The Student Room Group

I keep waking up late

Hi :smile: I have a lot of important A Level exams coming up (6 subjects) and I start in two weeks but I still have quite a bit to cover. I have a planned timetable which would allow me to finish everything just on time but it would require me to sacrifice some sleep. I'd say I'm a semi-nocturnal person and I tend to concentrate more from 4pm till around 5am but I have lot of things to study in a short amount of time and I really need to start focusing and starting my revision earlier in the morning.

My main problem at the moment seems to be waking up extremely late; I keep waking up at the same time everyday: at 12pm. I need to learn to start my day at around 8am at least because I don't want to fall behind but I can't seem to hear my alarm at all and I subconsciously turn it off when it goes on in the morning. I've tried putting it across the room, even installing an alarm on my laptop (which would require me to insert a password to switch it off - but I somehow do that in my sleep too).

I'm falling further and further behind every day because of this and I really need it to stop. I know many will say my brain needs sleep etc but at the moment I'm honestly sleeping up to 9 hours because of this problem and I've fallen so far behind that I'm worried I'm going to end up having to pull a lot of all nighters.

So is there any way I can solve this problem of oversleeping? :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

God, I have exactly the same problem. I am waking up at 12, although I'm setting up a bunch of alarms - I just get up, switch them off, and continue sleeping :biggrin: I would say that you should change the alarm signal to something more aggressive and startling and go to sleep with the idea that you should get up as soon as the alarm goes off or you're screwed :biggrin:
What I do when I need to sort out my sleeping pattern is instead of going to sleep, pull an all nighter so you'll be really tired the following day, then go to bed earlier (and therefore you'll wake up earlier).
Also set yourself a strict bed time- switch off all electrical devices half an hour before so you're not tempted to waste time online and get in bed.
If you're finding it difficult to fall asleep because it's earlier than usual for you, read a book until you feel sleepy (normally 20-40 minutes for me).
I can't stress the importance of sticking to set times. If you don't do this, then you won't be able to fix your problem.
Yep I do still live at home :smile: My parents are both on their 'leave' at the moment due to Easter and whatnot so they tend to wake up late as well haha so I can't really rely on them :redface:
Original post by Rumschpringe
What I do when I need to sort out my sleeping pattern is instead of going to sleep, pull an all nighter so you'll be really tired the following day, then go to bed earlier (and therefore you'll wake up earlier).
Also set yourself a strict bed time- switch off all electrical devices half an hour before so you're not tempted to waste time online and get in bed.
If you're finding it difficult to fall asleep because it's earlier than usual for you, read a book until you feel sleepy (normally 20-40 minutes for me).
I can't stress the importance of sticking to set times. If you don't do this, then you won't be able to fix your problem.

This sounds perfect actually and it definitely seems like something that would work so thank you I'll try out today! :smile: I'll definitely need to pull an all nighter today anyway to catch up on work so I'll give it a try :redface:
At around 11/12 at the moment :rolleyes:
go to bed earlier?

sleeping for 9 hours a night if you're working very hard is not unreasonable, you'll work more effectively if you rest well
Original post by doodle_333
go to bed earlier?

sleeping for 9 hours a night if you're working very hard is not unreasonable, you'll work more effectively if you rest well

Hmm I've tried that as well but I'll still end up waking up late, apparently I can be a deep sleeper.
Yeah to be honest I just need to motivate myself a bit more to wake up earlier and start my day fresh, it's all up to me in the end :smile: And I do need to set a more 'alarming' ring tone because the ones I use don't seem to push me up straight away so I'll try set a better tone to wake me up instantly :redface:

Thank you btw you helped loads :smile:
My solution was to hide my phone under my bed and set the volume to 'high'.

That way, in order to switch off the alarm in the morning I'd have to make an effort to find it and then switch it off. It was worked pretty well so far.
Reply 10
You don't need more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep. Try to get a loud alarm clock, put it far away from your bed. Ultimately though, it all comes down to will power.
Original post by TheStoryteller
Hmm I've tried that as well but I'll still end up waking up late, apparently I can be a deep sleeper.

habits are hard to break, if you can get yourself used to getting up at a reasonable time you will stop sleeping so late, ask your mum if she can come and force you up (tip cold water over you if necessary!) or set 20 alarms 2 minutes apart, you will be kept awake so long you wont go back to sleep - then you just need to have the self control to not go back to bed
Original post by L'Etudiant
My solution was to hide my phone under my bed and set the volume to 'high'.

That way, in order to switch off the alarm in the morning I'd have to make an effort to find it and then switch it off. It was worked pretty well so far.

Don't do this! Have you not heard about the apparent radiation mobile phones give out? My mum always warns me about it aswell. Experts say you should not sleep with your phone too near to you - ESPECIALLY not under your pillow because they said that for people who talk on the phone a lot, there is a risk of illnesses from radiation or whatever - because the phone is near to the head which is incredibly sensitive.

Research it (I don't explain well)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
As much of above but also - what exercise do you get? Some physical stimulation in the day will help regulate these types of things, I guarantee it. If your body is tired, your mind will follow, and you'll be happier too. (; Even if it's just a walk somewhere, try getting out and moving around in the day as a break, rather than sitting about revising every hour.
Original post by violetvictorious
Don't do this! Have you not heard about the apparent radiation mobile phones give out? My mum always warns me about it aswell. Experts say you should not sleep with your phone too near to you - ESPECIALLY not under your pillow because they said that for people who talk on the phone a lot, there is a risk of illnesses from radiation or whatever - because the phone is near to the head which is incredibly sensitive.

Research it (I don't explain well)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your post, Violet :smile:

Don't worry, I am not a phone guy lol, I always text instead of call and I never have my phone with me in bed as I have trouble falling asleep - it's under my bed lol!

Don't worry, I am not a phone guy lol, I always text instead of call and I never have my phone with me in bed as I have trouble falling asleep - it's under my bed lol!

Hehe, I misread - thought you said "under my pillow". But you're welcome anyhow

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put my phone (alarm) on the other side of the room so I have to physically get out of bed to turn it off.
Reply 18
No gains without pains.
Original post by awe
As much of above but also - what exercise do you get? Some physical stimulation in the day will help regulate these types of things, I guarantee it. If your body is tired, your mind will follow, and you'll be happier too. (; Even if it's just a walk somewhere, try getting out and moving around in the day as a break, rather than sitting about revising every hour.

I tend to study by walking around in circles around my room and reciting things aloud haha so I get quite a lot of exercise done whilst studying :smile: I've been trying to go for a short walk around the area though once a day towards sunset and it generally helps quite a lot and it's helping me fall asleep much earlier and waking up earlier so it definitely works :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending