The Student Room Group

Which colleges have ovens?

I love baking, and I've heard that cooking facilities vary from college to college, so I was wondering which ones have ovens? I'm not really interested in cooking meals for myself, I just want to be able to continue making cakes and the like.
Original post by CakeFrog
I love baking, and I've heard that cooking facilities vary from college to college, so I was wondering which ones have ovens? I'm not really interested in cooking meals for myself, I just want to be able to continue making cakes and the like.

Downing definitely does. I had an oven in first year (shared between 10 on my corridor), and in third year (2 shared between 10 in my house). Most staircases / houses have ovens! (I was very unlucky not to get one in second year, and often borrowed my friend's).

As for other colleges: I know that Caius have very little in the way of self-catering equipment (definitely no ovens!). I think Murray Edwards does. I would look at newer colleges (Fitz, Robinson, Churchill, Murray Edwards) as I think they tend to be more likely to have ovens :smile:
Reply 2
When I was an ovenless student I had a big dutch oven type of frying pan with a lid and I used to make good cakes in that using an electric ring (only one cake tin at a time though!). I believe that you can bake cakes in a rice cooker too, though I have never done this - google it for details. I think the ovens at Churchill are being phased out as they upgrade the staircases/kitchens but there still are some there.
Reply 3
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Downing definitely does. I had an oven in first year (shared between 10 on my corridor), and in third year (2 shared between 10 in my house). Most staircases / houses have ovens! (I was very unlucky not to get one in second year, and often borrowed my friend's).

As for other colleges: I know that Caius have very little in the way of self-catering equipment (definitely no ovens!). I think Murray Edwards does. I would look at newer colleges (Fitz, Robinson, Churchill, Murray Edwards) as I think they tend to be more likely to have ovens :smile:

Thanks! I'm leaning towards Downing, so that's good! :smile:

Original post by supamum
When I was an ovenless student I had a big dutch oven type of frying pan with a lid and I used to make good cakes in that using an electric ring (only one cake tin at a time though!). I believe that you can bake cakes in a rice cooker too, though I have never done this - google it for details. I think the ovens at Churchill are being phased out as they upgrade the staircases/kitchens but there still are some there.

I just googled about using a rice cooker for cakes, thanks for telling me about that!
Reply 4
St John's does not have ovens in first year but you can have one if you don't mind living 2 minutes out of college in second and third year.
Reply 5
Murray Edwards definitely does! :smile:
At Newnham you'd most likely have one in all three years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending