The Student Room Group

Can I get braces for 3 when I'm 3 months from turning 18? (NHS)

Hi,

I'm 17, turning 18 in 3 months and I was wondering if I could get braces for free via the NHS?

I have quite a bad overbite (Upper teeth going over bottom), large gaps between my teeth and one tooth is actually turning side-ways. Furthermore, the right side of my jaw is further back than my left side, so one of my front teeth are pushed back a bit. (My gappy teeth effects my speaking, I sometimes sound as though I have a lisp - Which I don't!)

I'm in full-time education (sixth form) and will be going to uni this year. So yeah, can I get braces for free?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aaron8976
Hi,

I'm 17, turning 18 in 3 months and I was wondering if I could get braces for free via the NHS?

I have quite a bad overbite (Upper teeth going over bottom), large gaps between my teeth and one tooth is actually turning side-ways. Furthermore, the right side of my jaw is further back than my left side, so one of my front teeth are pushed back a bit. (My gappy teeth effects my speaking, I sometimes sound as though I have a lisp - Which I don't!)

I'm in full-time education (sixth form) and will be going to uni this year. So yeah, can I get braces for free?

I don't think so.
I was in the same situation a few months ago and the waiting list was like a year and so once i hit eighteen they were telling me i would have to pay for the procedure...and it would cost about £4,000.

Likelyhood is you'll be on the waiting list long after you turn 18 and being at Uni doesn't matter anything.
(edited 9 years ago)
My orthodontist told me that they can be put on any time up until your 18th birthday. However, that might be quite hard since it takes a couple appointments before you actually get them put on, so most likely not if you haven't started the process already.

Quick Reply

Latest