The Student Room Group

How to prepare AEA?

So guys I'm doing AEA for fun only, but I really want to get a distinction even my uni doesn't require it. I do further math and I score very high on solomon P4-6 papers, but I just started to do AEA and I pretty much suck at it.

So how do I prepare it within 2 months?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
So guys I'm doing AEA for fun only, but I really want to get a distinction even my uni doesn't require it. I do further math and I score very high on solomon P4-6 papers, but I just started to do AEA and I pretty much suck at it.

Start focusing on why and not what (assuming you have not done).
Learning maths vs learning passing exams IMO is the difference between doing well on papers like AEA and not.
I few questions I always ask myself when I look at an AEA question:
"What do I know from the information given?"
"What techniques could I try that may not initially be obvious?"
"Am I being helped by previous parts of the question?"

I wrote a question and put it up in the exam forum. See what you would do with it.:smile:
Reply 2

There isn't specific practice for this - you just need to know the core material inside out and then practise the past papers to get familiar with the question style.

I believe there are sometimes meaty vector questions which contribute a fair few marks, so making sure you're confident with vectors is a good idea too!
Reply 3
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Start focusing on why and not what (assuming you have not done).
Learning maths vs learning passing exams IMO is the difference between doing well on papers like AEA and not.
I few questions I always ask myself when I look at an AEA question:
"What do I know from the information given?"
"What techniques could I try that may not initially be obvious?"
"Am I being helped by previous parts of the question?"

I wrote a question and put it up in the exam forum. See what you would do with it.:smile:

No calculator I assume? :smile:
No calculator I assume? :smile:

Won't need one.:smile:
TBH if you get a solution with one you still would have done well.
The hard bit is not putting numbers in per se. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Won't need one.:smile:
TBH if you get a solution with one you still would have done well.
The hard bit is not putting numbers in per se. :smile:

Cosine law I believe.
Cosine law I believe.

Ok, perhaps sit down with a pencil and paper.
AEA sometimes takes a bit of patience, not jumping in but trying a few different things with the numbers/info you have. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest