The Student Room Group

Present and future students of Medicine or Nursing...

What are your honest reasons for wanting to go into your chosen field? I'm asking because there is always so much in the media about poor care, and I have witnessed poor care and poor attitudes myself. As a first year student nurse I find this so hard to get my head around. Is this happening because people are going into healthcare for the wrong reasons to start with? I've certainly witnessed staff who don't seem to make patients their priority....
Reply 1
I want to go into nursing because of the care aspect; I think if a patient feels you care and you can empathise with them, they are going to feel better about what Im sure is a very stressful time. Its satisfaction and the thought of bieng able to help with both thier emotional and physical wellbieng.
And also I find the medical side cool, Im very into science :redface:

But youre right about the reasons for a lot of people. Money is one, it isnt a badly paid job. But it shouldnt be the only or main reason :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's so many stories about poor care because stories about good care or healthcare staff going the extra mile don't sell as many papers nor fit with the political agenda a vast majority of the media have.
Reply 3
Underpaid, overworked, unsupported staff = complacent staff. It's not really about making the wrong career choice
I'm doing radiotherapy, which has some aspects of nursing. I know it sounds a bit cliche but I want to help people and to do a job that has prospects and job satisfaction. Radiotherapy can have a curative element, and to think that I am a part of curing someone of a disease such as cancer ( which has claimed many of my own family and friends) makes me realise how worthwhile it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many many reasons
For the patients and myself.
Although there are many evil horror stories in the media about health care staff, there are also many many more about the good people do and how they go out their way to ensure their patients get the care they get is brilliant.
And for that I commend the staff.
I cant wait to become a nurse and to meet the amazing people along the way that im bound to meet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest