The Student Room Group

Moving to Vietnam for a couple of months - what do with girlfriend?

I recently got and accepted a job offer from Vietnam for an internship which will last for 3 months. Everything is already sorted for my trip apart from one thing; I'm not sure what to do with my girlfriend.. We have been together for nearly a year.

My girlfriend can't come with me, as she will be working in the UK during the summer so we won't be seeing each other.

I've never cheated on my girlfriend and I'm not really that kind of a guy, but lets get the facts straight, I'm not gonna be able to do 3 months without sex, especially as I have a massive thing for Asian girls.

After the internship, we will both we back to the same uni for one year and then I will be moving back to my home country (I'm an international student), so eventually we will have to break up anyways.

I'm trying to figure out my options here.

1. Stay together but have casual sexual relationships during the summer with Vietnamese girls. So basicly I would cheat on her and never tell her.. This would be the easiest option for me but obviously a very wrong thing to do.

2. Ask her to have a little break from our relationship, but continue next year at uni. It would be very convenient, as we do spend a lot of time together and help each other study as well. This would be a very mean and unacceptable thing to ask from a girl in my opinion.

3. Break up with her completely and let her find a man who is really worth her time and investment, especially knowin we're going to have to break up anyways after our last year at uni. This would be the most inconvinient and depressing option for me but perhaps the right thing to do?

What would you do in my situation? I am pretty sure most girls think I'm an a-hole and will suggest the third option.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Option 3. Or 2.

Option 1 shouldn't occur.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
This is seriously overthinking the whole situation.

It's already determined that you are going to hit up loads of girls over there - so let the chips fall where they may.

Tell your girlfriend this, and let her choose which option to go for. Problem solved.
There's always secret option no. 4: man up and go without sex for a couple of months for the sake of your relationship.

Doesn't sound like you care about this girl very much.
Reply 4
Original post by TurboCretin
There's always secret option no. 4: man up and go without sex for a couple of months for the sake of your relationship.

^^This^^
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I recently got and accepted a job offer from Vietnam for an internship which will last for 3 months. Everything is already sorted for my trip apart from one thing; I'm not sure what to do with my girlfriend.. We have been together for nearly a year.

My girlfriend can't come with me, as she will be working in the UK during the summer so we won't be seeing each other.

I've never cheated on my girlfriend and I'm not really that kind of a guy, but lets get the facts straight, I'm not gonna be able to do 3 months without sex, especially as I have a massive thing for Asian girls.

After the internship, we will both we back to the same uni for one year and then I will be moving back to my home country (I'm an international student), so eventually we will have to break up anyways.

I'm trying to figure out my options here.

1. Stay together but have casual sexual relationships during the summer with Vietnamese girls. So basicly I would cheat on her and never tell her.. This would be the easiest option for me but obviously a very wrong thing to do.

2. Ask her to have a little break from our relationship, but continue next year at uni. It would be very convenient, as we do spend a lot of time together and help each other study as well. This would be a very mean and unacceptable thing to ask from a girl in my opinion.

3. Break up with her completely and let her find a man who is really worth her time and investment, especially knowin we're going to have to break up anyways after our last year at uni. This would be the most inconvinient and depressing option for me but perhaps the right thing to do?

What would you do in my situation? I am pretty sure most girls think I'm an a-hole and will suggest the third option.

Mariella Frostrup has some advice for you:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/06/is-it-unfair-on-my-girlfriend-if-i-go-travelling
Why not just go the 3 months without sex? :curious: Surely you're not so ruled by your genitalia that you'll be unable to go without, especially for the sake of what sounds like a good relationship. If you absolutely believe you will have sex while in Vietnam break up with her, she deserves better. Plus with this 'little break' option you're making a big assumption that she's willing to just 'have a break' for 3 months, and you seem to expect her to wait for you? I'm trying not to jump straight on the 'you're an a-hole' wagon but you're not presenting yourself very well here. I just don't see why 3 months is really all that hard to go without. But like I said, if you will have sex in Vietnam, break up with her, it's only fair to her.
Reply 7
Original post by TurboCretin

Original post by MarieJanes
^^This^^

The problem is that I already know this would not work out for me and it would be a lot more unfair and difficult to start sorting this out by phone once I'm already there.

I honestly can't go without sex for long, I'm a very sexual person. Sometimes I masturbate over 10 times per day and I think about sex every single minute of the day except for when I'm eating something. When I was six I got kicked out of my pre-school because I was "harassing" other girls there, as I was trying to do sexual things to them and also masturbating there in preschool when I was only 6 :s-smilie:.

Also, if I couldn't have sex at all for 3 months I would rather not go for the job in the first place, as that would be a bit like going to prison for me.
keep your woman and just cheat . its not like she will find out
Reply 9
The problem is that I already know this would not work out for me and it would be a lot more unfair and difficult to start sorting this out by phone once I'm already there.

I honestly can't go without sex for long, I'm a very sexual person. Sometimes I masturbate over 10 times per day and I think about sex every single minute of the day except for when I'm eating something. When I was six I got kicked out of my pre-school because I was "harassing" other girls there, as I was trying to do sexual things to them and also masturbating there in preschool when I was only 6 :s-smilie:.

Also, if I couldn't have sex at all for 3 months I would rather not go for the job in the first place, as that would be a bit like going to prison for me.

Wow. I think there are some issues there beyond this post.. Have you ever seen someone about that?!! :eek:

And just break up with her jeez.

1. Don't even think about it.
2. If she's comfortable with it being an open relationship then that's fine but you'd have to sit down and discuss it properly. If she's completely comfortable, go ahead. If there's any doubt, don't do it.
3. This sounds like your best option because you're going to break up afterwards anyway plus 1 is unfair and 2 is unlikely.
Seeing as you've ruled out the sensible option 4, the only fair thing left to do is option 3.

Option 2 is okay if she's happy with it but she probably won't be and it may hurt the relationship later on, and option 1 is the dickhead option.
Reply 12
Definitely 3.
I feel it's quite an arrogant assumption that you will find multiple or a consistent girl over there willing to have sex with you.
remember to leave out some food and water for her while you're away
and if the neighbours are there while you're away, ask them to feed her if her food runs out

I honestly can't go without sex for long, I'm a very sexual person. Sometimes I masturbate over 10 times per day and I think about sex every single minute of the day except for when I'm eating something.

Forgive me if this comes across as me being rude, believe me, it's not meant to sound so, but you really need to go to your GP about this as it is a mental health issue that requires addressing. Don't be embarrassed, go!

What what you have said in mind, you have answered your own question really, haven't you hun? Don't be an a-hole and cheat. Respect her more than to do that.
Reply 16
Original post by sliceofcake
I feel it's quite an arrogant assumption that you will find multiple or a consistent girl over there willing to have sex with you.

I feel it's an equally arrongant assumption that I wouldnt? No in all seriousness I'm sure I would. I was there once and they were all after me! I have been told by loads of girls I'm very good looking (so I assume I must be? i hope at least! lol) and I tend to be quite good with girls in general.

Original post by MarieJanes
Forgive me if this comes across as me being rude, believe me, it's not meant to sound so, but you really need to go to your GP about this as it is a mental health issue that requires addressing. Don't be embarrassed, go!

What what you have said in mind, you have answered your own question really, haven't you hun? Don't be an a-hole and cheat. Respect her more than to do that.

Not rude at all, but I don't feel I need to see my GP about it, as it's not causing me any problems in my life apart from my girlfriends vagina getting quite sore sometimes (we do it about 5-10 times per day depending if its a work or no work day)

I didn't use to be as horny but I was put on testosterone medication a year ago and this made it a lot worse!
Reply 17
Original post by marinaim
Wow. I think there are some issues there beyond this post.. Have you ever seen someone about that?!! :eek:

And just break up with her jeez.

Forgot to quote this to my earlier post, yeah I have talked about it to my GP and he said "it's called being a young man".

By the way you look cute in your profile pic you little sweet cheeks :tongue:
Either break up with her or show some discipline and do the 90 (or so days) of doing nothing.

Edit: I should say, it always disgusts me whenever people talk about having "breaks". It's as if their relationship isn't really all that important and they're only together, until one or more of the partners finds someone they actually want.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Forgot to quote this to my earlier post, yeah I have talked about it to my GP and he said "it's called being a young man".

By the way you look cute in your profile pic you little sweet cheeks :tongue:

that sounds someeewhaaaat more than the average young man!! but nevermind.. maybe get a second opinion if it ever affects you

haha thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending