The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology Unit 2 Help?

Hello everyone. I am really struggling with Biology unit 2... I find it a lot more difficult than unit 1 and i am barely scrapping an A. I need some exam tips and just general ideas on improvements. I need to get a high A because i am counting on Biology to be my A* subject that will help me for medical school. On past papers i am dropping silly marks throughout the paper and there is not one part of the exam where i get maximum marks. Help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance. :smile:
Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
Hello!
I'm doing the same exam as you and I'm also finding it difficult.
I've been writing notes and generally just getting my head around topics (meiosis).
I'm going to do some past papers next week. I think that the key thing most people find hard are the How Science Works questions. That's how it is for me anyway.
Do you have the AQA textbook for the course? If so, I highly recommend doing the application questions.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
I'm not sure how much this helped but I thought I'd reply :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by amyyy163
Hello!
I'm doing the same exam as you and I'm also finding it difficult.
I've been writing notes and generally just getting my head around topics (meiosis).
I'm going to do some past papers next week. I think that the key thing most people find hard are the How Science Works questions. That's how it is for me anyway.
Do you have the AQA textbook for the course? If so, I highly recommend doing the application questions.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
I'm not sure how much this helped but I thought I'd reply :smile:

Thank you so much for your help. I definitely overlooked the application questions in the book, i shall be having a go at them now. Do you have any other general exam tips? Maybe as in your weakest areas and how you plan on improving them? But again thanks for the help! :biggrin:
Reply 4
BUMP
Reply 5
The application questions are difficult... I used to just look at the answers in the book straight away, but DON'T DO THIS. :wink: Just have a go, if you get them wrong it doesn't matter, right?

I found Immunology difficult in Unit 1. I did a huge poster with pictures (pacman for phagocytes) etc... It's now in my room and through looking at it every day I can now remember it :smile:

Also, mnemonics are great...
Kingdom King Kong
Phylum Please
Class Cool
Order Off
Family For
Genus Goodness
Species Sake

Haha! Yesterday I realised I didn't know much about meiosis (unit 2) so I searched for videos on youtube and found this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCLmR9-YY7o

He does all sorts of other Biology videos too (mitosis, DNA replication)....

I hope this has helped you!
You should private message me #studybuddies haha!
Also, do you have any tips for me on how to revise? :smile:
Getting high a this year makes no difference on whether you can get an a star next year though

Posted from TSR Mobile
What topics are you guys struggling on the most??
Reply 8
Original post by KimSmith1234
What topics are you guys struggling on the most??

Its isn't really any specific topic, its more or less mistakes along the whole paper. Like mistakes all the way throughout. Its really bad.
Reply 9
The application questions are difficult... I used to just look at the answers in the book straight away, but DON'T DO THIS. :wink: Just have a go, if you get them wrong it doesn't matter, right?

I found Immunology difficult in Unit 1. I did a huge poster with pictures (pacman for phagocytes) etc... It's now in my room and through looking at it every day I can now remember it :smile:

Kingdom King Kong
Phylum Please
Class Cool
Order Off
Family For
Genus Goodness
Species Sake

Haha! Yesterday I realised I didn't know much about meiosis (unit 2) so I searched for videos on youtube and found this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCLmR9-YY7o

I will defo have to PM you, i will message you my revision method and thanks for the tips, loved the mnemonic BTW.
Original post by Jatyization
Its isn't really any specific topic, its more or less mistakes along the whole paper. Like mistakes all the way throughout. Its really bad.

Yeah i have the same problem! :frown: i make stupid mistakes, i hate the how science works questions. I need to get an A on this paper though!
Original post by KimSmith1234
Yeah i have the same problem! :frown: i make stupid mistakes, i hate the how science works questions. I need to get an A on this paper though!

It is so bad isn't it! You just feel helpless simply because its hard to improve because its not just one topic but a whole range of them... Im glad i am not the only one though.
Reply 12

Kingdom King Kong
Phylum Please
Class Cool
Order Off
Family For
Genus Goodness
Species Sake

King
Phillip
Came
Over
For
German
Sausages.

Quick Reply

Latest