The Student Room Group

I'm being sexually harassed when I go out

What do you think about men getting sexually harassed at nightclubs? Does it ever happen to you and how do you feel about it?

Often it is discussed how girls get harassed but not so often how it can happen to men too.

I'm muscly, have big biceps and I get random girls who come and squeeze them when I go out to nightclubs. I do tend to wear quite tight (but not overly) t-shirts/polo shirts but do not intentionally try and show off.

Sometimes girls also squeeze my bum.

What do you think about this? In nowadays society it's always seen as very bad when similar things happen to women.

Perhaps it's my own fault for wearing too tight clothes? If someone said to a girl "well your own fault for dressing up slutty" all the feminists would immediately start raging.

This is just my personal view based on my own feelings: If the girl is hot it's not sexual harrasment but if she is fat and unattractive it definitely feels like I'm being abused.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think it is what you wear and it would probably still happen if you clearly have muscles.

I completely agreed with you until this line ..

" If the girl is hot it's not sexual harassment but if she is fat and unattractive it definitely feels like I'm being abused."

I don't think you can claim being abused if you only accept it as abuse some of the time. It isn't fair on the woman '"I am not comfortable with you doing that, but if you weren't so fat, it would be okay" (this is based on your mental processes)

I don't think it is appropriate to squeeze someone's body that you don't know male or female. I agree with you but your justification doesn't quite fit.

I kind of understand that if you're attracted to someone you are more likely to be flirty and kinder to them but if it is the behavioural action that you find harassing , it shouldn't make a difference whether she is hot or not.

I hope my points make sense and are not too confusing, I will happily clarify anything :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Polkadot2
I don't think it is what you wear and it would probably still happen if you clearly have muscles.

" If the girl is hot it's not sexual harassment but if she is fat and unattractive it definitely feels like I'm being abused."

I don't think you can claim being abused if you only accept it as abuse some of the time. It isn't fair on the woman '"I am not comfortable with you doing that, but if you weren't so fat, it would be okay" (this is based on your mental processes)

I don't think it is appropriate to squeeze someone's body that you don't know male or female. I agree with you but your justification doesn't quite fit.

I kind of understand that if you're attracted to someone you are more likely to be flirty and kinder to them but if it is the behavioural action that you find harassing , it shouldn't make a difference whether she is hot or not.

I hope my points make sense and are not too confusing, I will happily clarify anything :smile:

Yeah your points do make sense. The thing I said about being hot or nor, was just my personal feeling and not a statement of any sort.

But honestly, I wouldn't mind being raped by an attractive woman (if this was possible) but if she was unattractive I would only then properly call it rape. Again just a personal thing not a statement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think about men getting sexually harassed at nightclubs? Does it ever happen to you and how do you feel about it?

Often it is discussed how girls get harassed but not so often how it can happen to men too.

I'm muscly, have big biceps and I get random girls who come and squeeze them when I go out to nightclubs. I do tend to wear quite tight (but not overly) t-shirts/polo shirts but do not intentionally try and show off.

What do you think about this? In nowadays society it's always seen as very bad when similar things happen to women.

Perhaps it's my own fault for wearing too tight clothes? If someone said to a girl "well your own fault for dressing up slutty" all the feminists would immediately start raging.

This is just my personal view based on my own feelings: If the girl is hot it's not sexual harrasment but if she is fat and unattractive it definitely feels like I'm being abused.

No, it is wrong...

you've kind of argued against yourself here, assuming that is what people are going to say. I doubt anyone would say it is your fault for wearing tight clothing. If they did, it would be considered as deplorable as anyone else.

Also, 'if someone is fat and ugly' does not make it more harrassment than if someone is attractive. Get a grip.
Reply 4

Also forgot to say I cannot agree with your point in bold because for women it would be similar. For example a woman might accept a friendly slap on the bum by a good friend but if it was some creepy guy at the pub she would claim being abused. She would also accept it as abuse some of the time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5

But honestly, I wouldn't mind being raped by an attractive woman (if this was possible) but if she was unattractive I would only then properly call it rape. Again just a personal thing not a statement.

The entire 'point' of rape is that it is non-consensual. It is against the wishes of one of the people involved. It is rape. 'Not minding' is just passive d/s sex. It is not rape. Don't be a ****.
Reply 6

It definitely happens, just much less often. I've had a girl forceably kiss me before- she was a rugby player and caught me off guard. I also had a guy try to do it, and nearly got in a fight with him. Mainly all I get is people touching my long curly hair- about equal men and women. Some ask permission, some don't. If they're on drugs, they ****ing love it. I guess that isn't sexual, but uninvited touching is a bit dodgy, I don't really care, but some people might.

I guess people are never going to consider guys as vulnerable, especially bigger guys like you.

I think you're pre empting arguments a bit, I don't think many people will say it's ever ok to touch strangers uninvited. I would say if you're showing your body off, male or female, you can't complain about people looking, but touching is different.
Reply 7
Also forgot to say I cannot agree with your point in bold because for women it would be similar. For example a woman might accept a friendly slap on the bum by a good friend but if it was some creepy guy at the pub she would claim being abused. She would also accept it as abuse some of the time.

My point you highlighted was only relevant for your 2 situations ; hot or not strangers. For people you know. that is a different issue- it may be banter or maybe they're more flirty friends but the point is they are FRIENDS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by awe
The entire 'point' of rape is that it is non-consensual. It is against the wishes of one of the people involved. It is rape. 'Not minding' is just passive d/s sex. It is not rape. Don't be a ****.

Ok so what about a scenario, where a man passes out after drinking too much and falls asleep at a party. A woman goes to sleep next to her and starts touching his penis and doing other sexual things to him.. this is rape, right? This actually happened to some man in Sweden and he sued her for sexual abuse.

Ok now lets assume this person was me.. if the girl was attractive, and I would wake up later to see her doing things to me, I would not mind. It would have been non-consensual, as I was unconcious right? But yet once waking up I do not mind as she's hot so it's not really that bad. She has done a crime but yet i don't feel bad about it.

If the girl was unattractive on the other hand, I would feel very abused indeed.

Why are you insulting me when I'm just giving personal opinions?
Reply 9
Ok so what about a scenario, where a man passes out after drinking too much and falls asleep at a party. A woman goes to sleep next to her and starts touching his penis and doing other sexual things to him.. this is rape, right? This actually happened to some man in Sweden and he sued her for sexual abuse.
Ok now lets assume this person was me.. if the girl was attractive, and I would wake up later to see her doing things to me, I would not mind. It would have been non-consensual, as I was unconcious right? But yet once waking up I do not mind as she's hot so it's not really that bad. She has done a crime but yet i don't feel bad about it.
If the girl was unattractive on the other hand, I would feel very abused indeed. Why are you insulting me when I'm just giving personal opinions?

I'm not insulting you - I said don't be something. Just a little tip, you know.

In both cases this is sexual abuse. However in the second, it is your then consent that gives you the agency to decide, but ultimately it is still non-consensual sexual contact, that is very obvious. I think you're being very antagonistic about all of this. And the whole 'attractive' issue of it, as I'm sure you know, is brutally shallow and telling of your moral 'lad' character.
But honestly, I wouldn't mind being raped by an attractive woman

How can you be so sensitive about being harassed whilst you joke about sexual abuse? If you were forced into sex/ raped, this means you did not consent. Do you understand? But if you wouldn't mind, this is not rape, as . you are passively accepting/consenting of/to the situation.

Again, You cannot pick and choose when it is abuse, no matter what your personal opinion is.
Original post by awe
I'm not insulting you - I said don't be something. Just a little tip, you know.

In both cases this is sexual abuse. However in the second, it is your then consent that gives you the agency to decide, but ultimately it is still non-consensual sexual contact, that is very obvious. I think you're being very antagonistic about all of this. And the whole 'attractive' issue of it, as I'm sure you know, is brutally shallow and telling of your moral 'lad' character.

Well surely you wouldn't wanna have sex with someone you didn't find attractive? How is this shallow?

But honestly, I wouldn't mind being raped by an attractive woman

How can you be so sensitive about being harassed whilst you joke about sexual abuse? If you were forced into sex/ raped, this means you did not consent. Do you understand? But if you wouldn't mind, this is not rape, as . you are passively accepting/consenting of/to the situation.

Again, You cannot pick and choose when it is abuse, no matter what your personal opinion is.

I can't agree with "you cannot pick and choose" beacuse it only becomes abuse if you are not enjoying something. I mean if I would gently slap a girl on the bum and she would like it, it wouldn't be abuse, right? But if she did find it inappropriate, it would be abuse. Therefore she would "pick and choose" what is abuse and what is not. Do you see my point here?
(edited 9 years ago)

How is this offensive? I just said something about my own feelings. I'm sure for many guys being "abused" by an attractive girls would be a fantasy but for a girl, if this would happen it would most likely be absolutely horrible.

I am not a troll but yes my point was exactly to talk about equality. This was the purpose - does not make me a troll, just want to hear opinons on this.

Also the stuff definitely happens to me, and I see it happening to other people as well who clearly hit the gym a lot.

People are disagreeing with your opinion because you claim you want 'equality' yet you are picking and choosing.
Either it's harassment or not, you cannot make it dependent on their looks and still try to claim equality.
Oh, and slapping someone on the bum without consent is still 'abuse' even if it turns out they like it. Herein lies your issue.
Not that anyone is arguing it's any different to the rule for women apart from you.. :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by marinaim
People are disagreeing with your opinion because you claim you want 'equality' yet you are picking and choosing.
Either it's harassment or not, you cannot make it dependent on their looks and still try to claim equality.
Oh, and slapping someone on the bum without consent is still 'abuse' even if it turns out they like it. Herein lies your issue.
Not that anyone is arguing it's any different to the rule for women apart from you.. :s-smilie:

My point with equality was that I don't feel people would take it as seriously if the victim of such abuse was a male. People would easily make a joke about it.

The rest of the stuff was just explaining about how I personally feel about such abuse.

Hmm, I kinda see your point but according to that I'm a very abusive boyfriend :wink: (I have never asked 'may I give your bum a slap')
Surely it is the choice of the person being touched whether it is abuse or not? Isn't the issue here that you shouldn't just assume it is ok to molest someone in a club?

I know exactly what OP means, I've had girls full on grab my crotch on rare occasions and one a while back just shoved it down my pants. Imagine if that was a woman. I didn't really appreciate it and I told the bouncer who asked her to leave. But if a guy did that to a girl I have no doubt that the entire staff would jump all over the guy in addition to other punters who would restrain the guy until the police came.

If you're adamant about equality and rape culture then you HAVE to address this to be consistent. Otherwise you're full of it.
Original post by awe

If someone start doing something to you without consent, e.g. in OPs example when passed out, or really drunk or anything, at that point you did not consent. But you can wake up and not mind. Ie it was still rape.
Fairly obvious your whole post is a joke, but as you later mention in reality you like it. The inequality probably stems from that, girls are more likely to dislike it and feel abused/violated whereas it seems guys seem more likely to get an ego boost from it. They're both equally wrong but women see it as a problem so it's more acknowleged when it happens to women.
Well surely you wouldn't wanna have sex with someone you didn't find attractive? How is this shallow?

I can't agree with "you cannot pick and choose" beacuse it only becomes abuse if you are not enjoying something. I mean if I would gently slap a girl on the bum and she would like it, it wouldn't be abuse, right? But if she did find it inappropriate, it would be abuse. Therefore she would "pick and choose" what is abuse and what is not. Do you see my point here?

Yeah I agree that there isn't always the same physical threat unless it's actually some really big girl and you are only a skinny little guy :s-smilie:

The girl who got slapped on the bum may or may not see it as abuse- agreed

But the act of slapping someones bum can be classed as abuse, despite the individuals perspective.

For your situation, I think you are unreasonable because the girl touching you may not be in the right but how is she going to know whether it is appropriate/ whether you find her hot or not ?
Please stay on-topic, if you see posts which are rule-breaking, please report them

For your situation, I think you are unreasonable because the girl touching you may not be in the right but how is she going to know whether it is appropriate/ whether you find her hot or not ?

The same way men are expected to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending