The Student Room Group

C4: confused differential equations

Hi,

So, I've come across a question which I thought I worked out correctly but my answer is way off so now I'm left confused. The question was:

dydx=y(x+1)(x+2)\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y}{(x+1)(x+2)} and y=2, x=1

So I put the y terms on the LHS and the left the x terms on the RHS. I then split the fraction on the RHS. This gave me the following to integrate:

1ydy=1x+11x+2dx\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{y} dy = \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x+1} - \frac{1}{x+2} dx

This gave me the following:

ln|y| = ln|x+1| - ln|x+2| + c

c= ln|y| - ln|x+1| + ln|x+2|

c= ln|3| (when y=2, x=1, as given above).

Subbing this back into ln|y| = ln|x+1| - ln|x+2| + c gave me:

ln|y| = ln|x+1| - ln|x+2| + ln|3|

Raising everything to base e:

y=x+1 -(x+2) + 3
y=2

The correct answer is y=3(x+1)x+2 y=\frac{3(x+1)}{x+2}

When I took the approach of splitting the fraction, I was unsure if it was the correct thing to do, but I didn't know how else to approach the denominator.

Could anyone help?
Thanks
Marc
Reply 1
Hey. :biggrin:
What was the actual question asked?
It's easier to visualise your calculations against the actual question. :smile:

EDIT: Damn, it didn't show up how it does now... Sorry! Shame on me!

Your responses looks completely right so far...
I assume it's the application of the logarithm laws - they combine your terms and with ignorance of logarithms on both sides will equate to your differential equation in terms of x. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by marcsaccount
Hi,

So, I've come across a question which I thought I worked out correctly but my answer is way off so now I'm left confused. The question was:

So I put the y terms on the LHS and the left the x terms on the RHS. I then split the fraction on the RHS. This gave me the following to integrate:

1ydy=1x+11x+2dx\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{y} dy = \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x+1} - \frac{1}{x+2} dx

y=x+1 -(x+2) + 3
y=2

When I took the approach of splitting the fraction, I was unsure if it was the correct thing to do, but I didn't know how else to approach the denominator.

Could anyone help?
Thanks
Marc

lnx1lnx+2+ln3=ln3(x1)x+2ln|x-1|-ln|x+2|+ln|3|=ln|\frac{3(x-1)}{x+2}|
Hi,

y=x+1 -(x+2) + 3
y=2

Could anyone help?
Thanks
Marc

Log laws. Turn your logs to a single log.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by rayquaza17
lnx1lnx+2+ln3=ln3(x1)x+2ln|x-1|-ln|x+2|+ln|3|=ln|\frac{3(x-1)}{x+2}|

Hi - thanks for your help. Where does the line you wrote come into the working? What part did I go wrong?
Reply 5
[pleaseQUOTE]Hi,

y=x+1 -(x+2) + 3
y=2

Could anyone help?
Thanks
Marc

Please follow this link:

http://www.vivaxsolutions.com/maths/aldiffeqtns.aspx
Reply 6
Hi,

y=x+1 -(x+2) + 3
y=2

Could anyone help?
Thanks
Marc

When you raise the lns, the whole of the RHS is raised to a single e, not each separate component.
Reply 7
You can use log laws to simplify it :smile:
ln3 + ln(x+1) simplifies to ln3(x+1)
And then ln3(x+1) - ln(x+2) simplifies to ln(3(x+1)/(x+2))

Anti-log both sides and you've got your equation in terms of x :smile:
Reply 8
Cool - the log law works. Thanks guys :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by TSR561
When you raise the lns, the whole of the RHS is raised to a single e, not each separate component.

I used the log laws and solved it. I know the whole thing gets raised to the base e, but how would that look as opposed to what I did, because that is what I tried to do.
Hi,

When you exponentiate this, you do not get what is written below in blue. You would get:

elnx1lnx+2+ln3=eln3(x1)x+2[br]e^{ln|x-1|-ln|x+2|+ln|3|}=e^{ln|\frac{3(x-1)}{x+2}|}[br]

y=x+1 -(x+2) + 3
y=2

Could anyone help?
Thanks
Marc

See above.
Reply 11
See above.

Thanks! But after you've exponentiated it, where does the ln|x-1| come from, and where has the ln|y| gone?
Thanks! But after you've exponentiated it, where does the ln|x-1| come from, and where has the ln|y| gone?

Typo, I mean ln|x+1|

The ln|y| is now y. I haven't written it down though, I was explaining why your RHS is incorrect.

Do you understand now? :smile:
Reply 13
Typo, I mean ln|x+1|

The ln|y| is now y. I haven't written it down though, I was explaining why your RHS is incorrect.

Do you understand now? :smile:

Yes, I do, perfectly :smile:

Thanks you for your time and help.
Yes, I do, perfectly :smile:

Thanks you for your time and help.

No worries. :smile:

Good luck in any upcoming exams!
Reply 15
I used the log laws and solved it. I know the whole thing gets raised to the base e, but how would that look as opposed to what I did, because that is what I tried to do.

You raised the LHS by e, getting elnye^{ln|y|}. Similarly, the RHS becomes elnx+1lnx+2+ln3e^{ln|x+1|-ln|x+2|+ln3}. It's just a slightly different method. You would use log laws at this point, as opposed to earlier like you did.

Quick Reply

Latest