The Student Room Group

How would these results be for Medicine?

hello, im a pretty good student but i have some worst case scenarios. here is one for my grades, im looking to do medicine at a RUSSEL GROUP uni:

bio-A
chem-A
phys-A
maths-A
English-C
Computing-B
German-B
Business-A
History-B

i am expecting better but if this happens, can i still get into lets say UCL?
Original post by kelefi
hello, im a pretty good student but i have some worst case scenarios. here is one for my grades, im looking to do medicine at a RUSSEL GROUP uni:

bio-A
chem-A
phys-A
maths-A
English-C
Computing-B
German-B
Business-A
History-B

i am expecting better but if this happens, can i still get into lets say UCL?

English is a concern. What's the best case scenario and why the desperation for a Russell Group University? Furthermore there are other doctors to consider like AS results, predicted grades, references, personal statement, UKCAT or BMAT results, work experience. GCSEs are just one factor and with the exception of English, those grades would probably satisfy the minimum requirements at most places but would be far exceeded by the average if not most candidates.
Reply 2
No straight forward answer. Depends what else you have on your application and what the rest of the applicants are like. My friend with 9 A* got rejected on the basis of her GCSEs
GCSEs are only one part of the entire selection process. As you probably know, those GCSEs aren't the greatest (English especially is a concern) but if you really ace the rest of your application, it may well be fine. And why are you saying "Can I still get into UCL" as if it's a lower tier University? UCL is one of the top ranking universities in the world. And your grade for English is too low for UCL anyway, so you'd have to retake.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
realistically you want to be getting A* all the sciences to be doing medicine anywhere and ucl is very competitive and one of the more well known ones. The rest of your subjects aren't brilliant. medicine does focus on other things like previously mentioned but if your not getting ideal grades at gcse think whether you'll be getting them at a-level when the subjects get much tougher :/ and the grades matter more. Don't give up hope as you said that that's the worst case scenario, also don't just think about medicine think about other bio chemistry type careers as they can offer the same job security and even more interesting work prospects.
Reply 5
my expected grades are:
bio-A*
chem-A*
phys-A*
maths-A*
English-A*
Computing-A*
German-A*
Business-A*
History-A*

and i expect to achieve: