The Student Room Group

What colours can you get tattoos in?

I've had loads of henna tattoos in the past and I've been thinking about getting a proper tattoo at some point. Last year I had a henna tattoo done with the bird design that I want as an actual tattoo and I had tonnes of compliments. I went to Aussie for 3 weeks and had my arms showing all the time (I probably want it on my forearm) and pretty much everyone I talked to noticed it and said they liked the design and loved the colour because it went well with my pale skin. I even had a couple ask if it was genuine because they'd want a real one in that colour.

Is it possible to get tattoos in a similar colour to henna? Mine was sort of this colour, slightly lighter, but my skin colour is slightly lighter too:

http://www.findembassy.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/simple-henna-designs-157228.jpg

Or should I just buy my own henna stuff and do it myself until I decide to do it in black?

Scroll to see replies

You can get a tattoo in any colour, so yes you can get a brown henna colour :smile:
Reply 2
Its an really lovely design of henna tattoo i loved the design very much.
Reply 3
The opinions of others shouldn't be such a prominent feature in your decision to get a tattoo...

But yes, you can get tattoos in any colour- the ink can be mixed like paint- though white doesn't tend to go well on pale skin.
Yes you can get tattoos in any colour :smile:
It is a pretty good design.
Reply 6
ofcourse you can get tatoos in any colour.....:smile:
Original post by flyyoufools
I've had loads of henna tattoos in the past and I've been thinking about getting a proper tattoo at some point. Last year I had a henna tattoo done with the bird design that I want as an actual tattoo and I had tonnes of compliments. I went to Aussie for 3 weeks and had my arms showing all the time (I probably want it on my forearm) and pretty much everyone I talked to noticed it and said they liked the design and loved the colour because it went well with my pale skin. I even had a couple ask if it was genuine because they'd want a real one in that colour.

Is it possible to get tattoos in a similar colour to henna? Mine was sort of this colour, slightly lighter, but my skin colour is slightly lighter too:

http://www.findembassy.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/simple-henna-designs-157228.jpg

Or should I just buy my own henna stuff and do it myself until I decide to do it in black?

I absolutely love henna tattoos :love: !!! However I would never consider getting it done permanently and I definitely recommend you not to either.

Why don't you try and learn to apply it yourself ?
Lookup 'henna sticker' . I have never used it however I've seen it in many places so you could give it a go :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Catherine_H
You can get a tattoo in any colour, so yes you can get a brown henna colour :smile:

Reply 9
Original post by Nurein
Its an really lovely design of henna tattoo i loved the design very much.

The photo was just for colour reference, the design I actually want is around birds :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by BKS
The opinions of others shouldn't be such a prominent feature in your decision to get a tattoo...

But yes, you can get tattoos in any colour- the ink can be mixed like paint- though white doesn't tend to go well on pale skin.

Nah I've always wanted a tattoo and I've been playing with the design for years, the only thing other people are possibly influencing in any way is the colour. Thanks, I looked into white ones but apparently they go weird if you burn or tan in any way so I'm keeping my distance.
Reply 11
Original post by SeventeenSeconds
Yes you can get tattoos in any colour :smile:

Thanks, I was under the impression they were usually just the blues/red/greens/yellows because they're the ones I see most.
Reply 12
Original post by kevinkrieger
It is a pretty good design.

The picture was just for reference with the colour. The actual design is my own and to do with birds :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by zain321
ofcourse you can get tatoos in any colour.....:smile:

Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by Blackberry rocks
I absolutely love henna tattoos :love: !!! However I would never consider getting it done permanently and I definitely recommend you not to either.

Why don't you try and learn to apply it yourself ?
Lookup 'henna sticker' . I have never used it however I've seen it in many places so you could give it a go :smile:

Yeah I love them too and I've been doing them myself for a while just that the design I get is my own and it's a bit complicated so usually takes me an hour or two to do it but it fades within a couple weeks :frown: That's why I was thinking of getting a permanent tattoo just that black might be too much of a contrast against my pale skin for what I want.
Reply 15
Any colour is possible I think. Obviously blacks, greens, reds, blues are probably a lot more common...but I've seen pink and even white but apparently it doesn't take so well to skin and fades so some parlours don't use white ink. I've never seen brown but doesn't mean you can't get it.
Reply 16
Original post by lou_100
Any colour is possible I think. Obviously blacks, greens, reds, blues are probably a lot more common...but I've seen pink and even white but apparently it doesn't take so well to skin and fades so some parlours don't use white ink. I've never seen brown but doesn't mean you can't get it.

Yeah, I looked up white tattoos and apparently they screw up if you tan or get burnt so I'm definitely not going for that :P Thanks
White tends to heal yellow (if you are white mind, I couldn't tell you about brown or black skin as it's not what I've got), but everything else is pretty much good to go. White looks good as a highlight more than anything else, to stop it looking too cartoonish (unless that's what you want). My mum has a fairy with all of the colours in the rainbow across her wings, I'm getting something similar as well.
I've got orange in my rose on my ankle, my dad got pink, red and orange flowers for me and my brother.
My friend got a tattoo with a brown outline instead of black because it suited the design better.
Reply 18
Original post by minimarshmallow
White tends to heal yellow (if you are white mind, I couldn't tell you about brown or black skin as it's not what I've got), but everything else is pretty much good to go. White looks good as a highlight more than anything else, to stop it looking too cartoonish (unless that's what you want). My mum has a fairy with all of the colours in the rainbow across her wings, I'm getting something similar as well.
I've got orange in my rose on my ankle, my dad got pink, red and orange flowers for me and my brother.
My friend got a tattoo with a brown outline instead of black because it suited the design better.

Yeah, I'm white. Did the brown outline look decent? Or just dirty?
Reply 19
Original post by flyyoufools
Nah I've always wanted a tattoo and I've been playing with the design for years, the only thing other people are possibly influencing in any way is the colour. Thanks, I looked into white ones but apparently they go weird if you burn or tan in any way so I'm keeping my distance.

If you're sure then it's all good

The problem with white is it just don't show up. I tried like hell to get a white tattoo, got it gone over 4 times, and you could see it if you went looking for it but you'd never know to look for it if I didn't tell you it was there.

Tans are just the top layer of your skin, tattoos are under that so they barely get effected. In time (we're talking well over ten years) they do start to fade and the sun is part of that but that happens with all colours (but then you can get it touched up).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending