The Student Room Group

Best Insurance Company for Young Drivers?

Hopefully I haven't missed a thread similar.
I'm just wondering what people's experiences were with insurance companies as new drivers.

I just got a 1.2 Nissan Micra and I'm hunting around for insurance quotes. I've had a pretty wide range of quotes from companies - most of them are surprisingly good (ranging anywhere from about £900-2000). Definitely better than some of the nightmare insurance quotes I've heard from other students first cars. I'm prepared to pay a high excess and that seems to bring it down a lot.

What do you guys think about Telematics insurance?

Are behavior boxes worth it? (baring in mind I'm not going to be bombing around the town/motorway in a tiny Micra - though I'd never buy a box with a night time driving curfew).

I've been using comparison sites for mine, but I'm aware not all companies are registered, and It'd be nice to see what people generally opt for.

Who did you insure with? And what were your prices like?
Reply 1
I wouldn't have a box installed in my car, makes me think of Big Brother.

I would just use a website like compare the market and go with the cheapest company that offers what you want.
Reply 2
I'm with Tesco bank box insurance and have no problems with them, you don't get given a night time curfew - that's the main reason I went with them as where I used to work I finished after 11pm.

You get up to 100 bonus miles per month and can also get extra for driving on motorways as they class them as safer roads.

For my first car, it cost me £550 for the whole year which is pretty decent and a couple of hundred pounds less than other quotes without boxes.

As long as you drive safely and within the speed limits you'll be fine and won't be penalized.

Just remember, that after a year of having it you'll have 1 years NCB and can probably get cheaper standard insurance which is what I plan on doing.
Reply 3
Admiral group seem to be the cheapest for young people.
Original post by Sabstars
I'm just wondering what people's experiences were with insurance companies as new drivers.

I just got a 1.2 Nissan Micra and I'm hunting around for insurance quotes. I've had a pretty wide range of quotes from companies - most of them are surprisingly good (ranging anywhere from about £900-2000). Definitely better than some of the nightmare insurance quotes I've heard from other students first cars. I'm prepared to pay a high excess and that seems to bring it down a lot.

Are behavior boxes worth it? (baring in mind I'm not going to be bombing around the town/motorway in a tiny Micra - though I'd never buy a box with a night time driving curfew).

I've been using comparison sites for mine, but I'm aware not all companies are registered, and It'd be nice to see what people generally opt for.

Try getting quotes from the companies directly, as it usually works out cheaper than going through the comparison site and you can get better deals.
Also try aviva, direct line and churchill as they arent on comparison sites.
And whatever you do- dont have a black box. They are ****.
Reply 5

Make sure to save the quote details.................as prices can vary depending on the time of day and which day of the month and when you want it applied.
I just did mine, luckily saved the £700 quote a while back while searching as I was bored and renewal was coming up and checking again it was coming up at £900-£1000.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Try getting quotes from the companies directly, as it usually works out cheaper than going through the comparison site and you can get better deals.
Also try aviva, direct line and churchill as they arent on comparison sites.
And whatever you do- dont have a black box. They are ****.

screenshot.png
churchill are on comparrison sites
but still pretty cheap.
Original post by decgreen
screenshot.png
churchill are on comparrison sites
but still pretty cheap.

Fair enough.
I always thought they wherent on comparison sites for some reason- i swear ive seen an advert which says they arent on them. But obviously they are.
Reply 8

Admiral is a good one to go for if your household has more than 1 car as you can get a multi-car discount. Doesn't always work out to be the cheapest though.

If you are a HSBC UK bank customer and you don't live in a high risk area it is worth checking them out as they do have some good deals going on.

However the best I've found so far is with Tesco, their rates are fairly competitive but service levels are barely adequate. They do a telematic system as well, no curfew unlike many of these systems. They are good for as long as you don't do anything silly as it does monitor how you accelerate and brake, excellent if you drive a hybrid or electric car and trying to gain the best possible mileage. However it is only good if you can do it naturally and not keep your mind on it till it prevents you from 100% concentration while driving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending