The Student Room Group

Psychology buss

Explain the behaviour of participant
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

He could have that thing where when he's looking one way but it looks like he's looking somewhere else?

Or he might be trying to do an impression of Julian from Only God Forgives?

Hm I don't know. Might be worth just grabbing his face and forcing to look at you, and be all like "why aren't you looking at me?!"
Well, he is a bit like me i don't really like to look in to anyone's eyes for a long time, no more than 3 seconds. Then i will stare somewhere else while i talk i guess he is that or something else.
I think it's more likely that he's just weird - I give eye contact even to ugly girls :lol:
Reply 4
Don't take it personally - this isn't supposed to sound harsh so please do not take offence, but his world doesn't revolve around you and it's quite a jump to think it's just about you. A lot of people don't like to make eye contact, I highly doubt it will be for a reason involving you. It's just how some people are. I used to have a bit of a problem with it, for me and I'm sure for many others it's just part of social anxiety. If you're bothered by it maybe just don't speak with him. Or get over it and speak to him anyway, so long as he's nice. (:
Or, he could be like me and doesn't make eye contact because he is nervous, or just generally a shy person. I tend to stare anywhere but eyes, I can make eye contact for a few seconds but usually end up staring so where around/close to the eyes. Be thankful he's not giving you a frickin creepy ass stare down or anything :tongue:

Youve only met, give him time to be more comfortable :tongue:
Reply 6
Maybe it's the opposite? Perhaps he fancies you/finds you attractive? Eye contact is non-existent when I meet a pretty girl :colondollar:
Original post by Urban Ace
Maybe it's the opposite? Perhaps he fancies you/finds you attractive? Eye contact is non-existent when I meet a pretty girl :colondollar:

This. I'm too ugly to be looked at

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most people don't maintain eye contact throughout a conversation. I find it quite weird and unnerving when they do, because it's not natural behaviour unless you acquire it by training yourself.

I often stare blankly into space if someone is talking at me and I'm not really thinking about responding, usually if I'm thinking about something else. I appreciate that it's quite rude but lots of people do it naturally. As a rule, the more engaged someone is, the more eye contact they'll make, but this applies to individuals only and everyone has their own limit.

There's also the 'shy' possibility of course. Or maybe he doesn't look anyone in the eye. Have you established any kind of baseline based on what he does with other people?
Reply 9
Original post by arfah
A guy I just met recently seems to always AVOID EYE CONTACT with meee. Even when he talks to me he just blankly stares into space and talks. but It's pissing me off so badly :frown: Sometimes I just feel like asking him if he thinks I'm too ugly for him to look at or something...

He's either really shy or a bit autistic
Is he a Muslim?
Original post by Kj2013
He's either really shy or a bit autistic

Not being able to look into someone's eyes does not mean that you're autistic. That is one tiny, tiny part of a massive spectrum.
Original post by Urban Ace

Original post by The_Blade
This. I'm too ugly to be looked at

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously lol ? When I find a girl really hot I can barely keep my eyes of her , man up. Eye contact with a hot girl is just phwoar , especially when you keep the glare for longer than a few seconds and you can feel the sexual tension just bubbling up .

OP he might just be an insecure beta or he might find you uninteresting , hopefully the later
Reply 13
Original post by russellsteapot
Most people don't maintain eye contact throughout a conversation. I find it quite weird and unnerving when they do, because it's not natural behaviour unless you acquire it by training yourself.

I often stare blankly into space if someone is talking at me and I'm not really thinking about responding, usually if I'm thinking about something else. I appreciate that it's quite rude but lots of people do it naturally. As a rule, the more engaged someone is, the more eye contact they'll make, but this applies to individuals only and everyone has their own limit.

There's also the 'shy' possibility of course. Or maybe he doesn't look anyone in the eye. Have you established any kind of baseline based on what he does with other people?

He looks at other people when he's talking to them! SO UNFAIR!! I don't think he actually thinks I'm ugly since he was the one that started talking to me...?
Some people have issues with eye contact, particularly if you've not known them long.
Reply 15
Original post by matchdayG
Is he a Muslim?

Not that I'm aware off. I'm curious though would it make a difference if he was muslim? :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by The_Dragonborn
He could have that thing where when he's looking one way but it looks like he's looking somewhere else?

Or he might be trying to do an impression of Julian from Only God Forgives?

Hm I don't know. Might be worth just grabbing his face and forcing to look at you, and be all like "why aren't you looking at me?!"

I'm considering your suggested approach of grabbing his face :colone:
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Seriously lol ? When I find a girl really hot I can barely keep my eyes of her , man up. Eye contact with a hot girl is just phwoar , especially when you keep the glare for longer than a few seconds and you can feel the sexual tension just bubbling up .

OP he might just be an insecure beta or he might find you uninteresting , hopefully the later

Plot twist: You were looking in the mirror :colone:
My partner has Asperger's Syndrome and this is a symptom - although he can look me in the eyes now. He couldn't at the beginning, and there are very few people who he can.
He's shy

Quick Reply

Latest