The Student Room Group

OCR AS psychology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ttreb
The stimulus may be why the research was conducted, so for example, Milgram was testing his "Nazis are different" hypothesis. Piliavin's research stemmed from the murder of Kitty Genovese.

It's not necessarily background, and it is unlikely they will ask a question on background factor, but it is useful to back your answers up with more knowledge :smile:

Ahh, thank you! :smile:
Hey! I've been ill the last couple of days when my teacher went through the Section C for G542 Core studies.. Anyone who knows how to answer this section? With any short methods to remember for the exam? I hope Milgram comes up as well!!!! I love that study :biggrin:
How is the prep for psychological investigations going? I have a geography exam on monday and then psychology investigations on tuesday urrrg..

Any tips for this exam will be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 43
Hey guys!
Hope revision's going welll for all you. I found this powerpoint for revision notes for the investigations exam on monday. Hope you find it helpful and good luck everyone!

http://www.slideshare.net/jamiedavies/psych-investigations-revision-powerpoint?type=powerpoint
Reply 44
Hey, does anyone have any notes on the Core Studies particularly for section B, like strengths/weaknesses, how they could be improved and the implications of these improvements, etc.? Doesn't have to be for all 15, just the ones that are likely to come up.

I'm resitting this exam and I can't find any of my notes from last year so I'm really panicking, haha.
Original post by AyeshaAK
How is the prep for psychological investigations going? I have a geography exam on monday and then psychology investigations on tuesday urrrg..

Any tips for this exam will be appreciated :biggrin:

I'm slightly terrified now its just round the corner. Lucky I have no exams between now and then, so hard core revision time.
Original post by SophF_rth
I'm slightly terrified now its just round the corner. Lucky I have no exams between now and then, so hard core revision time.

Lol how lucky.. I have geography on monday, psychology on tuesday, sociology on thursday and geography again on that friday .. arrrg
Original post by ttreb
Definitely. Last year we had a question along the lines of "a psychologist is sitting on a bench observing behaviour..."

and the answer would only receive a mark if the word "bench" was found in it. Annoying, but can bump your marks up :smile:

Thank you for your helpful post about context :smile: I'm just wondering, do you have the mark scheme for June 2013, or if not do you know where I can find it? I just did the past paper for it and realised I can't find the mark scheme -.-

I also did AS last year. I thought I actually did good on g541 and did bad on the studies, but turns out I spent too much time worrying about the studies that I ended up doing badly on psychological investigations. Because it's considered so easy, remember they put the pass rate high, so make sure you do spend some time on this one.
I was stupid -.-
Reply 48
Original post by Cpie21
Hey guys!
Hope revision's going welll for all you. I found this powerpoint for revision notes for the investigations exam on monday. Hope you find it helpful and good luck everyone!

http://www.slideshare.net/jamiedavies/psych-investigations-revision-powerpoint?type=powerpoint

This powerpoint is really useful, thank you!! :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by janicee
Thank you for your helpful post about context :smile: I'm just wondering, do you have the mark scheme for June 2013, or if not do you know where I can find it? I just did the past paper for it and realised I can't find the mark scheme -.-

I also did AS last year. I thought I actually did good on g541 and did bad on the studies, but turns out I spent too much time worrying about the studies that I ended up doing badly on psychological investigations. Because it's considered so easy, remember they put the pass rate high, so make sure you do spend some time on this one.
I was stupid -.-

No problem :smile:

I don't unfortunately, and I'm kinda confused as to why OCR haven't put the June 13 mark schemes online yet...they would be so helpful, sorry!

Do you know, I think a lot of people made that mistake, and it's only natural because core studies is worth so much of the AS grade :eek:. You're right about the pass rate being so high, on one of my g541 past papers, to get an A you could only drop 7 marks. Crazy!
Original post by ttreb
No problem :smile:

I don't unfortunately, and I'm kinda confused as to why OCR haven't put the June 13 mark schemes online yet...they would be so helpful, sorry!

Do you know, I think a lot of people made that mistake, and it's only natural because core studies is worth so much of the AS grade :eek:. You're right about the pass rate being so high, on one of my g541 past papers, to get an A you could only drop 7 marks. Crazy!

Yeah it's really strange o.o thank you for replying anyway ^-^ Aww that is actually so horrible D: Scary stuff haha. And yeah, it was my fault though if I had started revising earlier I wouldn't be in this mess! I really hate myself for last year, I started revising really late so I just prioritised core studies. I didn't realise how important it was. For me, uni feels so far away in year 12. But it comes so soon O:
Reply 51
Original post by janicee
Yeah it's really strange o.o thank you for replying anyway ^-^ Aww that is actually so horrible D: Scary stuff haha. And yeah, it was my fault though if I had started revising earlier I wouldn't be in this mess! I really hate myself for last year, I started revising really late so I just prioritised core studies. I didn't realise how important it was. For me, uni feels so far away in year 12. But it comes so soon O:

Yeah but you can't focus on last year, you gotta stay calm and ace it this year :biggrin: I came out of the g541 exam last year and thought I did crap. The two 10 markers killed me and I thought that I hadn't answered anything remotely well, but it turned out I only dropped three marks, so it definitely can be done, even when the exam seems like it went crazy bad. Uni comes around fast and hits you in the face hahaha. Make sure you start planning your personal statement early, believe me writing that is worse than revision :wink:
Original post by ttreb
Yeah but you can't focus on last year, you gotta stay calm and ace it this year :biggrin: I came out of the g541 exam last year and thought I did crap. The two 10 markers killed me and I thought that I hadn't answered anything remotely well, but it turned out I only dropped three marks, so it definitely can be done, even when the exam seems like it went crazy bad. Uni comes around fast and hits you in the face hahaha. Make sure you start planning your personal statement early, believe me writing that is worse than revision :wink:

Wow that's awesome, you've actually given me hope :smile: and haha yeah I completely agree with you! Thankfully I've actually done my personal statement but yeah that was pretty horrifying xD I need 300 UCAS points though and other people might think that isn't high but it seriously horrifies me. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting in this year because I'm doing this year's exams and two more retakes! Keeping a calm head is hard but yeah I'll give it a try (:
Original post by AyeshaAK
Lol how lucky.. I have geography on monday, psychology on tuesday, sociology on thursday and geography again on that friday .. arrrg

WOW. That's loads in the first week, we don't even get study leave till this coming friday so that would be horrible for us. I have a busy week the next week though. Don't want to think about it right now!!
If I'm honest I'm not too worried about psychological investigations, I had a mock recently and got 55/60 with just a little revision I did in a free period before it. I'm bricking it for the core studies exam though, I've worked really hard this year and got a good grade in my mock so I'm hoping I can do just as well in the real exam, but I've been stressing out so much that I feel like I've forgotten everything :C

Next week I have psyc investigations exam, history and french, then the week after I have core studies, biology and another history. 6 exams in the next two weeks :'(
Reply 55
Original post by Claros
If I'm honest I'm not too worried about psychological investigations, I had a mock recently and got 55/60 with just a little revision I did in a free period before it. I'm bricking it for the core studies exam though, I've worked really hard this year and got a good grade in my mock so I'm hoping I can do just as well in the real exam, but I've been stressing out so much that I feel like I've forgotten everything :C

Next week I have psyc investigations exam, history and french, then the week after I have core studies, biology and another history. 6 exams in the next two weeks :'(

Wow well done on the mock!
I'm not too worried about investigations either but then again it is easier to get an A in this one than it is in the core studies so I'm putting some work in today.
I have 5 exams in a week including 2maths a chemistry a biology and then psychology so I'm dying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by sawenexo
This powerpoint is really useful, thank you!! :smile:

Glad it helped you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cpie21
Wow well done on the mock!
I'm not too worried about investigations either but then again it is easier to get an A in this one than it is in the core studies so I'm putting some work in today.
I have 5 exams in a week including 2maths a chemistry a biology and then psychology so I'm dying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh jeez, I'd hate to have so many in one week. One of my friends has 3 exams in one day, so I feel really sorry for her :redface: Still, hopefully your exams finish quite early? My last one is on the 2nd of June
Reply 58
Original post by Claros
Oh jeez, I'd hate to have so many in one week. One of my friends has 3 exams in one day, so I feel really sorry for her :redface: Still, hopefully your exams finish quite early? My last one is on the 2nd of June

I'm stressing so much I have my unit 1 politics and core studies on the same day... I'm worried I'll forget everything for the core studies exam because my politics is first at 9am and then my core studies at 1:30 :'( But yes my last exam is also on the 2 of June!! Can't wait to finish... just wish I had revised so much sooner for these exams! I keep doing this to myself and I never learn ahah well a2 will deffo be the year that I start revision from day 1 or I'll be screwed
Reply 59
Original post by Claros

I finish on the 10 of June :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending