The Student Room Group

Selfies

Why has it slowly become acceptable for people to post endless pictures of their face online? Some people's facebook and Instagram profiles are literally a massive collection of face shots - with different angles and filters. It's not just girls, it's guys too! How did this level of vanity become normal? Do these people not have friends to take photos of them, or any else interesting in their lives besides their face... Sometimes they have captions like 'night out with the girls' or 'bbq' but it's never relevant to the fact it's literally a picture of their face.

And don't get me started on that awful duck pout.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Why has it slowly become acceptable for people to post endless pictures of their face online? Some people's facebook and Instagram profiles are literally a massive collection of face shots - with different angles and filters. It's not just girls, it's guys too! How did this level of vanity become normal? Do these people not have friends to take photos of them, or any else interesting in their lives besides their face... Sometimes they have captions like 'night out with the girls' or 'bbq' but it's never relevant to the fact it's literally a picture of their face.

I'm rather against taking selfies but have found that when I'm with friends whom I don't see very often (if they live in another city or country for example) I find myself going with the trend and taking a few selfies to remember both the moments and people by.
I agree with you about the vanity of people taking regularly with anyone they see, but I think occasionally a selfie can be a nice thing to have :smile:
Original post by DouglasAdams
I'm rather against taking selfies but have found that when I'm with friends whom I don't see very often (if they live in another city or country for example) I find myself going with the trend and taking a few selfies to remember both the moments and people by.
I agree with you about the vanity of people taking regularly with anyone they see, but I think occasionally a selfie can be a nice thing to have :smile:

I see nothing wrong with selfies with friends, it's just the hundreds of photos which are literally someone's face that I find odd.
I see nothing wrong with selfies with friends, it's just the hundreds of photos which are literally someone's face that I find odd.

Aha, agreed with you there then.
Society has come to accept self obsession and arrogance, so more and more people are embracing it which is why selfies are the new "trend". It's quite sad really.
I hardly ever post selfies online. I do take more than some because I'm bored/to send to my boyfriend (LDR) but apart from that, no one sees them. Except if I find them fecking hilarious. I might show a couple of people then.
Reply 6

I remember meeting a girl that looked nothing like she did online, to the point where I didn't even recognise her lol.

Don't really get all these side-angle / tilt faces / half face in shot too,I can't identify you..
When did it become acceptable for people to haughtily criticize others for uploading pictures of themselves to the internet?
Reply 8
Because I'm bored and I don't care what people who share your opinion think mainly

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's because cameras are so easily available now, they're pretty much on most phones so anyone can become an amateur photographer really. If you mix that with narcissism you get selfies :h:

But before all the front facing camera stuff, people just took mirror shots for bebo and myspace anyway :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Why does it bother you? Just don't look at them/delete them from Facebook or whatever. I hardly see the need to complain about it.
Why should it be unacceptable?
Reply 12

I'm planning on taking topless selfies of myself under a waterfall when I go to Thailand later this year!!!

And then I'm going to get someone to take a short video of me twerking.
It's just narcissism culture, I guess :dontknow:
It doesn't really bother me, I don't have to look if I don't want to :lol:
Meh boredom and a tad of vanity? Either way I just skip past them whenever I am on facebook
Reply 15
Original post by marinaim
Because I'm bored and I don't care what people who share your opinion think mainly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well thats a lie I see to recall your "am i ugly" thread #lolbeans
Boredom, incessant need for approval, wanting attention etc.
Reply 17
I'll reply in a second...but first let me take another selfie. #selfie
Original post by effofex
I'm planning on taking topless selfies of myself under a waterfall when I go to Thailand later this year!!!

And then I'm going to get someone to take a short video of me twerking.

You go boy. #twerkteam
Reply 19
Original post by Xscape
Well thats a lie I see to recall your "am i ugly" thread #lolbeans

lol I've never had a thread like that. If you mean the one where I attempted to ask for opinions on how I looked that day, that's a different thing. caring =/= wanting opinions. As I realised, not gonna wear that dress again from it.

Quick Reply

Latest