The Student Room Group

Kind of worried about GCSEs

So I've been watching GCSE results day videos and managed to freak myself out from them. They've all been saying 'Oh, I worked really hard for my results'.
The problem is, I haven't. I've finished revising science which is fine, but in terms of history, geography, English and French and German, I'm really not doing all that much :/ I'm about halfway through History and Geography, and for French and German I already consistently get A*s, so I figured just a bit of revision was needed for that. I've listened a lot in English lessons and am confident that I know the two books pretty well, so I was only going to do a bit in that too. But now, after watching those videos in which they're going on about how hard they worked, I feel as if I should be working equally as hard? I'm predicted 10A*s and 2As, but I'm worried I won't get those grades due to being too relaxed about GCSEs?! Help please? Do I need to step up my revision in these next three weeks?

Scroll to see replies

Some people need to work harder than others, that's just how life is (don't you have better/more important things to do than watch people getting their results pn Youtube? :tongue:)
Some people need more revision than others but it seems to me that you'll be okay with less. So don't worry about others just focus in yourself. I think you'll do great - best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by majmuh24
Some people need to work harder than others, that's just how life is (don't you have better/more important things to do than watch people getting their results pn Youtube? :tongue:)

Oh, right. That's a fair point xD I just feel lazy compared to all of my friends who are working their asses off xD
Well.. Yeah :colondollar: I don't know why I do it, I just do sometimes :tongue: It's developed into a weird habit xD
Original post by suzylemonade
So I've been watching GCSE results day videos and managed to freak myself out from them. They've all been saying 'Oh, I worked really hard for my results'.
The problem is, I haven't. I've finished revising science which is fine, but in terms of history, geography, English and French and German, I'm really not doing all that much :/ I'm about halfway through History and Geography, and for French and German I already consistently get A*s, so I figured just a bit of revision was needed for that. I've listened a lot in English lessons and am confident that I know the two books pretty well, so I was only going to do a bit in that too. But now, after watching those videos in which they're going on about how hard they worked, I feel as if I should be working equally as hard? I'm predicted 10A*s and 2As, but I'm worried I won't get those grades due to being too relaxed about GCSEs?! Help please? Do I need to step up my revision in these next three weeks?

Relax. Step up your revision over the next 3 weeks if you're panicking, I'd do a couple of past papers to see where you're at/reassure yourself. For english a lot of it is down to natural ability, and if you know the books well you should be fine.

You know what you need to do! I revised for 6/11 of my subjects as I knew those 6 would require a fair bit of work, the others I 'knew' that I'd be ok (which it sounds like you do!) and I got similar results to what you're aiming for.
Reply 5
Original post by MidnightDream
Some people need more revision than others but it seems to me that you'll be okay with less. So don't worry about others just focus in yourself. I think you'll do great - best of luck :smile:

Thanks :h: Yeah, I guess some people do need different amount of revision xD I have this terrible habit of constantly comparing myself to others xD

Original post by Dr. Django
Relax. Step up your revision over the next 3 weeks if you're panicking, I'd do a couple of past papers to see where you're at/reassure yourself. For english a lot of it is down to natural ability, and if you know the books well you should be fine.

You know what you need to do! I revised for 6/11 of my subjects as I knew those 6 would require a fair bit of work, the others I 'knew' that I'd be ok (which it sounds like you do!) and I got similar results to what you're aiming for.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I've got a stack of past papers at home, so I think I'll start working through them :smile:

Yeah, that's true. I do know what I need to do xD I really should stop worrying so much xD
I may be wrong but I think I remember you, OP, from a post about revision several months ago? :tongue: If so, you sound like you're doing lots of revision and need to relax a bit! You will be fine! Just carry on the way you are and if you feel like you're falling behind, slowly ramp things up a but :smile: also, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who watches GCSE results day videos! Haha I must have watched them all by now but they motivated me for some reason! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by easyaspirsquared
I may be wrong but I think I remember you, OP, from a post about revision several months ago? :tongue: If so, you sound like you're doing lots of revision and need to relax a bit! You will be fine! Just carry on the way you are and if you feel like you're falling behind, slowly ramp things up a but :smile: also, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who watches GCSE results day videos! Haha I must have watched them all by now but they motivated me for some reason! :biggrin:

I remember you :tongue: You were the super brainy one xD but yes, that was me xD I have made several threads about my GCSE worries :tongue:
Thanks for the advice :biggrin: I think I will. Because my school is so far away from my house (1.5 hours), I also spent quite a long time in the car with my mum. Do you think that, during that time, I should teach her some of my GCSE spec to further cement that knowledge? Or would that just be a waste of time?
Oh, great, I'm not the only one :biggrin: It's always been my last resort motivator- especially when I see people getting things like 11A*s xD
I remember you :tongue: You were the super brainy one xD but yes, that was me xD I have made several threads about my GCSE worries :tongue:
Thanks for the advice :biggrin: I think I will. Because my school is so far away from my house (1.5 hours), I also spent quite a long time in the car with my mum. Do you think that, during that time, I should teach her some of my GCSE spec to further cement that knowledge? Or would that just be a waste of time?
Oh, great, I'm not the only one :biggrin: It's always been my last resort motivator- especially when I see people getting things like 11A*s xD

Haha thank you but I'm not predicted grades anywhere near yours so I wouldn't say I'm the brainy one of the conversation! And yes, that sounds like a great idea! Its a good use of time and teaching is the best way to learn so sounds great :smile: I have always been motivated by that sort of thing :tongue: eg I found educating Yorkshire motivational for some reason? I just want to be one of the people who on results day has no regrets and is happily surprised by my results :biggrin:

95% of them are just bluffing, no one wants to admit that for some of the subjects they just didn't bother.

Everyone has those 1 or 2 GCSE subjects they're not going to bother with revision for. :tongue: For me I've got like 4 subjects I'm not revising for because I feel like I can get A*/A without revision I suppose.
Haha thank you but I'm not predicted grades anywhere near yours so I wouldn't say I'm the brainy one of the conversation! And yes, that sounds like a great idea! Its a good use of time and teaching is the best way to learn so sounds great :smile: I have always been motivated by that sort of thing :tongue: eg I found educating Yorkshire motivational for some reason? I just want to be one of the people who on results day has no regrets and is happily surprised by my results :biggrin:

But did you see your explanation of electrolysis? It was fantastic! :biggrin: Seriously, just wow :biggrin:
Yeah, I think I'll try it out- especially for History. Some of those topics are very memory intensive xD
Educating Yorkshire? :tongue: But yeah, same here. It'd be amazing to open up my results and see 11A*s shining on the page like a beacon. That would literally make my summer xD What are you aiming for?

Original post by yellowcopter
95% of them are just bluffing, no one wants to admit that for some of the subjects they just didn't bother.

Everyone has those 1 or 2 GCSE subjects they're not going to bother with revision for. :tongue: For me I've got like 4 subjects I'm not revising for because I feel like I can get A*/A without revision I suppose.

True :tongue: I guess on camera, you don't exactly want to be saying things like 'Oh, I didn't bother really' :tongue:

Yeah, that's true xD Out of curiosity, what are those subjects? :tongue:

Your subjects are so similar to mine! If for French and German you know the vocab well and have got decent marks on your coursework then I don't think you need to spend much more than around an hour just looking at old papers and getting vocab from them? Or if you have the little cgp vocab books they are good. I am finding that although I am good at hist and geog there is just so much to learn I'm spending the most time revising them and neglecting science, oops. If it's English lit then it's definitely worth putting in more revision and thinking of alternative interpretations for poetry and that kind of thing, but if it's English Lang then I don't know about you but my exam is after the whit so I'll be just doing practise questions and papers then and I've heard reading the broadsheet papers is good revision because that's the sort of article that comes up. Good luck! 😊
Reply 12
1. Some people exaggerate how much revision they've had to do, epsecially if they have very good results (as to not seem like a douchebag).
2. You're probably smarter than them, so need less revision anyway.
Original post by yellowcopter

I completely agree this :tongue: its so unlikely that out of 11 or so subjects you will be motivated and like them enough to do enough revision for an A*, either that or your lucky enough to be one of those people who roll out of bed and get A*s :biggrin:
Original post by kjames1000
Your subjects are so similar to mine! If for French and German you know the vocab well and have got decent marks on your coursework then I don't think you need to spend much more than around an hour just looking at old papers and getting vocab from them? Or if you have the little cgp vocab books they are good. I am finding that although I am good at hist and geog there is just so much to learn I'm spending the most time revising them and neglecting science, oops. If it's English lit then it's definitely worth putting in more revision and thinking of alternative interpretations for poetry and that kind of thing, but if it's English Lang then I don't know about you but my exam is after the whit so I'll be just doing practise questions and papers then and I've heard reading the broadsheet papers is good revision because that's the sort of article that comes up. Good luck!

Haha, it's the other way around for me :tongue: I neglected History and Geography in favour of science xD
Yeah, I guess it is worth revising English Lit. I never know how to revise it though, which is weird :tongue: My lang exam is my first one, so I should probably do some practice papers xD
But did you see your explanation of electrolysis? It was fantastic! :biggrin: Seriously, just wow :biggrin:
Yeah, I think I'll try it out- especially for History. Some of those topics are very memory intensive xD
Educating Yorkshire? :tongue: But yeah, same here. It'd be amazing to open up my results and see 11A*s shining on the page like a beacon. That would literally make my summer xD What are you aiming for?

True :tongue: I guess on camera, you don't exactly want to be saying things like 'Oh, I didn't bother really' :tongue:

Yeah, that's true xD Out of curiosity, what are those subjects? :tongue:

Haha thank you! People seem to like it which I'm ecstatic about! :biggrin: I'm aiming for 6A* 4A, but wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't get exactly that as I tend to compare myself to my friends who are like straight A* students :cool: throughout the year my target grades have risen as I've seen my friends get good grades so hopefully I'm not disappointed! I'll message you on results day and you can tell me if you get your 11A*s and I'll tell you if I get my 6 :biggrin::redface:
Original post by alow
1. Some people exaggerate how much revision they've had to do, epsecially if they have very good results (as to not seem like a douchebag).
2. You're probably smarter than them, so need less revision anyway.

True :tongue: Nobody likes the person who does no revision yet still gets remarkably good results xD
I'm not sure I'm smarter than them, but I find I don't need as much revision to do well :tongue:
Haha thank you! People seem to like it which I'm ecstatic about! :biggrin: I'm aiming for 6A* 4A, but wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't get exactly that as I tend to compare myself to my friends who are like straight A* students :cool: throughout the year my target grades have risen as I've seen my friends get good grades so hopefully I'm not disappointed! I'll message you on results day and you can tell me if you get your 11A*s and I'll tell you if I get my 6 :biggrin::redface:

You definitely deserve those grades :biggrin:
Yeah, hopefully Ill be able to reply with a 'yes' xD So good luck to us both xD

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated.":smile:
Hey suzy! I wouldn't watch any more of those if I were you since they are making you nervous. Also, people can sometimes exaggerate what they did. Also, I think you like to beat yourself up about work too much. From what you've said, you have been doing a reasonable amount of revision, the amount that my mum would like me to be doing right now! :P Different people need to different amounts of work for exams and for some they need to a moderate amount a few weeks before exams otherwise they will 'peak' early and with others they need to constant revision over a few months because that's how they retain information. I would carry on doing as you are since you're predicted 10A*s but focus on past papers for the exams that are coming up in the first week or so and then see what areas are your weakest after marking them! Good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest