The Student Room Group

Numeracy Test - A little extra practical info? THE HORROR!

Hello thar!

I'm sitting my maths on the 24th.

Can anyone who has sat the test tell me what is provided? Someone last year mentioned you get a fine marker and a plastic A4 card to write down sums. You can wipe the board clean if you make an error.

BUT, someone else this year told me they got given a fat-ass marker and some paper. The marker was too big to use, and the paper she obviously couldn't erase anything. 3 sums in and the paper was no longer usable. She didn't have time to ask for more and failed the test. Now I see this as the examination centre's error, and she should have appealed for a free resit (she never did and hasn't re-sat it yet!).

What were your experiences? What were you supplied with? Any horror stories?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LiquidCherry
Hello thar!

Can anyone who has sat the test tell me what is provided? Someone last year mentioned you get a fine marker and a plastic A4 card to write down sums. You can wipe the board clean if you make an error.

BUT, someone else this year told me they got given a fat-ass marker and some paper. The marker was too big to use, and the paper she obviously couldn't erase anything. 3 sums in and the paper was no longer usable. She didn't have time to ask for more and failed the test. Now I see this as the examination centre's error, and she should have appealed for a free resit (she never did and hasn't re-sat it yet!).

Hi!

You are supplied with a plastic white squared sheet and a fine marker. You should get 3 sheets. If you need an additional one then you raise your hand with the filled board in the air and they replace them. 3 will be plenty for the mental arithmatic providing you don't write with mega huge writing!

This was my experience last week :-)
Reply 2
I also got 3 wipe clean sheets - double sided.

If lack of paper happens to you and you think you will need more then raise your hand BEFORE you start the test and ask for more.

The man said to me if there was any problem to raise my hand.

Take your time reading the instructions, setting the volume, etc and go for it. my story was I was so nervous I was shaking and sweating and then cried when I got my bit of paper saying I'd passed because I was so relieved! not too much of a horror story but very glad I didn't have to do it again!

Good luck with your test xx
When I went for numeracy test, I didn't have any proof that I had a place on a training course with me. So they were saying I couldn't do the test lucky I was able to call course lead and get him to send me a email saying I got a place on the course and was able to show email on phone. They allowed me to sit the test which was a relief. I passed my numeracy first time and then sat my literacy two days later which I also passed I literally cried. As I gone to uni for one course but I got a chance on the course I really wanted. Too get on it I had too pass my skills test within a weeks notice. It was such a relief just to known I passed and was now on that course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hello thar!

Just wondering if you've already sat your literacy test, and if it's the numeracy that you're most worried about? I sat my literacy first, as I wasn't particularly worried about it and felt that it would give me the experience of being in those test conditions with the headset on etc. That way, I was less nervous when it came to my numeracy as I knew what to expect.

Everyone at my test centre was really lovely and encouraging. I was given three A4 laminated sheets to write on and that was more than enough. Make sure you test the pen before you start to make sure it isn't running out. But as others have said, just put your hand up if you need additional sheets/pens etc and they'll be given to you during the exam.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 5
wow - well done you -no wonder you were relieved - a weeks deadline is not good enough or fair!

For someone who came late to the whole application process its been shocking how little time there is. Ideally pass your tests before interview but if you are applying and looking into teaching requirements and process all at same time then its not always possible. When I looked to book my tests, bearing in mind i can 't take any time off work, I was really limited and had to wait about 4 weeks before there was a space. One I had passed before interview but the other was booked for after interview, if I'd failed it I'm not sure I would have had time to rebook and pass before the 4 week deadline imposed as a condition of my offer from the uni.

I was waiting for my references as I knew I had to have applied to uni to take the tests. my reference didn't come through so I cancelled one of the tests - the reference literally came through with half an hour to spare for the second test. I applied to uni, took the test next day, got offer for interview the day after for the following week - so literally 4 days to prepare for interview and apart from the sat and sun I was working every day - also I had prepared my customers that I had an appointment coming up that might be short notice so didn't feel too bad about letting them all down at such short notice.

Just shows the whole process is a demonstration of dedication and being able to be organised!

Since the offer - just more paperwork and forms!!
Reply 6
Original post by ABJ01
Hi!

You are supplied with a plastic white squared sheet and a fine marker. You should get 3 sheets. If you need an additional one then you raise your hand with the filled board in the air and they replace them. 3 will be plenty for the mental arithmatic providing you don't write with mega huge writing!

This was my experience last week :-)

3 was not enough for me. Ask for more sheets before you start. I would 6 is a nice number.
Reply 7
I sat mine this Tuesday just past (the 15th) and passed the test first time. I was provided with 3 laminated sheets to write my working out on, and a thin marker. I found 3 sheets was enough. They told me you shouldn't erase your working out as I would have to hand it in at the end of the test. No horror stories from me - the literacy and numeracy tests were both fine and the procedure at the test centre I used (in Reading) was exemplary.
Reply 8
I'd say the only horror was my own headspace going in, I was shaking and overheating and felt like I was going to vom, still passed first time (thank god) and pray I never have to do it again! Thankfully my partner did maths to a level standard and is still pretty amazing at it so he'd tutored me every night for 2 weeks leading up to the test as my maths was appalling (think counting on my fingers....) but the test centre were lovely and yeah 3 sheets of lamenated a4 and some pens and I also had the tactic of after the mental arithmetic take 2 minutes to breathe, if you need to put your hand up and get a quick drink of water to steady your nerves and then crack on, you'll find your far more focused for taking the quick rest period between the two sections.
Hi I have a couple of questions after reading this chat.

1. So you do get something to write the sums down on? I thought there wasn't anything to write down on.
2. I have my first test the day before my only interview, so I wouldn't have a place on the course prior to the test - will this cause any problems?
3. Do you bring your own calculator?
4. I've heard you can spend about 18 seconds per question if you want to finish all of them on time. Is this true? That seems really short.
Reply 10
Original post by crashpepperoni
Hi I have a couple of questions after reading this chat.

1. So you do get something to write the sums down on? I thought there wasn't anything to write down on.
2. I have my first test the day before my only interview, so I wouldn't have a place on the course prior to the test - will this cause any problems?
3. Do you bring your own calculator?
4. I've heard you can spend about 18 seconds per question if you want to finish all of them on time. Is this true? That seems really short.

Hey crash,

Best thing you can do is go on the teaching website and try a few papers as that'll give you a good idea of how the test goes but as to your questions:
1. Yes, you get some sheets of laminated paper and pens so you can do sums on them as you go.
2. I'm pretty sure all they need is the letter from Ucas saying your all registered and your applications are in.
3. No, you can use an on screen one for the second half of the test that allows it , no calculators on the mental arithmetic I'm afraid!
4. 18 seconds (give of take) for the mental arithmetic questions then as long as you like (within the time limit for the entire test) for the other questions, just be aware of your time!!
I am so confused!
Has the process changed again this year?
Are you all on about the QTS tests?

We only sat ours last year and this is what would happen:
We had to be registered on an ITT course as you need to use your TRN number to be able to get a place.
in the test itself, we would be given laminated sheets, but told that if we ran out of room we just had to ask for more (as you couldn't actually rub anything out - and the lamination was just so they could clean them and reuse them)
We weren't allowed to use our own calculators (i think it was actually non-calculator unless the specific question provided you with one)
Reply 12
Original post by elldeegee
I am so confused!

We had to be registered on an ITT course as you need to use your TRN number to be able to get a place.
in the test itself, we would be given laminated sheets, but told that if we ran out of room we just had to ask for more (as you couldn't actually rub anything out - and the lamination was just so they could clean them and reuse them)
We weren't allowed to use our own calculators (i think it was actually non-calculator unless the specific question provided you with one)

The bolded bit is true. All you need to sit the tests is evidence that you applied for a teacher training course.
Reply 13
I am so confused!

There are 2 types of skills tests but in reality and very unfairly they are all the same tests with the same criteria. EXIT tests are for students currently on an ITT course and who have to pass these tests to EXIT their course and to gain QTS. For this you need a TRN number to book the tests. There are also ENTRY tests for students applying to get a place on an ITT course. You do not need a TRN number to book these tests.
Original post by claretmad
There are 2 types of skills tests but in reality and very unfairly they are all the same tests with the same criteria. EXIT tests are for students currently on an ITT course and who have to pass these tests to EXIT their course and to gain QTS. For this you need a TRN number to book the tests. There are also ENTRY tests for students applying to get a place on an ITT course. You do not need a TRN number to book these tests.

Oh right!
IS it a new thing that all courses have you sit the entry tests or is it only certain institutions?
Reply 15
Thanks everyone for all the info. I did call my test centre and they confirmed I would get laminated sheets. I didn't think to ask how many, but if there is no upper limit, I'm going to ask for at least 4.

I have dyslexia, and I write down all numbers as I simply can NOT hold them in my head. They sort of . . . melt away if I try to do any calculation in my mind. Yet give me some paper and I can do it fine, despite it taking me longer.Sometimes I need to go around the houses to get the right answer, as I am no good at 'spotting' number relationships. I did apply for extra time, but it only amounts to something like 3 extra seconds on the mental arithmetic part.

I haven't done my literacy test yet. I am doing it a day after the maths. It's an 8AM EXAM on a SATURDAY =S I work full time, and this is the only booking that would fit in around my job. I just hope I pass it first time, otherwise I will have to pull some sickies and pass them before June. ^^'
Reply 16
Thanks everyone for all the info. I did call my test centre and they confirmed I would get laminated sheets. I didn't think to ask how many, but if there is no upper limit, I'm going to ask for at least 4.

I have dyslexia, and I write down all numbers as I simply can NOT hold them in my head. They sort of . . . melt away if I try to do any calculation in my mind. Yet give me some paper and I can do it fine, despite it taking me longer.Sometimes I need to go around the houses to get the right answer, as I am no good at 'spotting' number relationships. I did apply for extra time, but it only amounts to something like 3 extra seconds on the mental arithmetic part.

I haven't done my literacy test yet. I am doing it a day after the maths. It's an 8AM EXAM on a SATURDAY =S I work full time, and this is the only booking that would fit in around my job. I just hope I pass it first time, otherwise I will have to pull some sickies and pass them before June. ^^'

Anything help however little gets you closer to pass.
Reply 17
Original post by Juichiro
Anything help however little gets you closer to pass.

Very true. Let's hope I don't embarrass myself by failing.
Reply 18
you are not allowed to write anything before the start of the test but maybe as soon as the test begins - with the practice question - start working out some times tables in your head and writing down so you could use them if needed.
Reply 19
Oh right!
IS it a new thing that all courses have you sit the entry tests or is it only certain institutions?

Previously these skills tests were taken in the final year of your course but from September 2012 these tests were made entry tests for all ITT courses starting from September 2013. Unfortunately it's a Department for Education requirment for the award of QTS and therefore isn't down to individual training providers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending