The Student Room Group

Why do people who don't cast their ballot on election day bitch and moan?

...(about the government)

It's pretty straightforward really. If you really hate every option available to you, you could at least go in on election day and spoil your vote, making your discontent clear. Instead, plenty of lazy ****s don't bother, sending out a message of apathy... before these same people bitch and moan about what the government is doing later on.
Reply 1
dunno
It's called the sheep syndrome.
Basically, people who normally don't give two ****s about the government (hence the not voting) decide that they have a strong opinion on the government after seeing people around them complaining about the government.
This is why you see so many people who clearly don't know a thing about politics ranting about the government.
As an example, the other day, I heard a girl going 'Oh, I hate the Tories! I'm definitely not voting for them!'. When I asked why, she had no clear reasons.
The sheep syndrome explains everything.
(edited 10 years ago)
If they don't feel any of the parties represent their views then why should they vote

In fact the LibDems for example did not even fulfill certain promises, so there is also an issue of trust here
Reply 4
Original post by yo radical one
If they don't feel any of the parties represent their views then why should they vote

In fact the LibDems for example did not even fulfill certain promises, so there is also an issue of trust here

Erm, did you even read my post? :s-smilie:

But then what right do they have to complain about it if they haven't used their vote to make a difference?
Original post by TheGuy117

Erm, did you even read my post? :s-smilie:

How on Earth is ruining your ballot paper any better than not voting? :confused:

the only time I would promote that, is if you are young and want the government to stop pandering to old people (who do vote in high numbers) so much
Original post by suzylemonade
But then what right do they have to complain about it if they haven't used their vote to make a difference?

Precisely because their vote would never have made a difference in the way they wanted it to...

It's like saying to a vegetarian "you had the option to eat pork tonight or you could have eaten beef, so stop complaining you are hungry."
Reply 8
How on Earth is ruining your ballot paper any better than not voting? :confused:

the only time I would promote that, is if you are young and want the government to stop pandering to old people (who do vote in high numbers) so much

It actively shows you don't like any of the voting options available to you. Spoiled votes are counted when measuring turnout, so the difference between turnout and total votes would be noted...and if high enough, show the government that people are angry. Whereas not showing up just gives the impression that you are apathetic and don't give a ****.
Original post by TheGuy117
It actively shows you don't like any of the voting options available to you. Spoiled votes are counted when measuring turnout, so the difference between turnout and total votes would be noted...and if high enough, show the government that people are angry. Whereas not showing up just gives the impression that you are apathetic and don't give a ****.

Personally I've always assumed people who ruin the ballot paper are immature *****, kinda like the kid who draws a picture of a penis on his homework, because he has no idea what to do
Precisely because their vote would never have made a difference in the way they wanted it to...

It's like saying to a vegetarian "you had the option to eat pork tonight or you could have eaten beef, so stop complaining you are hungry."

Sorry? How would they know that exactly?

And that is a horrifically bad analogy.
It's more like giving a vegetarian a table full of dishes from which they can pick one, but the vegetarian chooses none of them. What right do they have to complain about being hungry if they didn't even pick a meal?

It's more like giving a vegetarian a table full of dishes from which they can pick one, but the vegetarian chooses none of them. What right do they have to complain about being hungry if they didn't even pick a meal?

Because if none of the parties appeal to them, then who are they supposed to vote for, in the same way a vegetarian won't want to eat any meet

For the record, I did vote last election (for the Green party in fact :colondollar:) but I am not a smug git who thinks he is superior to typical non-voters who are people too
Because if none of the parties appeal to them, then who are they supposed to vote for, in the same way a vegetarian won't want to eat any meet

For the record, I did vote last election (for the Green party in fact :colondollar:) but I am not a smug git who thinks he is superior to typical non-voters who are people too

Fair enough. But my problem is with people who don't even bother to look at any of the parties and yet still moan about how awful the government is.

Good, okay :tongue:
It's called the sheep syndrome.
Basically, people who normally don't give two ****s about the government (hence the not voting) decide that they have a strong opinion on the government after seeing people around them complaining about the government.
This is why you see so many people who clearly don't know a thing about politics ranting about the government.
As an example, the other day, I heard a girl going 'Oh, I hate the Tories! I'm definitely not voting for them!'. When I asked why, she had no clear reasons.
The sheep syndrome explains everything.

That equally applies to a lot of voters to. Not voting does not mean you are by default politically ignorant or apathetic.
I don't see any logic in not voting except for apathy or ignorance. I live in one of the safest seats in the country but I'm genuinely excited about voting. If you have a problem with the system, spoil your ballot or vote for a protest party/independent.
Reply 15
Because their individual vote means jack****. People who do vote as opposed to those who don't arent superior. Non voters can still complain about the political system and may see none of the parties reflect their views of interests.
Reply 16

Because their diet doesn't consist of eating meat?
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Because their diet doesn't consist of eating meat?

Yes, but they have a different variety of foods in front of them. Not all contain meat.
I don't get the whole idea of spoiling your ballot to make a point, does anyone really care about the number of spoiled ballots?

The solution is for apathetic voters to raise £500 quid between themselves, and have 1 of them stand for election, so they actually have someone to vote for.

Quick Reply

Latest