The Student Room Group

I think I was chatted up today - and it creeps me out!

At work today, a girl who is my age (mature student) randomly started talking to me about how she has broken up with her boyfriend of 8 years, and now she is a single girl again, and is now looking for another man.

:eek:

Why would she make conversation like that to me? Do you think she is trying to let me know that I have a chance? :s-smilie:

I am not interested in her in the slightest, I am gay anyway, albeit she doesn't know that, nor will ever know that.

I was going to tell her that whilst I sympathise with her I must dash as I am about to buy my GIRLFRIEND an easter egg or something like that, to immediately let her know that she's wasting her time, but I figured that would be cruel.

:rolleyes:

What kind of girl/woman randomly without prompting walks up to you and lets you know that they have been dumped (she emphasised that it was HIS decision) and that now they are single? Surely any sane girl would realise that this is creepy and desperate?

Maybe she's autistic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Looking for someone as a bounce back IMO.
Erm, perhaps just making conversation/wanted someone to talk to. Does seem like a bit of an over share but nothing to get arsey about.
Reply 4
Normally I would narrate a massive tale about a poor woman's reliance on an unreachable hero, a forbidden Romeo, an un-reach-a-ble..... STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR.

But you put THIS...
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Maybe she's autistic?

Which saves a lot of time for me writing out the orchestra's scores.
Original post by Throwaway221
Erm, perhaps just making conversation/wanted someone to talk to. Does seem like a bit of an over share but nothing to get arsey about.

YES, I can also think it was this, but she should still be able to realise that it put me in a uncomfortable position, and quite frankly I am angry about this. I will need to avoid her when I see her at work next week, because now I am worried that any slight sign of affection towards her (i.e. smiling and saying hello) she might get the wrong idea about it.
Major overreaction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by Staceyc1990
Major overreaction

Really? But in my workplace there is a gossip culture where people will pretend that you are single to get a few laughs out of other people, (i.e. me). I can imagine she revealed she had broken up with her boyfriend, and then they told her that I was single... :rolleyes:

However she must be around 30, if she falls for that kind of gossip then she must be autistic..
Will you ever see this girl again? If you won't then it's nothing to get too stressed about, and don't lie you were secretly flattered weren't you :tongue:
Reply 9
YES, I can also think it was this, but she should still be able to realise that it put me in a uncomfortable position, and quite frankly I am angry about this. I will need to avoid her when I see her at work next week, because now I am worried that any slight sign of affection towards her (i.e. smiling and saying hello) she might get the wrong idea about it.

Are you sure you aren't autistic?
Original post by tammie123
Will you ever see this girl again? If you won't then it's nothing to get too stressed about, and don't lie you were secretly flattered weren't you :tongue:

It's one of my work colleagues, I see her usually on Saturdays, albeit thankfully only in passing. I will just have to avoid her now, and not make small talk. She has embarrassed me.
Original post by Profesh
Are you sure you aren't autistic?

I am autistic, but that has nothing to do with it. I don't walk up to strangers and tell them I have been dumped, and now I am single hint hint hint....:rolleyes:

CREEPY
I am autistic, but that has nothing to do with it. I don't walk up to strangers and tell them I have been dumped, and now I am single hint hint hint....:rolleyes:

CREEPY

From what you described, there was no "hint hint hint". Some people are willing to tell others their life story even if they don't know them that well. It's not creepy, it's just the way some people are, even if you find it a bit much.
Also a few things from your original post
- if you're gay, what does it matter? if she's into you, just say no, I'm gay, sorry and then move on in life
- if you're gay and you tell her you're about to get your GIRLFRIEND something, at some point in the future you'll slip up and say you don't have a girlfriend or that you're gay, and she will then say "but I thought you had a girlfriend?" lies will be made worse by the gossip culture at work
- if someone complains about splitting up with their partner, it's probably not a good idea to make a point of being affectionate about your (non-existant) partner. "sorry to hear about your heartbreak but I love my partner and I am about to buy them something nice" isn't great to hear
Original post by sliceofcake
From what you described, there was no "hint hint hint". Some people are willing to tell others their life story even if they don't know them that well. It's not creepy, it's just the way some people are, even if you find it a bit much.
Also a few things from your original post
- if you're gay, what does it matter? if she's into you, just say no, I'm gay, sorry and then move on in life

yeah ok, but I don't know what her intentions were. I have not come across people like that in my life, basically saying she's single again now...long pause...and then she's looking for another man...long pause..

Was she expecting me to jump in and buy her a drink FFS? That is not the way people 'pull each other' anyway. You don't just walk up to a man who you presume is single and then start mentioning you are single.

IT IS CREEPY.
yeah ok, but I don't know what her intentions were. I have not come across people like that in my life, basically saying she's single again now...long pause...and then she's looking for another man...long pause..

Was she expecting me to jump in and buy her a drink FFS? That is not the way people 'pull each other' anyway. You don't just walk up to a man who you presume is single and then start mentioning you are single.

IT IS CREEPY.

Just because you haven't come across them before it doesn't mean they don't exist, or that you won't come across them. When I worked in retail I couldn't believe half of the stuff some of my customers told me.

Maybe she IS interested in you and was just letting you know so you would feel free to make a move. Maybe she wanted you to suggest someone to her. Maybe she felt like complaining to and you were there. You won't know her intentions unless you ask her, but don't ask her because THAT would be creepy, especially if she was just making conversation. Just forget about it. And try your best not to keep it in mind whenever she talks to you again because you might end up reading way too much into nothing. But if she's actually interested in you then it'll eventually become quite obvious, not nearly as suggested as you've perceived this to be. And if she is just tell her you're gay, it's no big deal.
I think your maybe seeing something that isn't actually there. Fivers bet she was just making conversation

I think she wanted the Donald Duck, the spunk viper, the schlong, the bacon torpedo, the custard chucker, the one-eyed trouser-snake, the little gentleman in the purple pullover, the disco stick, the heat-seeking love-missile, the naked mole-rat, the love sausage, the paste pump, the anal spear, the action Arnold, the albino cave dweller, the beanpole, the luscious lollipop, the bearded burglar, the fairy cave invader, the candy cane, the spear wielding horse rider, the caped crusader, the diving rod, the executive staff member, the fallopian fiddler, the Girthy Mcgirth, the glue-stick, the hairy snake, the Jimmy Hang-Lo, the hooded warrior, the impregnator, the incredible bulk, the hymen hammer, the Johnny come-early, the jizz wiz, the little admiral, the Alabama blacksnake, the Bavarian beefstick, the upright citizen, the Richard Nixon, the zipper-ripper, the yoghurt hurler, Winky the milk spitting tunnel ferret, the blue-veined jackhammer, the free willy, the Homo Erectus, the jiggling bone, Big Jim and The Twins, the clit tickler, the gentleman's pistol, the gag mallet, the zipper wookie, the wife's best friend, the vaginal depth detector, the twizzler of love, the red rocket, the red helmeted love warrior, the protein torpedo, Lord Biggus Dickus, the crotch cannon, Dora the anal explorer, the giant-sized man-thing, the heat seeking moisture-missile, the ambassador, He-Ham, Henry the Dog, King Dingaling, the ol' man milk dispenser, the mighty Joe Young, the one-eyed milkman, the.......you get the point.
This thread is so bad I just want to cry.
Seems like classic over share to me...

I once bumped in to someone from my school in the street (some eight years after school had ended) who told me she had been abused as a child by her dad and her cousin and no-one believed her.

It can seem strange when people overshare, but life is strange.
Maybe she's autistic?

Really?! :curious: That seems like quite a conclusion to jump to...

Quick Reply

Latest