The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Need advice on choosing a uni. Did not attend any open days.

I have received 4 offers. I stupidly did not attend an open day and now there are no more opportunities before I have to make a decision. I am desperate for advice on how to decide my firm and insurance choices from anyone currently at uni or who has graduated from uni. My subject is Genetics, I live in Newcastle and my offers are from Newcastle, Aberystwyth, Aberdeen and Huddersfield.
Reply 1
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I have received 4 offers. I stupidly did not attend an open day and now there are no more opportunities before I have to make a decision. I am desperate for advice on how to decide my firm and insurance choices from anyone currently at uni or who has graduated from uni. My subject is Genetics, I live in Newcastle and my offers are from Newcastle32, Aberystwyth-60, Aberdeen 19 and Huddersfield 63.

Heya, well I looked on the guardian - university league tables for biosciences (which includes genetics) the link's here and found your uni's are ranked:

Aberdeen - 19
Newcastle - 32
Aberyswwyth - 60
Huddersfield - 63

In this scenario, I guess your best bet would be Aberdeen? if that seems okay to you, then you could start searching on TSR looking at peoples experiences of open days at Aberdeen and their opinions on the Uni.. you may even find a ask a current student thread!

I know league tables aren't everything, but there seems to be a clear difference between Aberdeen and the rest? so that's my advice..

Good luck in whatever you do though :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Thank you I did not imagine getting a reply so soon. Maybe not tonight (why are we even awake now?) but at some point I will definitely have to research people's experiences of the open days. I'm not sure how much weight to give to those numbers, interesting though they are. I think it's best I don't envision each university as a number on a scale.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Thank you I did not imagine getting a reply so soon. Maybe not tonight (why are we even awake now?) but at some point I will definitely have to research people's experiences of the open days. I'm not sure how much weight to give to those numbers, interesting though they are. I think it's best I don't envision each university as a number on a scale.

Hi AwkwardShortGuy,

Making a uni decision is super tricky and it's important that you get it right since you'll be there for at least 3 years of your life. I would say it comes down to way more than just a league table number. At the end of the day you need to find the right balance of academic excellence and a student life, which you will enjoy and thrive in.

You may have missed our recent Open Day back on the 5th April, however we do have a Virtual Open Day taking place next Wednesday the 30th April. I would suggest you register here: http://bitly.com/1i26hB9 and join a few hundred other potential students on this big live event...

It'll be a great way for you to:
Listen to key talks
Ask live questions to members of staff and the speakers
Watch a campus tour
Speak about all things Aberystwyth via a live chat

I hope that helps you :smile:

Cheers,
James :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest