The Student Room Group

Dropping out to apply for Nursing?

Hey guys - so I'm at the end of my first year at uni (studying Physiology) and I've decided it's not for me and I'd much prefer something more people-oriented and practical. I'd like to study Adult Nursing, and am kicking myself for not going for it in the first place!

I have the required A levels/grades and even some relevant experience - I did two weeks work experience in a dementia care unit and have worked as a tour guide speaking to large groups of people for almost a year now whilst at uni, so I'm used to situations where I need to interact with new people regularly/am under pressure.

My question is this - could I apply with this much experience, or would I need more? Also, is it worth applying late/seeing if I can switch over within my current university, or should I drop out from my current course now and apply for 2015 this autumn? The main issue is that I already have a house sorted for next year with friends (I didn't know I'd want to switch degrees when I signed the tenancy a couple months ago) so I'd ideally want to stay within Liverpool.

If I dropped out now and reapplied (for 2015 entry) I would get a job as a healthcare assistant and gain more experience/save money for restarting uni - therefore the time wouldn't be wasted.. I just don't want to have to wait so long to start a new degree. :frown:

Reply 1
Hi, experience wise, it depends on the uni. Im a mature candiate with no care experience but I've had an offer from Bangor and an upcoming interview for Chester (Mental health). LJM specify that you must have care experience so I was rejected by them (I just chanced it..!). I'm not sure about The University of Liverpool.

If you want to stay at your uni, just ask them about the possibilty of moving courses. I'm not sure if you would need to reapply through UCAS or not though....

Does your uni have a March intake? I know both Bangor and Chester still had places for adult nursing March 14 until just a couple of weeks ago. If you need to, you could apply for March 15 rather than Sept 15. I know it still seems like ages but I'm sure it will fly by and, as you say, it will give you a chance to gain experience. If Chester offer me a place I'll be taking March 15 and rejecting my Bangor Sept 14. I really don't want to wait that long tbh, Im 32, hate my job and I'm keen to get going but its worth it for the right course.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi, I agree with emma81x. As for experience, it depends on where you apply. I'm not sure which uni you're currently studying at and which nursing degree you're considering but as you said 'within Liverpool', I assume a nursing programme in either LJMU or University of Liverpool is one of your opptions.
Don't bother applying LJMU without relevant caring experience. They will NOT accept applicants without experience. They clearly state this on their entry requirements. My college (I'm currently studying an access to nursing course) also collect data from their students applying to uni and their outcome every year, and LJMU always rejects applicants without enough experience straight away. There're a few girls on my course got rejections because they had no experience at all and a girl with 2 or 3 weeks of working experience has been rejected as well. But I know for sure they're not asking like 10 years of extensive caring experience. I only had a month of paid job as a suppor worker when I sent out my application last January and 3 months at the time of the interview at LJMU but got an offer from them.
On the other hand, there were many people without caring experience when I went to an interview for Chester.

I've heard that it is very unlikely that you can switch over to do a nursing degree from other degree. You must undertake 4,600 hours of 50% theory and 50% clinical practice over 3 years. There're periodic criteria clearly set out by NMC and if your don't complete the criteria for the first year then you simply cannot progress to the second year. Again, this is strictly set out by NMC and not something uni can change. Simply phone the uni you want to do nursing and ask them if that's possible.

I think it's also useful to remember that nursing programme is a NHS funded degree so it's a big loss for uni and the Goverment if a nursing student drops out from the programme. It may sound harsh but because once you quit a degree (if you do reapply to do nursing), they're more likely to point this out and see if you could 'change your mind' again and not completing a nursing degree.

I understand you feel it's too long to wait for 2015 entry but I do believe getting a job as a healthcare assistant will help not just for uni applications but for undertaking a nursing degree or even for your future career in this field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending