The Student Room Group

what do teachers move onto when they leave?

I am really excited about my future but I am having some panic about what I am giving up, my income, my business and being there for my children. what if I don't get a job as a teacher, what if I can't earn money for my children, etc etc?

I guess my doubts are I know I want to move away from what I am doing now but wonder if I have made the right choice to be in poverty for a year and ultimately not have made the right choice?

I do not want to stay doing what I am doing so I know I need to move forward but it is such a scary prospect at the same time. I want to tell myself that even if I don't make it as a teacher a PGCE and QTS could lead me on to a career in.....

I am thinking I could go on and do MA (but what then?) or even lecturing.
What about private tutoring? are there are any obvious career choices for secondary teachers - or RE teachers?
Retirement, tutoring, government, examination authority, textbook writer, travel through time and space, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by clh_hilary
Retirement, tutoring, government, examination authority, textbook writer, travel through time and space, etc.

lol :rolleyes:
Original post by Juichiro
lol :rolleyes:

Clara does that with The Doctor.
Reply 4
Original post by clh_hilary
Clara does that with The Doctor.

With the First Doctor, two out of three of his companions were teachers at the same school at which Clara is seen teaching in the most recent series. There's something about East London comprehensives that makes you want to run as far as Gallifrey. :wink:
Original post by varcolac
With the First Doctor, two out of three of his companions were teachers at the same school at which Clara is seen teaching in the most recent series. There's something about East London comprehensives that makes you want to run as far as Gallifrey. :wink:

Well I've never been to that side of London so cannot comment.
Reply 6
so definitely worth going through with the teacher training even if I don't end up being a teacher for ever! :wink:
Reply 7
Examining, private tutoring, working for an education publisher possibly...
Reply 8
This is a funny thread to see after a conversation with my landlord today. I'm starting my PGCE in September, and he was telling me he's a school governor as well as being involved in the committee of the British Hang/Paragliding Association - apparently they try to recruit people with QTS and teaching experience as their instructors, at around the salary of a Head of Department!

Now I'm not saying you're an expert hang glider (though I may be wrong! :biggrin: ) but he was pointing out to me that a teaching qualification can lead to quite unexpected career options in the future :smile:
University lecturers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by SirDS
This is a funny thread to see after a conversation with my landlord today. I'm starting my PGCE in September, and he was telling me he's a school governor as well as being involved in the committee of the British Hang/Paragliding Association - apparently they try to recruit people with QTS and teaching experience as their instructors, at around the salary of a Head of Department!

Now I'm not saying you're an expert hang glider (though I may be wrong! :biggrin: ) but he was pointing out to me that a teaching qualification can lead to quite unexpected career options in the future :smile:

ha ha - love this but although the hang-gliding sounds tempting I think being Clara sounds much more exciting and I'm definitely going for Dr's assistant as my back-up plan!
Reply 11
Original post by freida20
I am really excited about my future but I am having some panic about what I am giving up, my income, my business and being there for my children. what if I don't get a job as a teacher, what if I can't earn money for my children, etc etc?

I guess my doubts are I know I want to move away from what I am doing now but wonder if I have made the right choice to be in poverty for a year and ultimately not have made the right choice?

I do not want to stay doing what I am doing so I know I need to move forward but it is such a scary prospect at the same time. I want to tell myself that even if I don't make it as a teacher a PGCE and QTS could lead me on to a career in.....

I am thinking I could go on and do MA (but what then?) or even lecturing.
What about private tutoring? are there are any obvious career choices for secondary teachers - or RE teachers?

I'm leaving teaching after 14 years to do an MA (for pleasure, not education related) and then who knows?

I certainly don't think I'm limited to educational fields as there are so many transferable skills....organisational skills, public speaking, caring...

After you've been in teaching for a while you'll have management experience too. All can be tailored to fit lots of jobs. And you'll also be able to teach/tutor/supply as a backup. :smile:
I don't have a lot of experience, but can share one anecdote:

One of my tutors at uni used to be a teacher. He studied law and switched career in his late 30s. He's now a partner at a law firm. I suppose the message is what others have been saying above: you learn a lot of transferable skills teaching that would probably serve you well in other jobs. Come to think of it, that's more or less the idea behind Teach for America and Teach First.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending