The Student Room Group

Moving to France. Can't speak French. Advice?

Hey guys,

So I've just been offered a year's internship in Montpellier, Southern France and I'm due to move there in just a month! The job's in English so I won't need French for it but I'm worried about life outside work! Has anyone had experience with something similar to this? I have so much to sort out in a short space of time! Finding accommodation with fellow students is my main concern.

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
Learn French to some extent, if you bother to try, it'll be good for you :smile:
Reply 2
Learn some basics as they'll come in handy :smile: Although with a lot of French people, they will just answer in English even if you make the effort to speak French. But yeah, some basics are always useful :smile: My dad lives in France and his French is abysmal but he gets by so you should be okay, especially somewhere like Montpellier :smile:
Reply 3
Advice: learn French.
You might start pick bit up as u spend more time there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rose828
Hey guys,

So I've just been offered a year's internship in Montpellier, Southern France and I'm due to move there in just a month! The job's in English so I won't need French for it but I'm worried about life outside work! Has anyone had experience with something similar to this? I have so much to sort out in a short space of time! Finding accommodation with fellow students is my main concern.

Definitely learn the basics (ex. Where is the bathroom?, etc.) and try to converse with locals (it will boost your confidence and show that you are trying to speaking their language). It will become useful to you as time goes on.
I don't speak a lick of French (you'd think speaking 4 languages would be enough, but noooo).
Went to Paris, where I found one restaurant where I could order in English (I had to point at a thing in the menu in others, I felt so stupid haha), but most people were rude and mean when I tried to communicate with them in English.
Then I went to Toulouse, which is in Catalonia and the second official language, Catalan, is kinda like Spanish. I tried speaking Spanish in restaurants and shops, but they didn't understand at all. But once I switched to English, they automatically stopped even trying to listen to me.

My overall experience is - you have to say at least something in French, as the French people seem allergic to English and do not like using it.
Reply 7
Original post by czechmishaout
I don't speak a lick of French (you'd think speaking 4 languages would be enough, but noooo).
Went to Paris, where I found one restaurant where I could order in English (I had to point at a thing in the menu in others, I felt so stupid haha), but most people were rude and mean when I tried to communicate with them in English.
Then I went to Toulouse, which is in Catalonia and the second official language, Catalan, is kinda like Spanish. I tried speaking Spanish in restaurants and shops, but they didn't understand at all. But once I switched to English, they automatically stopped even trying to listen to me.

My overall experience is - you have to say at least something in French, as the French people seem allergic to English and do not like using it.

Toulouse is not in Catalonia. This explains that. :biggrin:
The French education system is a disaster and it's impossible to learn foreign languages there. Consequently, we stand proudly as the worst English speakers in Europe.
:france:
Original post by Josb
Toulouse is not in Catalonia. This explains that. :biggrin:
The French education system is a disaster and it's impossible to learn foreign languages there. Consequently, we stand proudly as the worst English speakers in Europe.
:france:

It's not? Wait, so why do they have a Catalan translation under every public sign (aka the street names etc)? :confused:
Reply 9
It's not? Wait, so why do they have a Catalan translation under every public sign (aka the street names etc)? :confused:

It's Occitan, the old dialect spoken in Southern France, which is indeed close to Catalan, but few people can speak it nowadays.
Original post by Josb
It's Occitan, the old dialect spoken in Southern France, which is indeed close to Catalan, but few people can speak it nowadays.

Oooooh I remember now! Ah, awkward :colondollar: (I knew it didn't sound quite right :biggrin: )

Apply this to people coming to the UK and trying to speak in something other than English. You'd get the same response!
Download memrise app. Use it to learn a few basics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rose828
Hey guys,

This should serve you very well:
www.duolingo.com
You'd better start learning pretty quick then...

Learn as much as you can. At least get the basics down. You'll probably learn the rest while you're over there. Immersing yourself in the country will help you quickly develop your skills in the language.
Just sign up to DuoLingo, it's very good! :smile:
OP. I'd recommend some duolingo if it's a month. So it's just basics :smile: I'd say once you're there make the most of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
I speak French! Trust me, you live there for a year and you'll be completely fluent without even reaslising
Reply 18
French .; easy :smile: ..., first learn basic words like "Bon jour , bon soir , Salut .; ect ect " .. an then .. you will find your way (y) :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest