The Student Room Group

Vector motion

Hey there,

there is this vector motion question that I am having difficulty answering.
6edcf9af29142441024dde01148d1bdc.png

This is what it says in the marking scheme.
cbadc6da9514d0783061c43cb386aac0.png

Could someone help me why this is the case with the vector drawing?

Thanks in advance,

A.T.
Original post by Atham

V(wind) = V(cyclist) +V(wind relative to cyclist)

= V(wind relative to cyclist) + V(wind)

Starting from the top right of the diagram, they've drawn in V(wind relative to cyclist) then added V(cyclist). Thus the longer side of the triangle is V(wind)
Reply 2
If I imagine myself on the bike, and the wind would be blowing as described, I would expect this wind to be helping increase my velocity south, i.e. I would be pedalling, and then the wind would be helping me go even faster.

And it seems that the Velocity of the cyclist seems to be contributing to the final wind velocity.
Original post by Atham
If I imagine myself on the bike, and the wind would be blowing as described, I would expect this wind to be helping increase my velocity south, i.e. I would be pedalling, and then the wind would be helping me go even faster.

At the given speeds, yes, if you were on the bike, the wind is coming from behind you, and to the side, and would be assisting you.

And it seems that the Velocity of the cyclist seems to be contributing to the final wind velocity.

The velocity of the cyclist effect the apparant (relative) velocity of the wind, but not the velocity of the wind itself.
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
At the given speeds, yes, if you were on the bike, the wind is coming from behind you, and to the side, and would be assisting you.

But then why is the velocity of the cyclist smaller than the velocity of the wind?
Original post by Atham
But then why is the velocity of the cyclist smaller than the velocity of the wind?

The velocity of the cyclist depends on how fast they're pedalling. The wind only has a relatively small effect on the cyclist - unless it's a hurricane.

Quick Reply

Latest