The Student Room Group

How to concentrate in an exam?

I have trouble concentrating when doing 'real' exams.

Not so much when I am revising, I kind of just get on with it and do the work.

I get distracted in particular with other kids' coughing and the procter's walking around.

Does anyone have any advice in how to combat this and to remain completely focused in exams.

Appreciate any advice.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone help out a brother.
Reply 2
I don't think that a definite solution can be given because no matter how you try, these actions will always distract you unless you can stare at the exam paper and ignore anything else which sounds easy on paper (screen?) but hard in reality,

All I can say is just try and increase your 'recovery time' or something, try not to dwell on this things and just focus on the paper. When you start getting distracted, pinch yourself and focus on the paper. Always focus on the paper and maybe the clock but mostly on the paper.

This is just my opinion.
Join the club, I have terrible concentration :frown:
I hate it when people cough it's so freaking loud :unimpressed: but I grit my teeth and bare it and try to focus on my paper and not look around :smile:
I just drink water, panic for like 10 seconds then skip to shorter/easier questions
Reply 6
You gotta get in the zone & focus - really look at your exam paper and really think about what answers you're writing. You end up in a little bubble where the surrounding noise doesn't bug you at all and you just get on with it. I find Ill finish the paper and not even notice the hour/s that have flown by!
Trouble concentrating in an exam?? Never heard of that one before. When I'm in an exam I literally blank out everything that's going on around me. Seriously there could be a fire and I wouldn't notice.
This is what I do. Try to blank out everything around me. Try not to look up or gaze around otherwise I get distracted. Try to concentrate on the exam paper and focus on the questions I'm writing. It sounds wierd but sometimes the sound of the pen on the page helps to block out any distractions, keeps me focused and in a rhythm. Try to focus on a position image in my brain, or think back to past papers I've done and try to imagine the marks scheme! Try not to look at the clock as it makes me panic. If I start to panic I stop, take deep breaths and have a drink, while re reading the question + what I've written so far . :smile:
Original post by Firenze26
I don't think that a definite solution can be given because no matter how you try, these actions will always distract you unless you can stare at the exam paper and ignore anything else which sounds easy on paper (screen?) but hard in reality,

All I can say is just try and increase your 'recovery time' or something, try not to dwell on this things and just focus on the paper. When you start getting distracted, pinch yourself and focus on the paper. Always focus on the paper and maybe the clock but mostly on the paper.

This is just my opinion.

I will try and do this. Thanks for the advice :smile: what do you mean by recovery time though?
Original post by SloaneRanger
Join the club, I have terrible concentration :frown:

Its a pain in the ass isn't it :/
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
I will try and do this. Thanks for the advice :smile: what do you mean by recovery time though?

Its a pain in the ass isn't it :/

Im dying atm trying to get pass the first few pages of a book, without being distracted!
Original post by MidnightDream
I hate it when people cough it's so freaking loud :unimpressed: but I grit my teeth and bare it and try to focus on my paper and not look around :smile:

Ikr. I guess thats all you can do, in these situations though :smile:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I just drink water, panic for like 10 seconds then skip to shorter/easier questions

See i try and drink water too, but then it makes me need to urinate, which in a way is worse. Thanks for the advice though :smile:
Original post by acciolucy
You gotta get in the zone & focus - really look at your exam paper and really think about what answers you're writing. You end up in a little bubble where the surrounding noise doesn't bug you at all and you just get on with it. I find Ill finish the paper and not even notice the hour/s that have flown by!

That's a good ethic and I am sure that works well for you :smile: I just find it hard to get it that zone, but I will heed your advice the next time I do them :smile:

Original post by purple_panther
Trouble concentrating in an exam?? Never heard of that one before. When I'm in an exam I literally blank out everything that's going on around me. Seriously there could be a fire and I wouldn't notice.
Haha, that's what I try and do but I still end up getting distracted, but thanks though :smile:

Original post by VioletPhillippo
This is what I do. Try to blank out everything around me. Try not to look up or gaze around otherwise I get distracted. Try to concentrate on the exam paper and focus on the questions I'm writing. It sounds wierd but sometimes the sound of the pen on the page helps to block out any distractions, keeps me focused and in a rhythm. Try to focus on a position image in my brain, or think back to past papers I've done and try to imagine the marks scheme! Try not to look at the clock as it makes me panic. If I start to panic I stop, take deep breaths and have a drink, while re reading the question + what I've written so far . :smile:

I never thought of it like that - this is a good idea - I will definetly try this out. Thank you :smile:

Original post by SloaneRanger
Im dying atm trying to get pass the first few pages of a book, without being distracted!

Oh right lol. I guess for that I could advise you that just crasting now will make it worse in the long - term. The work never goes away so just do as much now to ease the workload later on in the line. :smile:
Sorry for the late reply, the recovery time was a kind of reference to gaming.

Anyway, y'know when you get distracted? It can take some time to get your focus back on the task at hand, that amount of time is the recovery time. If you could reduce the amount that you need to focus back on the work, your 'recovery time' decreases. This will be better since you'll be able to reduce the amount of time you're losing due to these distractions.

Sorry, by the way, it was suppose to be decrease not increase.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firenze26
Sorry for the late reply, the recovery time was a kind of reference to gaming.

Anyway, y'know when you get distracted? It can take some time to get your focus back on the task at hand, that amount of time is the recovery time. If you could reduce the amount that you need to focus back on the work, your 'recovery time' decreases. This will be better since you'll be able to reduce the amount of time you're losing due to these distractions.

Sorry, by the way, it was suppose to be decrease not increase.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, thanks I will go look at how to go about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the complete opposite. I cannot concentrate whatsoever while revising then in the exam I'm in the zone. I have never met anyone that is like you.
When I go to the examination hall....I am the terminator nothing and nothing else matters I will exterminate that paper!!!.... That is what happens whenever I have a exam...nothing else matters. :angry: They can strip and dance and I would not even flinch these eyes are on that bloody paper :banghead:
I guess that if the OP is at a posh school with "procters" he can probably look after himself.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
I have trouble concentrating when doing 'real' exams.

Not so much when I am revising, I kind of just get on with it and do the work.

I get distracted in particular with other kids' coughing and the procter's walking around.

Does anyone have any advice in how to combat this and to remain completely focused in exams.

Appreciate any advice.

Earplugs 😏
Original post by StrangestThings
I'm the complete opposite. I cannot concentrate whatsoever while revising then in the exam I'm in the zone. I have never met anyone that is like you.

Hmmn it is frusturating.

Original post by humbledono
When I go to the examination hall....I am the terminator nothing and nothing else matters I will exterminate that paper!!!.... That is what happens whenever I have a exam...nothing else matters. :angry: They can strip and dance and I would not even flinch these eyes are on that bloody paper :banghead:

That's a good outlook. Thanks I will have a go at that.

Original post by Old_Simon
I guess that if the OP is at a posh school with "procters" he can probably look after himself.

lol what? Has the terminology been changed?
Original post by PhoeboBradshaw
Earplugs

Are you allowed them, I thought it was prohibited since it could be mistaken for a wire etc.

Quick Reply

Latest