The Student Room Group

Do nukes mean we can't attack North Korea?

Well, I am not too concerned about their nuclear ambitions because I dont think that they would use them given that they will get wiped off the planet.
I am concerned about the humanitarian issue- executions starvation and fear.
DPRK society is more radical than Nazi Germany and here's why:
- We have more men in military uniform compared to Nazi Germany(per capita)
- Nazi Germany had a relatively high standard of living compared to DPRK's starvation and EXTREME poverty
- There wasn't much limit on mens grooming compared to DPRK you didnt have to have the same hairstyle as the supreme leader (correct me if I am wrong)
-Hitler didnt claim to have won 100% of the votes
And the Gulags, I invite you to watch this report by Amnesty International :http://www.amnesty.org.uk/north-korea-life-camps
Is there anything we can do? Why can't we attack North Korea and free the people or intensify diplomatic pressure which I seriously doubt to have any effect. The sanctions crippled the economy and caused mass hunger but we have a totalitarian state that doesn't even care. I fear the day that they'll all die of hunger or regime aggression. I assume another way would be to spread anti-regime propaganda amongst the people. But DPRK is the most secretive and protected country in the world.
Do you feel sorry for them?
How can we help them?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We don't attack North Korea because we gain nothing. We have never been to war for humanitarian reasons.
Reply 2
North Korea could be wiped out in seconds if the world decided it had had enough.

There are many reasons why we don't attack North Korea:

1) China will not accept Western troops on its border, which is why they protect them.
2) We have nothing to gain from attacking North Korea politically or economically.
3) It would cost an enormous amount to start a war and maintain a presence in the country.
4) There's no will from the general public for such a thing.
5) Many politicians expect the regime to crumble by itself sooner or later.
Original post by crayz
We don't attack North Korea because we gain nothing. We have never been to war for humanitarian reasons.

Sierra Leone and Bosnia.
Reply 4
small moustaches became quite popular in the Third Reich. mainly on men.
Original post by arminb
Well, I am not too concerned about their nuclear ambitions because I dont think that they would use them given that they will get wiped off the planet.
- Nazi Germany had a relatively high standard of living compared to DPRK's starvation and EXTREME poverty
- There wasn't much limit on mens grooming compared to DPRK you didnt have to have the same hairstyle as the supreme leader (correct me if I am wrong)
And the Gulags, I invite you to watch this report by Amnesty International :http://www.amnesty.org.uk/north-korea-life-camps
Is there anything we can do? Why can't we attack North Korea and free the people or intensify diplomatic pressure which I seriously doubt to have any effect. The sanctions crippled the economy and caused mass hunger but we have a totalitarian state that doesn't even care. I fear the day that they'll all die of hunger or regime aggression. I assume another way would be to spread anti-regime propaganda amongst the people. But DPRK is the most secretive and protected country in the world.
How can we help them?

Its not so easy to invade a powerful country and topple its government. The CIA likes to do that, illegally, around the world. However, NK doesn't let anyone in or out so that's not possible.
TBF, the US does an awful lot it shouldn't, in collaboration with the West. Why don't we topple our own governments? :P
I'm not sure how it would be possible to help those in NK, supreme leader handles all that lol.
Reply 6
Original post by hellodave5
Its not so easy to invade a powerful country and topple its government. The CIA likes to do that, illegally, around the world. However, NK doesn't let anyone in or out so that's not possible.
TBF, the US does an awful lot it shouldn't, in collaboration with the West. Why don't we topple our own governments? :P
I'm not sure how it would be possible to help those in NK, supreme leader handles all that lol.

Actually quite a few people go in and out of North Korea. The privileged elites, government officials, South Korean workers and managers ect. The best way to deal with North Korea is to allow further contact between the South and North through things like the cross border industrial complex and perhaps student exchanges. One of the key figures in the fall of the USSR had studied in the US and claimed seeing America made it realize the USSR had to go. By allowing further interaction you undermine the regime propaganda and hopefully will eventually bring about an internal revolution. Not that anyone on earth wants that.
Original post by Aj12
Actually quite a few people go in and out of North Korea. The privileged elites, government officials, South Korean workers and managers ect. The best way to deal with North Korea is to allow further contact between the South and North through things like the cross border industrial complex and perhaps student exchanges. One of the key figures in the fall of the USSR had studied in the US and claimed seeing America made it realize the USSR had to go. By allowing further interaction you undermine the regime propaganda and hopefully will eventually bring about an internal revolution. Not that anyone on earth wants that.

That's an interesting concept. I will have to look into the revolution process, I'm not much of a sociology buff. Interesting stuff though.
Hasn't NK shut down these ties with the south on the border?
Reply 8
Original post by arminb
How can we help them?

Neither side wants to deal with the massive amount of refugees.

Technically north Korea is still at war.

Posted from TSR Mobile
North Korea does a better job at destroying itself than us going in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Neither side wants to deal with the massive amount of refugees.

Technically north Korea is still at war.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope it never resumes.
Reply 11
Original post by hellodave5
That's an interesting concept. I will have to look into the revolution process, I'm not much of a sociology buff. Interesting stuff though.
Hasn't NK shut down these ties with the south on the border?

No there are still a few left. You have the Kaisong industrial park and the Mount KumGang tourist Park. These are very small cultural exchanges but they certainly work. Just on the basis of how the South Koreans are dressed and speak conveys an image of prosperity to those North Koreans who come across them. Though all contact is very much limited. Still South Korean DVDs and radio stations are listened to and watched across the border so gradually the regime's control of its populace is being eroded. It may take decades but North Korea will fall. Could be tomorrow or twenty years from now though.
Seoul the South Korean capital is near the border. If nuclear attacks were carried out on North Korea, a genocide would occur in Seoul with conventional weapons.
Original post by arminb
How can we help them?

I believe N.K's nuclear capabilities could be history within an hour using conventional weaponry. Then we could reduce the short fat kids palace to a pile of gravel with him in it and vaporize the top military officials in a similar fashion. The deed would be done before they knew what,(or who), hit them and before China could get hard confirmation. We could then explain to China how sorry we,(U.S.), was and how it was meant to be a military exercise but somebody got their messages mixed up and how the whole thing was just a big paperwork snafu. We could then offer to go in, set up a new Constitution much like we did at the end of WWII in Japan. I'm sure China would decline our offer and would simply annex it which would be a God Send for the N. Korean people.
Reply 14
Original post by Oldcon1953
I believe N.K's nuclear capabilities could be history within an hour using conventional weaponry. Then we could reduce the short fat kids palace to a pile of gravel with him in it and vaporize the top military officials in a similar fashion. The deed would be done before they knew what,(or who), hit them and before China could get hard confirmation. We could then explain to China how sorry we,(U.S.), was and how it was meant to be a military exercise but somebody got their messages mixed up and how the whole thing was just a big paperwork snafu. We could then offer to go in, set up a new Constitution much like we did at the end of WWII in Japan. I'm sure China would decline our offer and would simply annex it which would be a God Send for the N. Korean people.

Lol that is crazy. What an imagination you have; something tells me this won't work I'm not sure what lol.
Reply 15
Original post by Oldcon1953

Do you time travel bro? :O
No but for north koreans china should be heaven. But you are right China wouldnt compromise abd we dont have a Chinaman's chance. Perhaps if it was a UN mission then we would have more right. Afterall, the Korean War was a UN mission that made this mess. We have a responsibility.
Original post by Pulse.
Lol that is crazy. What an imagination you have; something tells me this won't work I'm not sure what lol.

I am relieved to hear that something tells you it won't work. It was born out of frustration for the people of N. Korea. I wish there was something we could do besides a simple regime change which I doubt would accomplish much. I'm not sure what sort of sucession of powers mechanism they have in place but I figured if we could take out the top 40-50 military leaders along with the short fat guy we might be able to affect some change. It's all a hopefull fantasy to be sure. But when you think about it, would China risk a nuclear exchange or conventional confrontation with the U.S. over N. Korea? I could go on but let's just drop it and chalk it up to my advanced years.
Original post by arminb
Do you time travel bro? :O
No but for north koreans china should be heaven. But you are right China wouldnt compromise abd we dont have a Chinaman's chance. Perhaps if it was a UN mission then we would have more right. Afterall, the Korean War was a UN mission that made this mess. We have a responsibility.

It was all a joke but I have often wondered what can be done for the people of N. Korea. It has seemed to me that China is missing a real chance to be seen as bit more liberal in the eyes of the world by not pressing for at least a degree of liberalization in N.K.. It's hard to conceive, in this day and age, of such an iron grip on an entire country being possible. One thing which is probably doable is to enlist the CIA to arrange for the child leader to assume room temperature and just see what happens in his absence. It couldn't possibly be any worse. Hopefully they've gotten better at that sort of thing since it was tried on Castro. We could worry about the legalities later on. Or never.
Original post by arminb
How can we help them?

why would we attack north Korea?
UK and US need to stop acting like the world police and stop getting involved in every single problem. if we attack N Korea...

-waste billions of pounds
-kill a couple 100,000 innocents

UK and US need to learn from the past and keep themselves to themselves. and even if we wanted to help people why dont we help the people of Burma where people get burnt alive everyday and people are being slaughtered. it is the most oppressed group in the world according to UN (funny how they never show it in the media)
Original post by crayz

Correction: we don't attack North Korea because it would cost too much, both directly and through repercussions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending