The Student Room Group

Need help choosing my A-Levels please?

I'm currently in year 11 and i have my exams soon and i dont know what to do with my A-level choices.When I'm older I want a job around Biology but it's known to do chemistry with biology? I have no issue with doing chemistry but it's just that I will have to ditch geography? My currents options are:
Block A: Media
Block B:Geography
Block C: Spanish
Block D: Biology

Another issue im not sure weather to do media its just that there is nothing else id like to do in block A and its kinda a waste to be fair but media seems quite interesting? here are the other options in block A:
business
English lit
EPQ
History
Law
Maths
Media
Music
Physics (is a no)
Psychology
sociology

You're help would be grateful. Thank you.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FloresMae
I'm currently in year 11 and i have my exams soon and i dont know what to do with my A-level choices.When I'm older I want a job around Biology but it's known to do chemistry with biology? I have no issue with doing chemistry but it's just that I will have to ditch geography? My currents options are:
Block A: Media
Block B:Geography
Block C: Spanish
Block D: Biology

Another issue im not sure weather to do media its just that there is nothing else id like to do in block A and its kinda a waste to be fair but media seems quite interesting? here are the other options in block A:
business
English lit
EPQ
History
Law
Maths
Media
Music
Physics (is a no)
Psychology
sociology

You're help would be grateful. Thank you.

What kind of thing in biology would you like to do?
Shouldn't you be going for the science subjects if wanting to do bio?
On the other hand, its probably most important you do things you like :smile:
I would swap media with chemistry, geography is much better respected than media. And if your aiming to do a science at uni its much better to have at least two science a levels
Original post by bazingabazinga
I would swap media with chemistry, geography is much better respected than media. And if your aiming to do a science at uni its much better to have at least two science a levels

She can't do that, because it is not in the list of subjects she has put above.

I would definitely recommend Chemistry, but if you're adamant about Geography, then do Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by bazingabazinga

Thanks for you're help but I can't because chemistry is not in Block A or otherwise I would. Media is in Block A and I've listed whats in Block A but nothing in there really what I want to do?
Reply 5
English lit (which I do and love) or history would be good alternatives if you are looking to get into a more reputable uni, but perhaps psychology would be a good choice to go with biology- I do biology on it's own but if you only do one science/science-related subject for a level it's harder to get into a science-y degree, so I regret not doing chemistry/physics/science related subject like psychology too. However, psychology isn't too reputable, so you'd have to look into it. I would not do law as it's considered soft, the same goes for sociology. I personally hate maths so I wouldn't do it. But stick with media if it's relevant to the degree you want to do and if you love it.
Just actually read the first part properly, lol. It'd be a good idea to do chemistry instead of geography AND do something else in block A, BUT some of my friends do chemistry and it is ridiculously hard, so you'd have to think about it.

Hope this helps! If it was me, I'd probably:
A) change block A to psychology
Or
B) change block A to english lit/history and change block B to chemistry.
Reply 6
I'm going to do maths, physics, chemistry and computer science - but it depends how your brain works - my attitude was to avoid biology but do sciency stuff
Reply 7
Original post by hellodave5
What kind of thing in biology would you like to do?
Shouldn't you be going for the science subjects if wanting to do bio?
On the other hand, its probably most important you do things you like :smile:

I know I should but I'm also interested in geology and plant sciences or cell biology, and my dad said I should keep my language since it should be an advantage? and you can do biology courses in a modern foreign language? I don't know haha. So i just assumed geography would be helpful if the biology thing didn't work out and could go into geology? but to be fair I don't want to do media that much. :s-smilie: Thank you for you're help though :smile:
Reply 8
Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology/Geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by musergirl
English lit (which I do and love) or history would be good alternatives if you are looking to get into a more reputable uni, but perhaps psychology would be a good choice to go with biology- I do biology on it's own but if you only do one science/science-related subject for a level it's harder to get into a science-y degree, so I regret not doing chemistry/physics/science related subject like psychology too. However, psychology isn't too reputable, so you'd have to look into it. I would not do law as it's considered soft, the same goes for sociology. I personally hate maths so I wouldn't do it. But stick with media if it's relevant to the degree you want to do and if you love it.
Just actually read the first part properly, lol. It'd be a good idea to do chemistry instead of geography AND do something else in block A, BUT some of my friends do chemistry and it is ridiculously hard, so you'd have to think about it.

Hope this helps! If it was me, I'd probably:
A) change block A to psychology
Or
B) change block A to english lit/history and change block B to chemistry.

Thankyou, I don't really want to do media to be honest, It's just that there really isn't nothing much to choose from haha. Do you think English lit? would benefit me though?
Reply 10
Original post by Andy98
I'm going to do maths, physics, chemistry and computer science - but it depends how your brain works - my attitude was to avoid biology but do sciency stuff

How comes avoid biology?
Reply 11
How comes avoid biology?

I'm not a fan - that and I'm pants at it.
Reply 12
Original post by Andy98
I'm not a fan - that and I'm pants at it.

Fair do, I guess it's the same with me and physics haha
Thankyou, I don't really want to do media to be honest, It's just that there really isn't nothing much to choose from haha. Do you think English lit? would benefit me though?

Yes, definitely! It's very respected and shows you have other skills - invaluable for getting into uni. I absolutely love it, it's a great subject.

I think it's important to have a bit of a mix of skills in there- for example, I do lit, biology, art and language, and I think the AS I'll drop will be language (it's awful). So I've got a mix of skills in there, however I have disadvantaged myself by not doing another sciencey subject (although if I get good grades it shouldn't matter for me as my uni course - zoology - is one of the only sciencey degrees which don't list another sciencey subject as being essential. Wow, sorry for the rant!).

ANYWAY, my point is that universities value a mix of skills, which lit would give you, however I strong advise you to put yourself in a better position than myself and do another sciencey subject.
Reply 14
Fair do, I guess it's the same with me and physics haha

yeah I see the long words and my brain just shuts down
Reply 15
Original post by musergirl
Yes, definitely! It's very respected and shows you have other skills - invaluable for getting into uni. I absolutely love it, it's a great subject.

I think it's important to have a bit of a mix of skills in there- for example, I do lit, biology, art and language, and I think the AS I'll drop will be language (it's awful). So I've got a mix of skills in there, however I have disadvantaged myself by not doing another sciencey subject (although if I get good grades it shouldn't matter for me as my uni course - zoology - is one of the only sciencey degrees which don't list another sciencey subject as being essential. Wow, sorry for the rant!).

ANYWAY, my point is that universities value a mix of skills, which lit would give you, however I strong advise you to put yourself in a better position than myself and do another sciencey subject.

Thankyou again, i think i will really consider English lit now but if i drop it after AS? will that be fine? or do you think I should do it at A2 as well?
Reply 16
Original post by Andy98
yeah I see the long words and my brain just shuts down

For me it's all the maths and equations
Reply 17
For me it's all the maths and equations

yeah that's the bit I like
I'd also recommend English Literature! It's a really enjoyable subject and not too difficult either :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou again, i think i will really consider English lit now but if i drop it after AS? will that be fine? or do you think I should do it at A2 as well?

Yep, I think it would be ideal for this to be the one you drop, taking into consideration grades and enjoyability! It'll be a good break from other revision-heavy subjects; there's still revision involved, but not a lot. Glad it could help!

Quick Reply

Latest