The Student Room Group

Feel like i'm jumping back on the bandwagon

Ok just gonna clear something up straight from the off the person i'm going to be mentioning about i never dated (although i wish it)

Ok so for about that past year and a half i've been in love with my best friend, now she knows everything, because i told her (i'm an avid believer of not keeping emotions bottled up), she didn't feel the same way about me and never did (she had her reasons) and it's been a tough time but i've been moving on (or at least i thought so) recently while watching How I Met Your Mother (which i actually really like) some of those residual feelings for this girl seeped back to the surface

Now those feelings included me wanting to have sex with this girl, not just because she's attractive, i'm a virgin and i have a personal moral about only wanting to loose it to someone i care about, the thing is i've had a few moments were i've almost genuinely asked her to take it, however knowing how miserable i got last year when i saw her dating a friend and how attached i got to her when i wasn't even dating her makes me not want to either (that and she's said she wouldn't have sex with someone unless she was dating them)

I'm just concerned i'm jumping back bandwagon with my feelings for this girl, also the solution isn't as simple as stop watching HIMYM as my brain loves to over-think things (it's what i do), i'm just not sure how to handle things, like i said she already knows how i felt about her, she knows i still have feelings for her. I ended up torturing myself last year (not literally of course) which lead to consequences in my personal life

Just don't know how to cope with these feelings ....

Apologies if this is a confusing post, i'm not quite sure how to convey my thoughts into words
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Ok just gonna clear something up straight from the off the person i'm going to be mentioning about i never dated (although i wish it)

Ok so for about that past year and a half i've been in love with my best friend, now she knows everything, because i told her (i'm an avid believer of not keeping emotions bottled up), she didn't feel the same way about me and never did (she had her reasons) and it's been a tough time but i've been moving on (or at least i thought so) recently while watching How I Met Your Mother (which i actually really like) some of those residual feelings for this girl seeped back to the surface

Now those feelings included me wanting to have sex with this girl, not just because she's attractive, i'm a virgin and i have a personal moral about only wanting to loose it to someone i care about, the thing is i've had a few moments were i've almost genuinely asked her to take it, however knowing how miserable i got last year when i saw her dating a friend and how attached i got to her when i wasn't even dating her makes me not want to either (that and she's said she wouldn't have sex with someone unless she was dating them)

I'm just concerned i'm jumping back bandwagon with my feelings for this girl, also the solution isn't as simple as stop watching HIMYM as my brain loves to over-think things (it's what i do), i'm just not sure how to handle things, like i said she already knows how i felt about her, she knows i still have feelings for her. I ended up torturing myself last year (not literally of course) which lead to consequences in my personal life

Just don't know how to cope with these feelings ....

Apologies if this is a confusing post, i'm not quite sure how to convey my thoughts into words

Maybe you should just leave her and find someone else? I know it sounds really blunt but there is nothing you can do if she doesn't feel the same way about you.. from experience I find it annoying if a guy kept trying to be with me when I only like him as a friend.. I was never horrible to them but just said I didn't feel the same way

I have never been in this situation, and not sure if you have already tried this but you could distract yourself to take your mind off her? I know alot of people may have said this before, but it really does help! Go out with your friends, or places where you are likely to meet new people, and who knows, you may meet someone else who you really like!

Also, it's not quite the same but can be applied here, is that when my boyfriend broke up with me and I was heartbroken, couldn't stop thinking about him etc. well as soon as I started doing things such as meet up with friends, try new stuff etc. it really took my mind off him and before long I didn't even think about him because I had met another guy who I really liked!

Hope this helps, it was a bit of a confusing post :P
Reply 2
Original post by a.india
Maybe you should just leave her and find someone else? I know it sounds really blunt but there is nothing you can do if she doesn't feel the same way about you.. from experience I find it annoying if a guy kept trying to be with me when I only like him as a friend.. I was never horrible to them but just said I didn't feel the same way

I have never been in this situation, and not sure if you have already tried this but you could distract yourself to take your mind off her? I know alot of people may have said this before, but it really does help! Go out with your friends, or places where you are likely to meet new people, and who knows, you may meet someone else who you really like!

Also, it's not quite the same but can be applied here, is that when my boyfriend broke up with me and I was heartbroken, couldn't stop thinking about him etc. well as soon as I started doing things such as meet up with friends, try new stuff etc. it really took my mind off him and before long I didn't even think about him because I had met another guy who I really liked!

Hope this helps, it was a bit of a confusing post :P

Yea sorry about the confusion, she goes to another uni so distance isn't a problem, and i can easily distract myself day to day, i'm not looking for anyone else right now (among other things i'm graduating uni in a couple of months so ...) my problem is that it keep cropping up at the back of my mind, as much as i would like to be with her, i know that she doesn't feel the same way, hence to confusing feelings
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yea sorry about the confusion, she goes to another uni so distance isn't a problem, and i can easily distract myself day to day, i'm not looking for anyone else right now (among other things i'm graduating uni in a couple of months so ...) my problem is that it keep cropping up at the back of my mind, as much as i would like to be with her, i know that she doesn't feel the same way, hence to confusing feelings

Well there is no easy way to get rid of those feelings, but feelings tend to take time to fade.. which is not the answer alot of people are hoping for! Like I say, the best thing to make the feelings go away quicker or occur less frequently, is just to distract yourself, do other things, meet new people.. even if you aren't looking to be with anyone, it's always refreshing to be with new people. e.g. Hang out, pub etc
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending