The Student Room Group

Is it loose skin or a belly?

Curious as I get back into basic training (#notactuallybasictraining) after finals.
Apologies for ****ty photo. I am quite confused whether this is loose skin or flab.

N.B. Best not to quote me, as my dad might see my profile.

1) I only weigh 11 stone or so so I'm not really overweight…I might be 'skinny-fat', I don't really want to be I'd rather get more muscle on my frame. I don't like having a skinny chest

2) When I pinch it it snaps back and hurts like I'm tugging my skin

3) Cardio alone just makes it worse, I can't burn it off. Lifting seems to add shape/definition to it and it 'sucks in'-I also start to feel shape to my pecs etc. rather than the chest just being flat

4) I haven't really brought this up with my parents and I don't think they want me to worry about it or anything but although I'm not that shallow or vain, I feel like I have the physique of a 12 year old boy atm. I want to feel like a man in bed, I imagine lifting will help on the physical side of that

So yes your opinions people :smile: don't start with the 'stop being a bitch' again...
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're not skinny fat...just skinny.

Just lift

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is what loose skin or flab? There's nothing there! Seriously, you're skinny. A perfect starting point to build some muscle.
Reply 3
I really can't see any fat or loose skin. Just do cardio 5-6 times a week and lift/strength train 2-3 times a week and you'll obtain the physique you desire.
It's not loose skin, loose skin doesn't snap back instantly.

Yes, you are skinny fat. Abs aren't visible therefore it's clear you're holding fat around your waist region. That coupled with lack of muscle makes you look 10.
Reply 5
You're very lean, so when you start building muscle you should start noticing a difference quite quickly. You dont have loose skin, you would need to have spend a long time very overweight to have that. Work hard, you'll get there.
Reply 6
Original post by Universityofme

Yes, you are skinny fat. Abs aren't visible therefore it's clear you're holding fat around your waist region. That coupled with lack of muscle makes you look 10.

What this guy said, just start exercising more
Reply 7
I'm confused, half of you say I'm lean but with no muscle, the other say I'm skinny fat and need lots of cardio too? Am I not best focussing on strength training atm? :-S
Reply 8

Inb4mydadhasabellysoimusttootobeagoodson
Reply 9
You need bulk. Train strength and eat more. You can't grow in size unless you're taking in more calories.
Reply 10
Original post by Genocidal
You need bulk. Train strength and eat more. You can't grow in size unless you're taking in more calories.

Next problem-how to bulk on cheap, Dad won't pay for extra food, can't cook.
These are things I plan to sort after graduation by getting a job, if I can sort them at all.
Meantime is there literally any point in me going to the gym? Will there be any benefit? I've had the argument 'best to get back in the swing of things before suddenly eating more' thrown at me-by my dad no less
Original post by Riku
Next problem-how to bulk on cheap, Dad won't pay for extra food, can't cook.
These are things I plan to sort after graduation by getting a job, if I can sort them at all.
Meantime is there literally any point in me going to the gym? Will there be any benefit? I've had the argument 'best to get back in the swing of things before suddenly eating more' thrown at me-by my dad no less

Yes, many powerlifters are strong yet they have slim frames. It's not all about aesthetics. It's about the other health benefits that come with lifting.

Bulking on the cheap can be done dirty by eating really **** food, but probably not good for your health.
Reply 12
FML you are a twig
Reply 13
So that's what you look like.
Reply 14
Original post by Super199
FML you are a twig

Original post by bertstare
So that's what you look like.

Yeah you see why my dad thinking I'm going to get obsessed with being muscle bound is a :facepalm
reminds me of something I saw on Reddit

Again an improvement on 2 years ago where I was described as having just been released from Auschwitz. Removed that photo because dark days

Frankly feel stronger and just generally more at the top of my game after lifting even without a perfect diet
I'd say you need to build muscle which cardio doesn't do much of, though that's no reason to drop it completely. I'm not an expert but try and keep up the weight training, eating enough protein and food in general good to see you feeling more positive :smile: I follow lots of people you have found their fitness training helps their anxiety and eating disorders so keep at it :biggrin:
Original post by Riku
I'm confused, half of you say I'm lean but with no muscle, the other say I'm skinny fat and need lots of cardio too? Am I not best focussing on strength training atm? :-S

You're not lean, people are assuming the look of a lack of muscle = lean. You have to understand there's ranges between lean, skinny and fat. Hence why you're skinny fat. When you put on more muscle then your body fat will lower automatically and you'll look much better.

At this stage focus on weight training simple because you will look like a cancer patient if you cut at this stage. To look decent lean you have to have the supporting muscle.

You can make decent gains in a relatively short period of time. Liquid calories if you're on a diet. Milk, instant oats, shakes, etc.
Reply 17
You're not lean, people are assuming the look of a lack of muscle = lean. You have to understand there's ranges between lean, skinny and fat. Hence why you're skinny fat. When you put on more muscle then your body fat will lower automatically and you'll look much better.

At this stage focus on weight training simple because you will look like a cancer patient if you cut at this stage. To look decent lean you have to have the supporting muscle.

You can make decent gains in a relatively short period of time. Liquid calories if you're on a diet. Milk, instant oats, shakes, etc.

Yeah I gather :tongue: Ok. Approximately what body fat% am I?
Reply 18
Original post by Starrydog
I'd say you need to build muscle which cardio doesn't do much of, though that's no reason to drop it completely. I'm not an expert but try and keep up the weight training, eating enough protein and food in general good to see you feeling more positive :smile: I follow lots of people you have found their fitness training helps their anxiety and eating disorders so keep at it :biggrin:

That's the plan :tongue: I'm being sort of half-assed about it over finals however.
Glad your regime is helping you too Starrydog :biggrin:
Original post by Riku
That's the plan :tongue: I'm being sort of half-assed about it over finals however.
Glad your regime is helping you too Starrydog :biggrin:

Eurgh I'm doing A levels! I keep myself going with the occasional flapjack

Quick Reply

Latest