The Student Room Group

What is wrong with dating lots of women at a time?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
What if one had a serious relationship with one person but numerous "flings" with others, that way no body gets hurt as only one person needs to know?

is this something that you have been doing? ^.^
Nobody gets hurt as the other person doesn't know, but its immoral and would be very damaging to your partner. People would normally feel guilty if they cheated like that :P but yeah
Reply 41
Original post by Aivicore
The important point is whether or not you tell them. I'm an advocate for polyamorous relationships where everyone involved knows the score, and was actually involved myself last year, at one point having three (consenting) partners at the same time, who all each had other girlfriends too.

However, cheating is something else entirely, whether your girlfriend knows about it or not. You are lying about what kind of values and morals you hold by deliberately withholding the truth and putting people at increased risk of STI's. If you're unable to tell someone you're sleeping with other people, it's because you know that they wouldn't be happy about it - Therefore you are knowingly doing something emotionally harmful to this person.

Weighing up the positives and negatives, it appears that having multiple relationships at once is the best option. Telling the women would just cause too much upset.
Reply 42
Original post by greatandgood
? Is there really anything wrong with dating lots of women at the same time. Why must one feel compelled to inform them. I mean if it is legal why not do it? What they do not know will not hurt them.

There is nothing wrong with dating lots of women at the same time as long as everyone knows what's going on i.e. the women know you're dating other women at the same time.

Dating lots of women without telling them will only lead to trouble in the long run and it is not fair on the women who think they are in a exclusive relationship with you when in reality they are not. One should not play with a woman's feelings.
Reply 43
Original post by hellodave5
is this something that you have been doing? ^.^
Nobody gets hurt as the other person doesn't know, but its immoral and would be very damaging to your partner. People would normally feel guilty if they cheated like that :P but yeah

Why is it immoral?
Reply 44
Accidently voted no I meant yes.
I was going to ask whether you actually meant dating or relationships, but from your posts I gather you mean relationships. Therefore it is wrong. The assumption is that a relationship is exclusive, and it mainly tends to be explicitly so. Therefore if you stray you are a cheat. That is not an exclusive relationship and not what you should be pursing if you cannot control yourself.
If you're so inclined go find yourself open or casual relationship or just date casually rather than being a prat. Simples !
Reply 45
Yes but surely if you are following the law. Then the rest is optional? After all it is just one persons opinion from another?

well, knowing someone conducts human trafficking but not reporting them to the police is not really illegal.But it would be frowned upon.
Similarly,not calling the ambulance after seeing someone get run over or whatever isn't illegal.But it would be frowned upon.

Legislature is usually influenced by society's perception of morality,not the other way round. So there's plenty of things you could do,and be seen as an outcast or just a plain pile of garbage without actually getting arrested for it.

Is it wrong to lead people on?well yeah.
Will you get arrested for it?not really.
Can you do it?help yourself.
Will people like you for it?probably not.
Are you entitled to lack of judgement from normal society?Certainly NOT.
Original post by marinaim
I was going to ask whether you actually meant dating or relationships, but from your posts I gather you mean relationships. Therefore it is wrong. The assumption is that a relationship is exclusive, and it mainly tends to be explicitly so. Therefore if you stray you are a cheat. That is not an exclusive relationship and not what you should be pursing if you cannot control yourself.
If you're so inclined go find yourself open or casual relationship or just date casually rather than being a prat. Simples !

Surely it is freedom of choice whether or not to tell them?. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply 47

Surely it is freedom of choice whether or not to tell them?. Different strokes for different folks.
Why is it immoral?

The other person which you have agreed to have a monogamous relationship with... well... you would be breaking the agreement that had been made, which is inherent when you have a partner unless you state otherwise.
That is, if they hadn't agreed to an open relationship... it would be damaging to the other person.
Carrying out actions which cause harm to others tends to be classed as immoral.
Reply 49

Don't get into exclusive relationships then!! fgs it's not that difficult to understand! If you cannot commit to one person, don't do it, fine. Just get into casual relationships what's the problem with that?

If you deserve the ''freedom of choice'' then so does she to not be with you if you are going to go of with others.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by P357
well, knowing someone conducts human trafficking but not reporting them to the police is not really illegal.But it would be frowned upon.
Similarly,not calling the ambulance after seeing someone get run over or whatever isn't illegal.But it would be frowned upon.

Legislature is usually influenced by society's perception of morality,not the other way round. So there's plenty of things you could do,and be seen as an outcast or just a plain pile of garbage without actually getting arrested for it.

Oh, others are entitled to judge. However, the freedom of the individual is just as important.
Reply 51
Original post by P357

Oh, others are entitled to judge. However, the freedom of the individual is just as important.
Reply 52
Don't get into exclusive relationships then!! fgs it's not that difficult to understand! If you cannot commit to one person, don't do it, fine. Just get into casual relationships what's the problem with that?

What if both the security of a stable exclusive relationship and the spontaneity of flings are required? This would bring about pleasure for everyone.
Reply 53
What if both the security of a stable exclusive relationship and the spontaneity of flings are required? This would bring about pleasure for everyone.

Those 2 are not 'needs'. And it doesn't if the stable relationship finds out.

Then again, as I said in my edit, why do you deserve that 'freedom of choice' if she does not? Surely she deserves the choice to know that you are a cheat and do not actually want an exclusive relationship?

Also, a casual relationship can be perfectly stable. so I fail to see why you cannot have a casual relationship/s and flings. There is no reason at all to mislead someone into an exclusive relationship when that's not what you want.
Why do you say that?

hes intentionally not saying it.
you wouldnt not say you were with other women because it didnt come to mind.
hence hes aware its likely hes hurting her...
in our society hurting people with intention is frowned upon especially with something like this..

Then again, as I said in my edit, why do you deserve that 'freedom of choice' if she does not? Surely she deserves the choice to know that you are a cheat and do not actually want an exclusive relationship?

Also, a casual relationship can be perfectly stable. so I fail to see why you cannot have a casual relationship/s and flings. There is no reason at all to mislead someone into an exclusive relationship when that's not what you want.

She is welcome to leave at any opportunity, I would respect that choice. However, I am not under any compulsion to tell her this, that is my freedom of choice.
Reply 56

She is welcome to leave at any opportunity, I would respect that choice. However, I am not under any compulsion to tell her this, that is my freedom of choice.
Reply 57
First of all, I think such mentality is disgusting and I would never wanna date someone like this. But arguing about morality and legality would not lead us anywhere. I have a different opinion about this issue:

If cheating can be your "choice", wanting a faithful partner can be mine. I think you should not deprive somebody from their freedom of choice. That's why you should let your partner know about what you think. If he/she is fine with it, then do whatever you want. Some people are satisfied with just hanging out from time to time and not taking it seriously.

But if your partner wants a relationship, instead of ****ing a thousand girls without letting her know, simply don't go out with her in the first place.
Reply 58

But you are not giving her the freedom of choice. Choice comes with knowledge and you're denying her that.
All it comes down to is you do not respect women imo - as I said there is NO reason to enter an exclusive relationship fraudulently even though you can achieve what you want with casual relationships.
Reply 59
Original post by aeniel
First of all, I think such mentality is disgusting and I would never wanna date someone like this. But arguing about morality and legality would not lead us anywhere. I have a different opinion about this issue:

If cheating can be your "choice", wanting a faithful partner can be mine. I think you should not deprive somebody from their freedom of choice. That's why you should let your partner know about what you think. If he/she is fine with it, then do whatever you want. Some people are satisfied with just hanging out from time to time and not taking it seriously.

But if your partner wants a relationship, instead of ****ing a thousand girls without letting her know, simply don't go out with her in the first place.

Here you are mistaken. You are welcome to decide your own actions so long as they adhere to the law. However, you are not welcome to decide others actions unless they break the law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending