The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrankCormic
Hello! I was thinking about taking the Royal Statistical Society Graduate Certificate in Y13. What are your thoughts? Would you say that it is hard or worth my time?

There is no such qualification to my knowledge. Did you mean Graduate Diploma?
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
There is no such qualification to my knowledge. Did you mean Graduate Diploma?

Yes sorry! I thought it was a Cert but it is the Diploma.
Yes sorry! I thought it was a Cert but it is the Diploma.

I've just read your other posts and have concluded you are barmy. It is *way* too difficult for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
I've just read your other posts and have concluded you are barmy. It is *way* too difficult for you.

Why???
Why???

Because you don't currently do any mathematics at all and this is the standard of the third year of a statistics degree. You would have 9 hours of exams on the first day and 6 hours on the next.
"The Graduate Diploma is the highest level of the Royal Statistical Society's professional examinations. It is of a standard equivalent to that of a good UK Honours Degree in Statistics, giving a thorough and wide-ranging treatment of theoretical and applied statistics at final-year undergraduate level."

You want to do that in year 13???
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
Because you don't currently do any mathematics at all and this is the standard of the third year of a statistics degree. You would have 9 hours of exams on the first day and 6 hours on the next.

Yes well I could just take 1 module and see how it goes?

Original post by rayquaza17
"The Graduate Diploma is the highest level of the Royal Statistical Society's professional examinations. It is of a standard equivalent to that of a good UK Honours Degree in Statistics, giving a thorough and wide-ranging treatment of theoretical and applied statistics at final-year undergraduate level."

You want to do that in year 13???
Yes well I could just take 1 module and see how it goes?

What are you hoping to achieve?
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
What are you hoping to achieve?

I just want to enhance my learning and gain qualifications.

Why statistics though? Why don't you do a GCSE or an AS if you need something to fill your time?

I think you may be best studying A Level Maths in your spare time, rather than trying to do something that is equivalent to 3 years of university.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M
Why statistics though? Why don't you do a GCSE or an AS if you need something to fill your time?

It's an interesting subject and could help me in the future.

I think you may be best studying A Level Maths in your spare time, rather than trying to do something that is equivalent to 3 years of university.

Why though? Why not go for the best thing instead of wasting time on a lesser thing??
It's an interesting subject and could help me in the future.

Why though? Why not go for the best thing instead of wasting time on a lesser thing??

Why am I studying maths at uni when I should just go straight into a PHD?

Why bother doing a levels?

Why did I bother doing GCSEs?

Why do you think it is the best thing?
Reply 15
Why am I studying maths at uni when I should just go straight into a PHD?

Why bother doing a levels?

Why did I bother doing GCSEs?

If you can jump a stage you should do!
Reply 16
Original post by Mr M
Why do you think it is the best thing?

I think that the Diploma is the best thing to do. I accept that it is at degree level and hard but it should not be a reason not to do it!
Reply 17
I think that the Diploma is the best thing to do. I accept that it is at degree level and hard but it should not be a reason not to do it!

Have you considered Part III of the Cambridge Maths Tripos? It would carry considerably more weight with employers and research institutes.
Original post by davros
Have you considered Part III of the Cambridge Maths Tripos? It would carry considerably more weight with employers and research institutes.

This.
Reply 19
Original post by davros

Original post by Mr M
This.

Can I sit the exams even though I do not have a undergrad degree?

Latest