The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No because the majority of people are straight so it would be like stating the obvious.
"I'm sorry mum and dad, but I like boys now."
Reply 3
I know of one formerly bi girl who's now exclusively straight (no it's not Jessie J)
:facepalm2:
I'm bi, I only came out because there was a guy I liked, I never expected that I'd actually have to do it, but it's quite a good feeling when you eventually do.

Maybe if more straight people came out, they'd feel good too :smile:
The majority of us are straight therefore it's assumed. It would be like telling people what they already know
Reply 7
No they shouldn't... just like gay people shouldn't have to
Ok.. I'll come out.

Guys, I'm straight.

:smile:
Should I come out as a lover of chicken wings?
Reply 10
Given that something like 90ish% of people are cis and straight it's a pretty safe bet to assume that your child/friend/random guy on the street is. There's no need to come out for them.

Oh and FYI coming out doesn't have to be a big announcement
(edited 9 years ago)
No, unless there was a specific reason as to why people would think you're not straight
I'd assume that people would expect most people to be heterosexual, so it's kind of like "coming out as a member of the majority" :lol: it's not really necessary
but I do however respect the message you're conveying - gay people in principle shouldn't really be expected to do it when straight people don't, but it's simply a matter of how most people at least assume people to be straight until information comes around suggesting otherwise
(edited 9 years ago)
I think the whole concept of "coming out" is a bit odd, I feel like it implies that there's something wrong with not being straight. At the end of the day I don't think your sexuality should really matter to anyone apart from the person you're in a relationship with and we (by that I mean our current society) shouldn't be making such a big deal about coming out.
Society just shouldn't give a ****. You'll know what people like when they tell you or when you see them date.
Reply 15
No. I don't really care whether gay people come out or not either. Other people's sexuality is of no concern to me.
It's assumed that you're straight unless you declare otherwise. Which is silly in many ways but since the majority are straight it makes a bit of sense. Revealing your sexuality shouldn't have to be a big announcement. I'm trying not to refer to myself as straight so much because I feel like it seems as though I'm trying to dissociate myself from other sexualities, when I'm not. I like guys, I know that much, but who knows, sexuality is fluid, I may not have met a girl I fancy. :lol:
Original post by ILovePancakes
Ok.. I'll come out.

Guys, I'm straight.

:smile:

Omg I'm here to support you. Can't imagine how hard it was for you to keep that to yourself :smile:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Omg I'm here to support you. Can't imagine how hard it was for you to keep that to yourself :smile:

Thank you. You have no idea how much your support means to me in this difficult time.
I don't think anyone should have to "come out" to anything. You shouldn't feel obligated nor put obligation to anyone for disclosing what preference they have. You shag who you want, you love who you want and you're repulsed by whatever genitalia you want too.

What's even more annoying is those people who make a big deal over "coming out" - leave them alone. They are gay/lesbian/bi. Get over it.

Latest