The Student Room Group

The move from a State School to a Private School- How do you fit in?

Hi, I would just like some tips/advice from anyone about going to a reputable private school for Sixth Form. I applied for a scholarship at the school where I was successful in getting one and I shall be joining the school from next September. I have attended both a State primary and high school which means that I don't have much of an idea of how different things will be. i don't come from an advantaged household so I'm not sure whether this could hold me back there, mainly with my future classmates. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Don't waste your money, state schools are just as good and give you a better experience in terms of meeting "normal" people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Trouty97
Don't waste your money, state schools are just as good and give you a better experience in terms of meeting "normal" people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In general, private schools are better academically and sport-wise and have normal people. Obviously there will be some exceptions, i.e. the best colleges in the country will outperform some private schools and sixth forms like Eton certainly aren't normal.

OP, your future classmates won't care about your income, trust me. There is the possibility of there being some douchebags who believe they are entitled to the world because of daddy's money but they are few and far between.
Reply 4
Ok this will sound like crap advice but you don't really need to do anything other than be yourself. Trust me, you will make friends easily and also you'll find that not everyone in a private school will be completely different to everyone you've ever been to school with. In fact, the majority of them will just seem completely 'normal' to you. Don't try and treat them differently because you think they've got some sort of higher social class because of what school they go to. Also you're joining in sixth form where other state school kids might join.

To fully answer your question, you can't predict what the people will be like but they won't be as extreme or OTT as you think. The only way to find out is to meet them.

I hope you enjoy your new school :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You'll be fine. I found myself in the midst of a very abrupt and rushed move to a private school from a state school and it was fine! I settled in perfectly and got all the support in changing exam boards and all the syllabi in my subjects and came out with good GCSE's.

In the ideal world I would have gone back to do my A Levels but I ended up at a series of other post 16 places that are state funded.

Digression aside: You will be fine. Just don't try and be something you aren't or else you will be shunned by everyone. We had a girl like that in our class and none of us liked her... given that we were a class of c.8 students, it isn't very comfortable to be an outcast with everyone talking behind your back for being an idiot!
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

You couldn't be anymore wrong. I'd resent the secondary school I went to prior to transferring to a private college being anything on par with the place. I was miles ahead once I transferrred, compared to being in crap groups with crap students of a crap ability in a generally crap school. I suppose you can't say all schools are like the place but that was my only experience of a state secondary and I hated it. Similar stories are heard from peers too.

The state system fails.

Original post by samy1014
Ok this will sound like crap advice but you don't really need to do anything other than be yourself. Trust me, you will make friends easily and also you'll find that not everyone in a private school will be completely different to everyone you've ever been to school with. In fact, the majority of them will just seem completely 'normal' to you. Don't try and treat them differently because you think they've got some sort of higher social class because of what school they go to. Also you're joining in sixth form where other state school kids might join.

To fully answer your question, you can't predict what the people will be like but they won't be as extreme or OTT as you think. The only way to find out is to meet them.

I hope you enjoy your new school :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

THIS! Be yourself and don't act an idiot or everyone will shun you and treat you like one. Much like you'd get anywhere else.
We aren't all posh, rahs or stuck up our own rear... a few people may have been but you'd laugh it off at them..
Reply 7
Original post by Lord Jon
You couldn't be anymore wrong. I'd resent the secondary school I went to prior to transferring to a private college being anything on par with the place. I was miles ahead once I transferrred, compared to being in crap groups with crap students of a crap ability in a generally crap school. I suppose you can't say all schools are like the place but that was my only experience of a state secondary and I hated it. Similar stories are heard from peers too.

The state system fails.

THIS! Be yourself and don't act an idiot or everyone will shun you and treat you like one. Much like you'd get anywhere else.
We aren't all posh, rahs or stuck up our own rear... a few people may have been but you'd laugh it off at them..

Spoken like a true private school student who thinks that because they have paid for something, it must be better than any thing you can get for free.
While my statement was a generalisation of state schools, and probably a poor one given that I go to a grammar school, my point is that given the ludicrous amounts of money that you (or rather your parents) pay, the improvement is not really worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoken like someone who has a stick up their arse.
Reply 9
It really depends which school it is... Which sixth form are you going to?
speak like a 1950s news reader
Reply 11
Spoken like a true private school student who thinks that because they have paid for something, it must be better than any thing you can get for free.
While my statement was a generalisation of state schools, and probably a poor one given that I go to a grammar school, my point is that given the ludicrous amounts of money that you (or rather your parents) pay, the improvement is not really worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the improvement was certainly good for me! I benefited from it. You must really despise people from a private school and have a chip on your shoulder.

If anything, I would be more critical of it seeing as money was spent on it... The simple fact is state is free. State system fails. It fails in areas and it fails certain students and groups of too. You can't shove that under the carpet no matter how much you probably want to.

In addition, no. It is no more ludicrous than the £9,000 I'll be paying to go to uni this year so not as bad as you say...
Reply 12
Original post by Lord Jon
Well the improvement was certainly good for me! I benefited from it. You must really despise people from a private school and have a chip on your shoulder.

If anything, I would be more critical of it seeing as money was spent on it... The simple fact is state is free. State system fails. It fails in areas and it fails certain students and groups of too. You can't shove that under the carpet no matter how much you probably want to.

In addition, no. It is no more ludicrous than the £9,000 I'll be paying to go to uni this year so not as bad as you say...

In what way does the state school system fail. The only two possible groups it could fail is those so thick that they can't deal with workload and smart people who are unable to do anything off their own back and do only what they are set in class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not 'wasting' any money as I got it by earning a scholarship but I have to disagree as I think a private school will allow me to unleash my full potential by working with like-minded people, I do feel that I am slightly held back at my current state school.
Reply 14
Original post by Peach Juice
It really depends which school it is... Which sixth form are you going to?

Grammar School at Leeds
Reply 15
Original post by Azzer11
I am not 'wasting' any money as I got it by earning a scholarship but I have to disagree as I think a private school will allow me to unleash my full potential by working with like-minded people, I do feel that I am slightly held back at my current state school.

You know that if you really "like minded" as you say, you would be able to unleash your full potential anyway as you would have the drive to do things because you want to, not because you are told to. People can do anything, you just have to set your mind to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
You know that if you really "like minded" as you say, you would be able to unleash your full potential anyway as you would have the drive to do things because you want to, not because you are told to. People can do anything, you just have to set your mind to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I try my best but I think that if I had a better quality of teaching available to me and being among determined students who want to do well will significantly help me do the best that I can.
Reply 17
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
speak like a 1950s news reader

Aha, good idea :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by Azzer11
Well I try my best but I think that if I had a better quality of teaching available to me and being among determined students who want to do well will significantly help me do the best that I can.

Generally the worst students are the ones who blame their teachers for their shortcomings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Generally the worst students are the ones who blame their teachers for their shortcomings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not blaming anyone for any shortcomings. I don't think anyone can deny that there are very good teachers and not so good teachers throughout any school. I also don't think anyone can deny that a good teacher is key to understanding a subject and ultimately performing well in that subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending