The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol tutorials

Since, apparently (according to sample timetables), you get fairly regular tutorials a Bristol, I was wondering how useful they are. How many students per lecturer/postgrad? That sort of thing - specifically for chemistry, but anyone at Bristol would probably be helpful.

Thanks
Original post by William Turtle
Since, apparently (according to sample timetables), you get fairly regular tutorials a Bristol, I was wondering how useful they are. How many students per lecturer/postgrad? That sort of thing - specifically for chemistry, but anyone at Bristol would probably be helpful.

Thanks

Interesting - you don't have Bristol under your UCAS section on your signature yet you're asking? :tongue:

The usefulness of a tutorial really depends on your tutor. Some just read out the answers, whereas some make you go up to the board and work through it, and offer guidance if you get stuck. But some tutors are really good at explaining things. Some won't be. In your first term there's usually 4-5 of you and in the second term there will be double that amount. This is for chemistry tutorials, I assume it'll be quite similar for Biochemistry tutorials though.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Interesting - you don't have Bristol under your UCAS section on your signature yet you're asking? :tongue:

The usefulness of a tutorial really depends on your tutor. Some just read out the answers, whereas some make you go up to the board and work through it, and offer guidance if you get stuck. But some tutors are really good at explaining things. Some won't be. In your first term there's usually 4-5 of you and in the second term there will be double that amount. This is for chemistry tutorials, I assume it'll be quite similar for Biochemistry tutorials though.

Ohh, goodness, I should probably update that. I'm taking a gap year and reapplying for chem - I changed my mind.

OK, thanks very much.

(I updated my signature)
(edited 10 years ago)
Tutorials probably 10 - 15 is the normal. Usefulness all depends on the tutor. Some are great and others are terrible. Usually there's plenty of work to prepare for the tutorial so how much time you put into that can determine how much you get out of the tutorial.
Bristol doesnt spoon-feed its students. In all subjects you are expected to do most of your learning outside tutorials and lectures. So finding out how many hours worth of tutorials you get for any subject won't actually tell you a great deal about what its like to be a student at Bristol. Ultimately you get out of Uni what you are prepared to put in - anyone thinking they can just drift along doing the bare minimum for 3 years ans just casually turn up to tutorials expecting to just sit there and be 'taught' everything, especially at a high-achievers Uni like Bristol, might be in for a surprise awakening on arrival!
Original post by returnmigrant
Bristol doesnt spoon-feed its students. In all subjects you are expected to do most of your learning outside tutorials and lectures. So finding out how many hours worth of tutorials you get for any subject won't actually tell you a great deal about what its like to be a student at Bristol. Ultimately you get out of Uni what you are prepared to put in - anyone thinking they can just drift along doing the bare minimum for 3 years ans just casually turn up to tutorials expecting to just sit there and be 'taught' everything, especially at a high-achievers Uni like Bristol, might be in for a surprise awakening on arrival!

Just wondering, which unis actually do this? I thought unis weren't supposed to do this anyway :tongue:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Just wondering, which unis actually do this? I thought unis weren't supposed to do this anyway :tongue:

You'd be surprised what the idea of 'students as customers' makes many think they are entitled to.
slightly unrelated, but when do freshers usually get their course timetable?
Original post by iamyourmum
slightly unrelated, but when do freshers usually get their course timetable?

Usually in Freshers Week or just before. Before this, exact 'numbers' for the entire course and optional units are unknown so rooms/lecture halls/staff can't be firmly scheduled. Btw, this timetable usually changes in the first week or so as people shift between options, room booking glitches are sorted out etc. You will get a Freshers Week timetable before this - with introductory sessions, socials, group meetings with key staff etc, but the real teaching timetable will only get going after that and won't look anything like what happened in Freshers Week.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant

There was no implication of this whatsoever in my question. I consider tutorials to be a good method of supplementing learning, not as a free ticket to enlightenment. Useful contact time is evidently a factor to consider when selecting university choices, as is the arrogance of its students..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending