The Student Room Group

It's amazing what a £3 car wash will do..

I hadn't washed the Golf at all in the 7 or 8 months that I'd owned it so I decided it was time. I'd painted the bumper tops (ala GTI, so much nicer) and I wanted to refurb the wheels which were filthy, so it was time. I ran it through the car wash in the local Asda car park for the grand total of three pounds, and this was the result. I was blown away at how well the original, red (easily fades on most cars), paint came right out. Looks fairly tidy now, if in need of a little boot polish on the chin spoilers and rub strips.

This car gets a lot of mileage and gets thrashed around hard, I'm surprised it still looks this good. The only problem is that the wash pulled the paint off the rust on the bottom of the passenger side wing, which means I need to get my ass in gear and paint and fit the spare that I have.

I also want to joey-mod the headlights (paint the inside surfaces that aren't reflectors, black), I'm working on the wheels with gun-metal grey and silver, and needs work on the front grille strip, the only red part on the car that'd faded. Then some other stuff, like painting the green wing and blue door, but hey that can wait.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

car wash will ruin a new car paint >>
Reply 2
Original post by TrainTracks1996
car wash will ruin a new car paint >>

Good thing this paint is 17 years old :rolleyes:
Original post by Nuffles
Good thing this paint is 17 years old :rolleyes:

Was it automated ? They tend to leave swirl marks on your car

Hence id never use them
Reply 4
Was it automated ? They tend to leave swirl marks on your car

Hence id never use them

Automated, and no swirl marks. I was very impressed. This is non-metallic paint though, which might have something to do with it.
Reply 5
Still rocking the green door?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you the girl in the pic ?
Reply 7
I take my car to some Albanian car washers. They're excellent.
Reply 8
Original post by mattcam94
Still rocking the green door?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Green wing, blue door :frown: My girlfriend hates it but everyone else loves it. I took both wings off the donor car so I'm gunna have a go at painting the spare one and see how it turns out. If it looks good ill do the wing and door and get them back to red.
Reply 9
Are you the girl in the pic ?

That'd be my girlfriend. Itd be well fun having her boobs though.
Original post by Nuffles

Lol what?

Of course, the car will look good after a wash:lol:
is this your first car?

Where do you live? (I'm not asking this so I can steal your car:ninja: just the place looks rich:tongue:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nuffles

Traintracks isnt much of a boob guy, I think his more of a come sit in the back of my spacious saloon Passat and sit on my face type of guy.
Reply 12
Original post by Nuffles
Green wing, blue door :frown: My girlfriend hates it but everyone else loves it. I took both wings off the donor car so I'm gunna have a go at painting the spare one and see how it turns out. If it looks good ill do the wing and door and get them back to red.

Haha think it looks brilliant myself. Unique!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Nuffles

We need a pic without a VW in front
Reply 14
Original post by Nuffles

You should tell her it is the Harlequin edition :smile:

Not making this up but VW in the 90s actually made a Polo, Golf and I think they did it with the Passat as well where every panel had a different colour.
Reply 15
Reply 16
Original post by Solemn Rain
Lol what?

Of course, the car will look good after a wash:lol:
is this your first car?

Where do you live? (I'm not asking this so I can steal your car:ninja: just the place looks rich:tongue:)

Haha no not my first car, my seventh or eighth actually, and my second mk3. I live on Constitution Hill in Swansea, pretty much as far from rich as you can get :tongue:

I only moved to the city a couple of years ago, and grew up in the middle of butt-**** nowhere. We just didn't bother to wash our cars because they'd get just as dirty in a couple of days. I also come from a 4x4 background where generally muddier = better :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Alfissti
You should tell her it is the Harlequin edition :smile:

Not making this up but VW in the 90s actually made a Polo, Golf and I think they did it with the Passat as well where every panel had a different colour.

There's a Harlequin bombing around Swansea from time to time, but I'm pretty sure it's a home-brew as the panels are the wrong colours for the base colour. They did mk2 Harlequins too I think :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by Pêchethé
We need a pic without a VW in front

For the perv in the back who wants to check out my girlfriend :rolleyes:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1469796_10153484466145641_1228278695_n.jpg
Reply 19
Original post by Nuffles
Haha no not my first car, my seventh or eighth actually, and my second mk3. I live on Constitution Hill in Swansea, pretty much as far from rich as you can get :tongue:

I only moved to the city a couple of years ago, and grew up in the middle of butt-**** nowhere. We just didn't bother to wash our cars because they'd get just as dirty in a couple of days. I also come from a 4x4 background where generally muddier = better :biggrin:

You get the "think 'n proud lot" amongst the 4x4 fraternity that seem to think that...
Personally, I just think muddy 4x4 = rotting chassis from the inside out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending