The Student Room Group

What is the "Uni Experience"?

People have always referred to the university experience as being what every student wants and should want to experience during their time in higher education.

What is the uni experience to you, and did you live it as you wanted? Did you seek to follow it or to avoid it? Do you think people have missed out if they don't experience it?

To me the experience people often talk about is the whole being away from home for the first time, getting drunk for the first time, living in shared accommodation with strangers, having no money and a huge overdraft and then finding a flat with the friends you make for the second and third year.

I never experienced this at uni as I'd already been out clubbing, been drunk at house parties, made out with strangers and fended for myself living without parents before I'd finished A levels so the experience didn't appeal much to me and I lived at home, and later found out a lot of course mates did too.

I can see how both wanting to and not wanting to experience it are equally fun :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
This forum isn't what it used to be. If the topic isn't about sex or religion you can forget getting any replies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Maybe you should have put this in the university section.

I haven't gone to uni yet but I think the uni experience for me is probably living away from home, becoming more independent and generally just 'growing up'. I've done all the other stuff so although the partying part of uni should still be fun, it won't be something new. I've been in the same area most of my life and been around the same kinds of people so I'm excited to meet new people from different backgrounds and just experience a new city.
Freedom, little/no responsibilities, lots of sex.
Original post by Vixen47
Freedom, little/no responsibilities, lots of sex.

sounds like a plan :colone::banana:
I've learned more "life skills" definitely. Such as, cooking.

It's just looking after yourself/being independent, having the freedom to do whatever. I'm coming to the end of my second year now (already, it's gone so quick!) and I'd recommend Uni to anyone.
Reply 8
What is the uni experience to you, and did you live it as you wanted? Did you seek to follow it or to avoid it? Do you think people have missed out if they don't experience it?

I suppose we all have a concept of the university experience before we go; making new friends, partying, eating pot noodles, being skint, last minute deadlines and perhaps finding love. Although it appealed to me I got most of my partying done before I went to university so I wasn't bothered about that aspect of it. My university experience wasn't what I expected, and to be honest it has been a bit boring. Initially I hated it, and got so homesick that I took a temporary withdrawal. But when I went back it was a lot better, made some great mates and did have a fun time, just not quite on the level I expected beforehand. Don't regret my university experience, academically it has been enjoyable. It has also helped me gain independence, and taught me a lot about life, I'm a different person compared to when I started. Overall my university experience wasn't anything like I was expecting, but I still don't regret it.

Quick Reply

Latest