The Student Room Group

violin playing at uni

I'm in year 12 and started playing the violin 7 months ago and I've done my grade 1. Is it possible to carry on playing/progressing at uni, as I wont be good enough to join any orchestras and I doubt people in neighbouring rooms would want to listen to me practising?
Reply 1
Guy in the room next to me practises his guitar all the time, doesn't really bother me. Just be considerate and don't play too early/late
Original post by vergo97
I'm in year 12 and started playing the violin 7 months ago and I've done my grade 1. Is it possible to carry on playing/progressing at uni, as I wont be good enough to join any orchestras and I doubt people in neighbouring rooms would want to listen to me practising?

Most unis will have dedicated music practice rooms that you can book out for free / small charge.

I imagine a lot will also have a list of student music teachers if you wish to continue taking lessons while you're there.
I doubt people will mind as long as it's a reasonable time. There's a guy near me that plays the bagpipes and it's not too annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could often hear someone in the surrounding area practicing the bagpipes when I lived in halls. It was far enough away it didn't bother me too much, **** being their neighbor though.

Quick Reply

Latest