The Student Room Group

Uni - How to survive a relationship?

My gf is going to uni in September, and were looking into way of how to make our relationship work. Ive just graduated and from past experience, ive learned that relationships are hard to have while at uni but is possible.

How do you make it work? i have a car so ill be seeing her at least twice a week, skype, phone, text. How else?

Anyone has been in a simmilar position? how did you make it work? if it didnt work? why not? what happend?
Reply 1
Well for me it didn't work because my (sort of) ex bf went to uni 2 hours away and honestly neither of us were bothered to travel to see each other often. I was always busy with work and have long commuting times anyway so seeing eachother on weekdays was impossible. He couldnt afford to travel down every weekend, and I just didn't want to. We texted/called each other all the time but I didn't want to be with someone when I was only seeing them once a fortnight.

So I guess I'd say the key thing is to make sure you see each other often! Twice a week sounds about right. :smile:
Original post by ChelseaFCCC
My gf is going to uni in September, and were looking into way of how to make our relationship work. Ive just graduated and from past experience, ive learned that relationships are hard to have while at uni but is possible.

How do you make it work? i have a car so ill be seeing her at least twice a week, skype, phone, text. How else?

Anyone has been in a simmilar position? how did you make it work? if it didnt work? why not? what happend?

Don't get your hopes up is my advice. Especially considering that based on your other thread you don't appear to have a very solid relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can only speak from my experience but so far I've been finding it fine... He's always busy with his sports or whatever, or I'm at work so we just send the odd message/have a conversation when we can. We see each other once every 6 weeks on average because it's £100 return for us (that's what 300 miles apart does to you) but whatever, you deal with it. We usually Skype around once a week but we have gone 3 weeks without Skyping when he was abroad/I was doing night shifts/general tiredness and business. Phone calls aren't really something we do, though I'm not too sure why to be honest. I think we're just content with what we've got going on now in terms of a system.

Not to be rude, but if she's going to be studying is she going to make time for you at least twice a week every week?
Reply 4
LDR can work but if you both want it. Talk,skype at least once a day. See how things go. It might fizzle out it might not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Don't go for her freshers' week.
Original post by ChelseaFCCC

If both people are willing to put in the effort, it's completely possible. If you're seeing eachother every week and you make sure you communicate in between, it shouldn't be that much of a problem (I'm at uni & my boyfriend and I try and meet once a week, but we'll go a month without seeing eachother. That being said, we text eachother throughout the day most days, so we're always talking).

But it's important to bear in mind that some relationships don't work out when people go to uni because of a change in circumstances, etc. I think it totally depends on the people/relationship itself and whether you're willing to put the effort in!

Also, trust and giving your girlfriend space/letting her be independent is important, and based on your other thread, I think this is something you need to consider.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm probably not the best person to ask as my relationship recently ended but I'd definitely say that giving each other space and being understanding of what each other are doing separately are very important qualities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending