The Student Room Group

Do you want to be "hot"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'll be the first one to be vain and say that I wish I was more attractive then. I don't see why anyone wouldn't wish that, unless you're already beautiful and get too much attention because of it. You say be happy in your own skin, but, playing devil's advocate, I have to ask whether you dye your hair, wear make-up, dress well? And if you had the opportunity to change something about your appearance are you honestly saying you wouldn't even tweak a thing? You wouldn't increase your breast size, shave off a little weight here and there, give yourself longer legs, or a smaller nose, or perfect skin?

I don't mean to discredit your argument. I'm a cynic but I also think it's important to be yourself, it took me a long long time to get to where I am now in terms of being confident in who I am, I just don't think it's plausible to ever be one hundred percent happy with yourself. Satisfied, perhaps. But happy? Or even content? No, I think even supermodels doubt their own beauty.

"Being happy with who you are" is a fallacy, but a good one. Being unhappy is what pushes us towards improvement. Being unhappy with our intelligence forces us to learn, being unhappy with our lifestyle forces us to step up the career ladder, being unhappy in our appearance forces us to eat healthily and look after ourselves.
Reply 41
Original post by katywillis
I'll be the first one to be vain and say that I wish I was more attractive then. I don't see why anyone wouldn't wish that, unless you're already beautiful and get too much attention because of it. You say be happy in your own skin, but, playing devil's advocate, I have to ask whether you dye your hair, wear make-up, dress well? And if you had the opportunity to change something about your appearance are you honestly saying you wouldn't even tweak a thing? You wouldn't increase your breast size, shave off a little weight here and there, give yourself longer legs, or a smaller nose, or perfect skin?

I don't mean to discredit your argument. I'm a cynic but I also think it's important to be yourself, it took me a long long time to get to where I am now in terms of being confident in who I am, I just don't think it's plausible to ever be one hundred percent happy with yourself. Satisfied, perhaps. But happy? Or even content? No, I think even supermodels doubt their own beauty.

"Being happy with who you are" is a fallacy, but a good one. Being unhappy is what pushes us towards improvement. Being unhappy with our intelligence forces us to learn, being unhappy with our lifestyle forces us to step up the career ladder, being unhappy in our appearance forces us to eat healthily and look after ourselves.

This.
I would wish i was more attractive but i prefer the challenge of having average to above average looks, but hey,thats just me.(maybe for a day or two actually)

Being unhappy is good to a very small extent, VERY small. You can still want to improve yourself and be happy, but yeah..the amount of unhappiness should be small.
Reply 43
I used to actually, but now I'm rocking with what god gave me :headbang:
Reply 44
There are different notions of attractiveness, there are people we subjectively find attractive and people we think are objectively attractive, and they are not necessarily the same people.

Being "hot" is normally more than just being good looking, it normally carries with it a more obviously sexual connotation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending