The Student Room Group

sleeping pills?

I have a terrible sleeping pattern, since it's the holidays, I go to bed a lot later than usual, but now it's gotten to the point where I sleep at 6am and and wake up at 3pm, it's not really a huge deal right now but I'm going back to school in a few days and I really struggle to get my sleeping pattern back to normal. If I don't get 6+ hours of sleep, I'm tired after school and I go to sleep but then I'm awake at night. I have my gcse's coming up in a few weeks and I really need to do some revision after school, however I'll probably end up sleeping and I won't get any revision done. I also don't want to be staying up until am revising during exam period, I want to get enough sleep each day so I'm not tired the next day.

During my mocks, I was cramming (bad idea I know) until 3am/4am and it was hell during that time because I couldn't go home and sleep, I had to revise for my next exam,this was only a week of exams, and I don't want to go through this in a whole month! I don't want to waste my days catching up on sleep instead of revising. Would I be able to get sleeping pills? If not, what's the best way of getting my sleeping pattern back to normal?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a terrible sleeping pattern, since it's the holidays, I go to bed a lot later than usual, but now it's gotten to the point where I sleep at 6am and and wake up at 3pm, it's not really a huge deal right now but I'm going back to school in a few days and I really struggle to get my sleeping pattern back to normal. If I don't get 6+ hours of sleep, I'm tired after school and I go to sleep but then I'm awake at night. I have my gcse's coming up in a few weeks and I really need to do some revision after school, however I'll probably end up sleeping and I won't get any revision done. I also don't want to be staying up until am revising during exam period, I want to get enough sleep each day so I'm not tired the next day.

During my mocks, I was cramming (bad idea I know) until 3am/4am and it was hell during that time because I couldn't go home and sleep, I had to revise for my next exam,this was only a week of exams, and I don't want to go through this in a whole month! I don't want to waste my days catching up on sleep instead of revising. Would I be able to get sleeping pills? If not, what's the best way of getting my sleeping pattern back to normal?

Don't take pills they won't help but mess up your biological clock. Drink milk before bed and lay in a comfortable position. Eventually your body will shut down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by IKnowRight
Don't take pills they won't help but mess up your biological clock. Drink milk before bed and lay in a comfortable position. Eventually your body will shut down

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does milk actually work? I've tried it once but I found that it didn't help, should I try again?
Reply 3
Does milk actually work? I've tried it once but I found that it didn't help, should I try again?

Drink a whole glass and drink it fast so it takes action at the same time. Yes try again and lay in bad still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by IKnowRight
Drink a whole glass and drink it fast so it takes action at the same time. Yes try again and lay in bad still.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thanks, I've seen a lot of people saying the milk helps, but should I drink it warm or cold? sorry for all the questions
Reply 5
ok thanks, I've seen a lot of people saying the milk helps, but should I drink it warm or cold? sorry for all the questions

Whatever suits you. Warm may work better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm literally in the exact same sleeping pattern as you for the same reason.

That is all.

I dunno how to fix it.
Reply 7
Go to sleep right now. Stop staying up. Me too I got gcses soon and I always stay up
. Well goodnight.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Whatever you do, I would advise against sleeping pills. I've tried sleeping pills in the past as a quick fix, and it wasn't a quick fix at all. Even at half the recommended dose, I would wake up feeling drowsy and unrefreshed and usually ended up oversleeping, feeling like crap and messing up my body clock even more.

Try:

1. Getting enough exercise during the day
2. Making sure you're blocking out light during sleep hours, and only use a dim lamp before bed (or when you're supposed to be sleeping).
3. Don't eat anything at least 2-3 hours before bed
4. no caffeine 6 hours before bed.
5. Maybe try a hot shower to help you relax before bed to make it easier to sleep.
6. A can of red bull right before bed works wonders too. My mother swears by it.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm probably not the best person to give advice, seeing as my sleeping pattern is pretty much identical to yours, but I definitely wouldn't consider sleeping tablets. They won't fix your body clock and they make some people feel worse, I've stayed away from them for that reason.
Honestly, I'm not too sure what to suggest. Some people suggest doing an all nighter and then going to bed at a reasonable time the next day (in order to get up at a reasonable time). Doesn't work for me, I can't stick to it, but it may be worth a try...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I use sleeping pills to correct my sleeping pattern when I'm at university. Works wonders. Only downside is I can't concentrate in the morning lectures if I've taken one the night before.. So I take them on Saturdays. Or just bunk Mondays! I don't find they're as bad as people say they are :smile:
Reply 11
Sleeping pills cannot induce a proper natural sleep. They can help you fall asleep but it's unlikely it will correct your pattern. For example, if your natural sleeping time is 6am (at the moment), and you take a sleeping pill at 10pm or so, you may find that you will be able to fall asleep shortly after, but because your pattern is so out of order, you will wake up again before 6am.

The best thing to do is to try correct your pattern naturally. Go to sleep normally (by normally, I mean when you feel tired, even if it's at 6am). Force yourself to wake up at a much earlier time (say 9am or so). Force yourself to stay awake the entire day, and aim to go to sleep (only if you feel tired, which you probably will) at an appropriate time (in this case, midnight would be a good time). Repeat this process, waking up at the same time but gradually pulling your sleeping hour back until you are no longer able to fall asleep (and stay asleep) within 15/20 minutes.

In UK sleeping pills from online pharmacies are available now Over-the-Counter. That means buyers wouldn’t require to fulfill the pre-condition of possessing a doctor’s prescription to buy sleeping pills from these online pharmacies. However, not all sleeping pills are available without prescription yet. But, Z drugs or non-benzodiazepines can be purchased from the sources easily.

Quick Reply

Latest