The Student Room Group

Going from BSc Psychology to a complete whole new different field

I have just finished my BSc Psychology course an i am currently awaiting results, however i just wanted to know how many have taken a MSc degree in a completely different subject.

Did you guys have much trouble entering a different subject?

currently contemplating of moving in to finance.

Regards
You could do a finance related grad scheme. I don't know about doing the masters but you could definitely go into that area for a job
Reply 2
You may struggle with the mathematics requirements of an elite finance MSc program unless you take more classes beforehand, but you could also go for something softer like 'finance and X' (where X=business/investment/banking/management/etc) instead, its not like many private sector organisations are likely to know or care about the difference.

And yeah as interrobang says, you dont need a finance MSc (or any finance background really) to get into a finance/banking related grad scheme. It does help to have a prestigious university on your CV though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KingSchultz
I have just finished my BSc Psychology course an i am currently awaiting results, however i just wanted to know how many have taken a MSc degree in a completely different subject.

Regards

I have a month left of my BSc Psychology.
Doing a cognitive neuroscience masters, as I don't like the non biological psychology, just the med stuff :smile:
Most that do psych do something not within the field.
I was very tempting to learn programming and go into that - but will just do it as a hobby I guess.
What other subjects did you have in mind?
Best of luck with your results!
Meeeee! A masters can be studied to divert into another subject from your first degree.

I think a strong personal statement is key in terms of detailing why you want to do the masters and the skills that you acquired from your degree and or work experience that are relevant to it.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by KingSchultz

Regards

Hi! I'm 6 exams away from finishing my BSc in Psychology and I received an offer for a MSc in Management and Human Resources, so you can definitely go into a different subject. From what I've seen, MSc degrees usually require an undergraduate degree from a broad set of subjects (for instance, a BSc in a social science, like Psychology). Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest