The Student Room Group

KCL or Sussex University for International Political Economy MA?

I've applied for a Masters course in International Political Economy (IPE) at both King's College London and the University of Sussex. After receiving offers from both universities, I'm a bit confused on which one would offer better career prospects, as well as being stronger in the field.

I've taken many things in to consideration and have tried to weigh up the pro's and con's:

I'm aware that Sussex has a strong International Relations department as well as a Centre for Global Political Economy, whereas KCL's Department of European and International Studies is relatively new, although it has been developed out of collaboration of several departments which have been known to be reputable.

The course at Sussex is also half the price of KCL's one, but it would be longer for me to commute to, as I will be living at home in London.

Furthermore, KCL seems to be a more prestigious institution globally than Sussex, which is really beneficial for this field. But, the Sussex course also provides the option for a 6 week placement at an international organisation, however I'm not sure how competitive this is.

Would KCL being in the heart of London provide better networking and careers opportunities than Sussex?

I'll appreciate any advice, thanks!
Reply 1
Did you attend Open Day and reach out to current students and what is their verdict? What do you think of Analytical training of IPE (quant, comparative and case studies). Do you have strong politics/econ background?

You are quite correct that KCL's IPE is new as a result of collaboration. Sussex IPE is more established.

A useful indicator is to check career paths of alums at both programmes (career office query or LinkedIn)
Sussex is probably better for critical approaches to IPE; while King's is maybe a little less inclined toward a single approach to the field (even if I would expect critical theories to be popular). What kind of approach would you prefer? What are your preferred career goals?
Reply 3
I've attended a general open day for Sussex, but I didn't get much chance to speak to the other students to be honest; it was more of a general lecture about postgraduate studies, rather than the department in itself. I'm planning on arranging a visit to King's soon and hopefully will get to meet a few people at the department.

My undergraduate degree was in Economics, and I'm more interested in a general approach to IPE with a balance of Economic Theory and Political Science.

I'm keeping my options open career-wise, but in the long-run I do hope to work under an international/governmental organisation.
Original post by MUJ17
I've attended a general open day for Sussex, but I didn't get much chance to speak to the other students to be honest; it was more of a general lecture about postgraduate studies, rather than the department in itself. I'm planning on arranging a visit to King's soon and hopefully will get to meet a few people at the department.

My undergraduate degree was in Economics, and I'm more interested in a general approach to IPE with a balance of Economic Theory and Political Science.

I'm keeping my options open career-wise, but in the long-run I do hope to work under an international/governmental organisation.

If your undergrad background is economics, I would think King's might suit you better, tbh (personal opinion, though). Have you also looked at other options/applied to other universities? I would try to ask if, at King's, you can also choose modules from the Department of Political Economy for your electives. Anyways I would pick King's and not Sussex.
Sussex.

It has a worldwide reputation for all things to do with International Development/Economics/Political Science etc. Its where many overseas governments/NGOs send their staff for training. The contacts you make there will set you up for life.

Its also a beautiful campus Uni in a great setting and Brighton is an amazing place to be a student. Seaside, green hills, country pubs, cheaper accommodation and only a 50 minute train ride to London. What not to like?
Reply 6
Original post by polscistudent88
If your undergrad background is economics, I would think King's might suit you better, tbh (personal opinion, though). Have you also looked at other options/applied to other universities? I would try to ask if, at King's, you can also choose modules from the Department of Political Economy for your electives. Anyways I would pick King's and not Sussex.

To be honest I want to stay at home in London because it'll save a lot of money, so the only other unis which offer the course are City (not to keen on) and LSE (too late to apply and ridiculously expensive). I live in South London, so Sussex isn't too difficult to get to, but it's still not as convenient as King's. I am definitely swaying more towards King's, but just wanted to get a second opinion, because Sussex has a very good IR department.
Reply 7
Original post by MUJ17
To be honest I want to stay at home in London because it'll save a lot of money, so the only other unis which offer the course are City (not to keen on) and LSE (too late to apply and ridiculously expensive). I live in South London, so Sussex isn't too difficult to get to, but it's still not as convenient as King's. I am definitely swaying more towards King's, but just wanted to get a second opinion, because Sussex has a very good IR department.

May i ask you a question??What did you choose?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending