The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield - The Endcliffe Village

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SylwiaJoanna
One more question guys. For all the people who live/used to live in Endcliffe. Do you know if you're allowed to have a person staying over for a night. I'm talking about people who do not live in a village, like you're friend from old school or whatever? And what happens when there are people coming to visit you? Do they have to go somewhere and let someone know about it or can they just basically come straight to my room?

Loads of us had people. Protip is that you can move one of the sofas from the living room and fits at the bottom of your bed almost perfectly to leave room for the door to open. Basically, I think rule of thumb with it is it's fine as long as it's not a problem for your flat mates.

I'd never heard about the check-in stuff either :biggrin:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
So is it like 'legally' ok to stay over for a night? (I know, I know, I probably sound like an idiot right now lol)

Also, apparently there are some kind of checks, as in people come in to check your rooms... How often do they do it? Is it like they just quickly come in and have a look around or is it like a 'proper' check like in the army lol
Thanks for making this thread!!!
im gonna read through it all tomorrow
its gonna be quite helpful for me!!!!! :smile:
So is it like 'legally' ok to stay over for a night? (I know, I know, I probably sound like an idiot right now lol)

Also, apparently there are some kind of checks, as in people come in to check your rooms... How often do they do it? Is it like they just quickly come in and have a look around or is it like a 'proper' check like in the army lol

Of course it's legally ok for friends to come stay the night

They do have room checks every semester. They're just a quick check to make sure you're not breaking any of the contract rules. It's not like the army at all. You'll get emailed about it before it happens although it usually happens during the day when you're at lectures.
Is it 'legal' to have people stay over for a night though? And if so, then basically do you have to sign them in?

Also I've heard that there are some kind of checks once in a while. Is it like a proper 'military' check, or do they just come to your room have a quick look around and then leave? How often do they do them? Do they let you know that they're coming beforehand or is it a 'surprise'?
Is it 'legal' to have people stay over for a night though? And if so, then basically do you have to sign them in?

Also I've heard that there are some kind of checks once in a while. Is it like a proper 'military' check, or do they just come to your room have a quick look around and then leave? How often do they do them? Do they let you know that they're coming beforehand or is it a 'surprise'?

It's completely fine for you to have people stay the night, chick :smile: Trust me, they probably expect there to be more people in halls than they think there'll be! They check once a semester, and you'll get a letter/ email a week/ few days in advance. A flatmate had her room in a complete mess, bed not made, she'd gone through her underwear drawer that morning to find a particular pair of knickers or something, so clean underwear everywhere, and she still passed. They're more interested as to whether you bedroom is clean tbh. I'm assuming its just a quick check tbh.
Thank you so much (again lol)

I think I asked the same question twice because I thought that the first time around I didn't manage to post it, but then well I did manage lol

Also I assume that a lot of you are not from Sheffield. I'm from west london so it takes quite a while for me to get to sheffield (around 3hours by a coach). I was wondering how often did you visit your family homes? Did you feel homesick at the begging? There was one girl from my old high school who went to sheffield and she said that at first she visited her family home every weekend but then after a period of time she kid of gave up on it because she got used to living in sheffield and she truly enjoyed it (I'm hoping that I'll be happy at the end too lol)
Original post by JamJam87
Thanks for making this thread!!!
im gonna read through it all tomorrow
its gonna be quite helpful for me!!!!! :smile:

No problem :smile:

I'm also finding it very helpful. I never used to use Student room and now i regret that. I think that it's by far the best forum for students!

Also I assume that a lot of you are not from Sheffield. I'm from west london so it takes quite a while for me to get to sheffield (around 3hours by a coach). I was wondering how often did you visit your family homes? Did you feel homesick at the begging? There was one girl from my old high school who went to sheffield and she said that at first she visited her family home every weekend but then after a period of time she kid of gave up on it because she got used to living in sheffield and she truly enjoyed it (I'm hoping that I'll be happy at the end too lol)

Went home once a year for just general (or rather, my mum wanted me home for my birthday). Other than that, I was pretty busy so I didn't feel much like like going back, and then home christmas so that was fine. I only went home for a weekend at ~easter during first year, although second year I went back for the full three weeks (because student houses are cold :biggrin:)

Basically, it's up to you. One of my flat mates went home a bit more, and she was like 4-5 hours away. I didn't really care about going back though, nothing at home for me really even though it would probably only take 1.5 hours. Kept in touch with my mum by e-mail every week or two and that was enough.

I never felt homesick, but the first couple of weeks can be a bit unsettling. I don't like not knowing how to get to places/my surroundings so until you sort of work out the routes to university etc. it can feel kind of lonely if you get the lost feeling.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you allowed mini fridges in your rooms ?
Original post by Rlove95
Are you allowed mini fridges in your rooms ?

I don't remember anything against it. A couple of my flat mates certainly had them.
Original post by Nymthae
I don't remember anything against it. A couple of my flat mates certainly had them.

Okay that's good, thanks!

Quick Reply