The Student Room Group

Who thinks the number of A's at A-Level will go down this year?

With the whole no Jan exam? I know for subjects like Psychology, we have to learn two exams whereas if we had done the first one in January, our revision would have halved!
Surely this will affect the country as a whole though and grades will drop? What do you all think?

Scroll to see replies

hmm I think grade boundaries will fall instead, so the number of ppl getting top grades remains fairly consistent :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
wooooo that's brilliant! i hope so
haha I think we all do :smile: good luck with psychology by the way since I'm doing that too, mainly about timing in those exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I know! RS and psychology are the worst for me :frown: hopefully though everyone's in the same boat so it won't affect Uni applications ect
I'm actually quite happy about only having June exams.

if everyone does worse, my university will probably still take me. Plus I might be able to steal someone's place somewhere else through adjustment:colondollar:

If the boundaries lower, I benefit as I have less to focus on than others (only 5 exams!)

this is all makes me very happy
I wish they would publish AS level pass rates, everyone just sees the pass rate near 100% and assumes A levels must be really easy.
Hopefully some nice low grade boundaries this year though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
it can fall in 2 years when I'm at uni I want an A. but with psychology if the exam were in jan I'd of had a problem only finishing cognative last month & it's looking like we won't finish biological in time not having the jan exams makes it easier is you ask me because you can use a much broder range of knowledge due to more revision. So I'd live to thank Michael gove for doing that. even though I hate him.
Original post by Aph
it can fall in 2 years when I'm at uni I want an A. but with psychology if the exam were in jan I'd of had a problem only finishing cognative last month & it's looking like we won't finish biological in time not having the jan exams makes it easier is you ask me because you can use a much broder range of knowledge due to more revision. So I'd live to thank Michael gove for doing that. even though I hate him.

You'll be annoyed about it next year when if you want to resit an AS module you'll have to wait till june when you will have even more exams and more complicated stuff to remember for A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope the grade boundaries drop this year !
Honestly I think the boundaries will be at an all time lowest here. Those who leave it till last minute are even more screwed than they were previously. Those who have been working from the start are in just as good of a position as they would have been before.

I much prefer having only June exams, suits my way of working a lot better.
Reply 11
Hopefully universities will be more lenient in terms of accepting candidates who missed their offer.
Original post by GPODT
Hopefully universities will be more lenient in terms of accepting candidates who missed their offer.

well they can't be lenient to everyone so I think gcse grades will play an even bigger role this year for those who miss their uni offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GPODT

Universities are not 'Lenient' they will accept anyone who has net the offer and then IF they have more spaces to fill thy look at ho missed the offer by one grade etc.
There are three possible scenarios:
The grade boundaries stay normal and numbers meeting offers is similar to previous years
Grade boundaries are lowered because people can't cope with all the exams at once, numbers meeting offers will again be similar to previous years
Grade boundaries don't change but people do 'badly' less people get the top grades so the universities will have to accept people who missed the offer to fill spaces

The whole idea of universities being lenient is ridiculous, it's not like they sit there and say oh this poor student missed their offer we'll just let them in anyway if there are enough people who meet the offer to fill the spaces on the course and you don't then you won't get a place... Simple

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really sucks that this year the boundaries are being moved and we don't know what will happen. Our future depends on this!
Original post by hannah697
It really sucks that this year the boundaries are being moved and we don't know what will happen. Our future depends on this!

You don't know that the grade boundaries are moving, they move a little each year depending on how difficult people found the paper.
Anyway if the boundaries do drastically change (which I doubt they will) they will go down not up which would be a good thing for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ermahgerdexams
You don't know that the grade boundaries are moving, they move a little each year depending on how difficult people found the paper.
Anyway if the boundaries do drastically change (which I doubt they will) they will go down not up which would be a good thing for you

I don't mean grade boundaries, I mean boundaries of doing well. Sure, the grade boundaries might not move, but it's the fact that we don't know going into the exam that annoys me.
I personally would love to know what they're doing with the boundaries :P
Reply 17
Yeah, sucks when you take subjects like maths which has 3 exams for A2.
Reply 18
Original post by hannah697

You could just do some more work, then, when everyone else does badly, you'll look better. Stop moaning about it, it's not going to change anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop ****ing bitching if you are capeable of getting an A there shouldn't be much room for worry.

Quick Reply