The Student Room Group

Study Help

Hi, I wasnt quite sure where to post this... but the general gist of it is that I am really struggling with revision and my parents really arent helping...

I can't revise in my bedroom as there are way too many distractions, but my parents pretty much insist that I revise in there. I can't revise in the dining room as my dad watches sport in there so *distraction* and he would constantly ask what I am doing... I have tried revising in the living room, which is most successful, but then my mum came in and was like "I need you to go and revise somewhere else, I want to watch TV"... I then go and revise in the utility room... definitely not comfortable and it is really cold, then to top it off, they come in and are like "why are you revising in here?"

I cant revise out of my house because I live like 4 miles away from anywhere where I could possible revise other than a friends house where I would get no revision done at all.

What can I do? I have my GCSEs starting in under a month and I have nowhere to revise (+ the fact that I have a load of work to hand in tomorrow and nowhere to do it either...). I want to be revising, but I just cant due to all the distractions...

Not only is there the location issue but there is also the fact that I dont actually get how to revise... i mean all I really do is make notes, which I found to be completely pointless, and then do past papers which get me down when I can't do some of the questions...

And tips/advice would be very greatly appreciated!

Bryony
Original post by BryonyG98
Hi, I wasnt quite sure where to post this... but the general gist of it is that I am really struggling with revision and my parents really arent helping...

I can't revise in my bedroom as there are way too many distractions, but my parents pretty much insist that I revise in there. I can't revise in the dining room as my dad watches sport in there so *distraction* and he would constantly ask what I am doing... I have tried revising in the living room, which is most successful, but then my mum came in and was like "I need you to go and revise somewhere else, I want to watch TV"... I then go and revise in the utility room... definitely not comfortable and it is really cold, then to top it off, they come in and are like "why are you revising in here?"

I cant revise out of my house because I live like 4 miles away from anywhere where I could possible revise other than a friends house where I would get no revision done at all.

What can I do? I have my GCSEs starting in under a month and I have nowhere to revise (+ the fact that I have a load of work to hand in tomorrow and nowhere to do it either...). I want to be revising, but I just cant due to all the distractions...

Not only is there the location issue but there is also the fact that I dont actually get how to revise... i mean all I really do is make notes, which I found to be completely pointless, and then do past papers which get me down when I can't do some of the questions...

And tips/advice would be very greatly appreciated!

Bryony

There's a simple answer to this: turn your bedroom into somewhere you can study. You dismiss your bedroom using the excuse "there are way too many distractions" - seriously? If you find that you keep getting distracted by your phone or the internet in your room, then remove those distractions. If you don't have the self control to keep off your phone, get someone to keep it whilst you revise or simply switch it off completely. Similarly, if you get distracted on the internet, switch off the internet. Disconnect yourself from the wireless network or remove the ethernet cable. Regardless of what people say, you do not need the internet to revise, especially not at GCSE. If you want to do past papers, download them and then switch off the internet. You do have somewhere to revise, the only thing you lack is the willpower.

In terms of how to revise, there's no panacea that works for everyone. For a lot of people, making notes and flashcards does help, but there are tons of other methods that work for different people because everyone's learning style is different, so you've got to find out how you learn best, preferably quickly because you don't have the benefit of time at the moment. If you find that making notes is pointless, don't make notes. Obviously you won't be able to do some of the questions in past papers otherwise you wouldn't need to revise in the first place. When you get a question wrong, you find out the right answer in the mark scheme, learn it and make sure you don't make that mistake again. You don't learn by getting things right, you learn by making mistakes and past papers are your best friend. If you get a lot of questions wrong, redo the exam paper. Really, you ought to have completed all of the past papers by the time your exam comes, redoing them all until it's at the standard you want to achieve.

There's also quite a lot of advice here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4168-revision-help-tips-and-advice

Quick Reply

Latest