The Student Room Group

Bad Experience With Open University

I have enrolled on a Computing Degree Course with OU. Everything looked promising, the reviews, the uni rankings, so I gave them a try. I received my learning materials in post nearly 1 month before the course started, which is good, because I could study early, sadly that wasn't the case.

Reasons why I had bad experience:

1. The Website - The Website is not user friendly at all. I am a freelance programmer who has knowledge in web-development field and even I was confused with the interactions. An example of a good user friendly website would be a menu that has each tab named eg. Submit Assignment Here! or Forums a good example like the tab that student room has. The main page has a link to which is named "Your Degree Name" then when you click it, everything just eh it just makes you think Where is everything. If A have a problem with the interaction then think about a new person who likes an degree but don't have the knowledge even with basic web-based searches.

2. The Misleading News and Information - In Feb 12, 2014 OU has announced the "Student Support" team, that will help you pick a course AND help you with your current studies, which means that if a tutor will not be there for you in a specific time then you will get helped when you call the student support time. I was happy, because the tutor that supported the students was a nightmare, but I will talk about this in the next point. The reason for my happiness was that I truly thought I will get more support... and pass, but the joy turned my smile upside down. I called the student support team and the women who picked up the phone was clueless, she was part of the team but she re-directed me to different people that I didn't want. after couple of days I called up again, another guy answered the phone and he said that the team only specializes in help the right course for you. That was it. Which is very misleading, why would someone announce something that is a big thing for them and even OU made a special page for it and Created a video explaining on how this will benefit everybody, the new students AND the current students. A student support team who can't even help you direct you to a specific page in a book to help with the assignment. ironic.

Support - This one shocked me the most. A cheap courses that I enrolled for, it was a it was about £120 had far better EVEN far Greater support then the OU, and wait a second, the price of the degree is? £15,000?
this is a total joke. You pay this amount of money, for couple of slims books and an access to v.i.p online library ?. This is just poor. Even writing this even now opens my eyes more about the OU. I got a tutor, which was not even qualified to help students with a degree. One Point of an lecture would be to have it from a doctor or a professor who is deeply involved with the roots in a specific subject,mine was computing. The tutor had bad background, the support he was giving excuse my language - ****.
OU Website, he wrote that when he is open to take phone calls. I called him twice every day same hours. (I like to be consistent) Not even once he answered, well after when I reported this to OU he was told by OU to answer my call. So He did. it was even pointless, due to general information he gave me about the course. after that he did not bother to answer and everything after it was just voice mail for couple of days. His reply to a question via Email was slow and waste of time. as we had deadlines to meet. the response was not that helpful and the OU seen not to care at all. The funny thing is that he scheduled tutorials at 7pm which suited him the best, and I couldn't even attend one of them due to my work. I explained the situation and it was in a calm way ignored by the tutor and the OU wanted to re-arrange a one to one tutorial BUT it was after when I dropped out. I dropped out because of an tutor who did not give me support, please tell me, should this be the case? a student who wants to peruse a good career in a IT to go to downfall because of an organisation who promises help but in return give little to none and then write fake reviews here and to attract fresh students and experience this ? I also heard that there students who pass etc, but in a group of 20, who many will pass in a specific subject? maybe 5? that is just disgraceful. a top on that, I need to pay back my tuition fees like £1000 for nothing?

Entry requirements - This is the funny one, OU expects from every level to come and enroll on their degrees, but gives small support which results? people dropping out, and gives them profit, since you have to pay back the money. Why people are dropping out? what is the cause?

Stress. You expected to succeed but failed due to lack of small things which makes you depressed and my mental state is healthy, I was and I am self-driven with motivation freelancer with ambitions in life, and I had to struggle with this, now imagine students with less healthy states, because you tend to be in that situation when society tells you everything that you need to do this and that, university = jobs etc etc and you look for cheap and alternative ways to overcome stupid obstacles with paying large amounts of money, where as you could just stand up look at the obstacles and just jump over them, it is that easy.

I understand that everyone will probably back-up OU and say that I am wrong etc. Well the thing you don't know is how I experienced it. I explained the major ones and not going to waste more time on minor ones.

Want to be successful ? buy a book in a specific subject and self study. it will take quicker and it will cost less. People say that you won't get a job after taking a degree in history or religion. this is wrong. The common thing is that if you study computer science/maths/engineering you will most likely get a job. WRONG. it is the same as other subjects. you learn few things along the way and improve your "personality" boost your confidence and that is it majority you will learn it while applying for a job. My friend was 19 finishing sixth form. He didn't want to go to UNI so he has done a course in accountancy and he had LUCK in the interview that they hired him. I see why they did hire him, it was not because lack of experience nor education for specific field, they just liked him during the interview. and I don't doubt that since he was my friend since childhood till now.

Thanks fellow students and newcomers. Don't take anything personally I said laid one my experiences, since I only saw positive reviews which was kinda fishy. everyone can make an account and write stuff.

Peace.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thanks mate. for your lengthy, in-depth insight into the OU, i am thinking of doing the Mathematics Degree, but I'm not sure about it now......
I'm going ask to talk other fellow students before i sign up
Original post by TazK85
thanks mate. for your lengthy, in-depth insight into the OU, i am thinking of doing the Mathematics Degree, but I'm not sure about it now......
I'm going ask to talk other fellow students before i sign up

I did (or at least when I do my final exam in Oct I will have done.....) a joint hons in Maths and Computing. I've enjoyed it but recently the OU have implemented a lot of changes which seem to be badly executed and no ones quite sure of new rules. The new fees are horrendous but that's what it costs as it is no longer subsidised by the government so they have to get the cash instead from us poor buggers. But I don't regret doing it as it's got me a job in software development that I love and what I have learnt has been useful and challenging. Yes the books could be written better but it's still better than when I was at brick uni trying to read my horribly fast scrawled notes from lectures!
I think you have to take it with a pinch of salt........yes they will be some bad reviews of people venting frustration and some seemingly impossible good ones. The OU is not without its faults (far from it at times) but do your research, talk to people who have done the same course, modules, shop around for similar courses and weigh up your options.

FYI the Student support team is more for administration ; picking modules, prerequisites, linking to qualifications, degree pathways and what to do if your struggling or something comes up like bereavement and to offer advice not so much to help with the actual studying of a subject.

You can also attend other tutors tutorials (online and f2f) so you don't just have to have tutorials with them. TBH I've barely used my tutor other than the odd email asking for extensions, little bit of clarification on something that sort of thing. It does come down to a LOT of independent study.

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose. x
I think the ou can really vary from course to course for example the health and social care courses really suit me and tutors are really friendly approachable and work really suits me

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is really tragic. The OU was started by Harold Wilson and should be a pioneer, beacon and standard bearer for high quality and inexpensive online degree level education. Now it is just a financial black hole for the student offering a **** poor user experience.
Original post by Old_Simon
This is really tragic. The OU was started by Harold Wilson and should be a pioneer, beacon and standard bearer for high quality and inexpensive online degree level education. Now it is just a financial black hole for the student offering a **** poor user experience.

The OU lost half it's funding thanks to the current government. Everyone said the burden would be put on the students and education would suffer for it. The governments reasoning at the time is too many people wanting an education, too many wanting to better their employment opportunities.

Everyone said this would happen and it has and as you can see so many modules have ended and never come back and there is less choice and less tutorial time. And things are more central than regional now.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/open-university-faces-84million-in-cuts-267707
I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing now :/ A bit late tho... starting my BSc (Honours) degree in psychology tomorrow :/ xx
Reply 7
I've found my experience with the OU quite positive but I know it's not for everyone. The experience does vary according to what you're studying so I'd suggest that everyone reads the reviews of the modules they'd like to take as some of the thoughts from previous students can be eye opening.
Reply 8
I studied with the OU for 6 years only to be given a worthless degree that they seem to think it is recognised, however all the employers I have been to do not recognise it. So I spend all my time and money on nothing. It is a constant battle to get the right courses as well as advice as the people on the phone do not know what they are talking about half of the time. Go anywhere else BUT the Open University.
Original post by talija
I studied with the OU for 6 years only to be given a worthless degree that they seem to think it is recognised, however all the employers I have been to do not recognise it. So I spend all my time and money on nothing. It is a constant battle to get the right courses as well as advice as the people on the phone do not know what they are talking about half of the time. Go anywhere else BUT the Open University.

What degree did you do? (and what honours level? As a Third degree probably seen as worthless by many people regardless of subject/university.....unless you are carol vorderman!) Mine has been worthwhile and recognised by my employers and by brick uni's I've been in contact with about the possible prospect of a masters.

Do agree with some of the people on the phone though. It' like half the information on changes does get filtered down the ranks. However I had a very nice lady in the end called Beverly who sorted everything out for me after about 3 previous bad phone calls!
Reply 10
I have now given up study with the useless OU. to be brief, no text books, no support from a so called tutor, tutorials over 67 miles away, hopeless student support... Need I go on?!!
The website is useless and there is no way anyone can study using the resources. They claim we prefer online study as opposed to books but who ga e them that idea? Its to save the ou money and make us use a crap website. My advice?? DO NOT STUDY WITH THE OPEN UNIVERSITY!! Its a joke and you are about as likely to get a degree as a dead duck!!! Do bot waste your money or time!!!
My experience with the OU was nothing but exemplary. The tutors were of the highest calibre (2 from Oxford), the materials comprehensive, both online and book form, and were more integrated than my previous experience at a Russell group, and no question to the tutors was too small. Compare this to my old brick uni, where students were a mere distraction from their research. Alongside the course material, there is a massive focus on transferable skills and time management, essential when having to juggle life and study.
I graduated last month with a First Class science degree, so it IS possible IbizaLaw. Perhaps having less of a negative attitude to something different might help.
Im in my second year with Open Uni doing Physics and Maths. I think your wrong, apart from the Student Support Team which is really hit or miss! You have to remember they are basically customer services and the admin team to the university. They are split into regional teams and also then split into subject teams. If your doing Computer and Maths you have two support teams and will will take priority over the other, mine is Science support team. Anything technical you need to use the forums or talk to your tutor. Some tutors are hit or miss, I've done 5 modules and had one tutor who didn't get involved as much as the others, but he still was okay! You can change tutor by the way if you aren't happy with one who isn't put as much effort as others. However remember... you can view recorded module wide tutorials and also join tutorials from other tutors.

The website is really well designed and you need to take an hour finding out all about it. It has a wealth of information at your finger tips and the module forums, tutor group forums and community forums are excellent. Post a problem and students, teachers, tutors, moderators post excellent replies. Im also enrolled at a brick university doing another part time course alongside Open Uni and the brick universities alternative to open uni website called blackboard is not even in the same league.
(edited 9 years ago)
Unfortunately, 'doing your research' on the courses offered by the OU is not the answer. First, in-depth info on their modules is now very hard to get. They revamped their website (meaning it's now even more convoluted and badly constructed as before, with less straight-forward information and many more links which often dead-end or lead to nowhere informative) and for any questions posed you are required to give (repeatedly, even if logged-in!) detailed personal information about yourself.
The student reviews on modules are well-chosen (i.e. mostly overly positive) to attract new clients. And it's always pot luck which tutor you get (and he's the one you're getting your grades from). There are some very good ones - and there are those who don't prepare their tutorials, don't prepare handouts, only read your written assignments once (I have proof of that), often at considerable speed so they overlook things or misunderstand your argument. I've had tutors who don't understand the subject-specific vocabulary I used in some of my essays (here I should explain that I came from the same humanities background as the tutor, but with higher qualifications and more experience). - Hence, it can be a very frustrating experience to study at the OU.
I had positive experience with OU and planning to come back. Even met more students from my group and online and keeping in touch with them till now.
I have so far HNC after completing 1st year and as far as I can see its recognised and appreciated from employers that it was done this not the other way around as well.
Reply 15
So sorry to hear this. I did my degree (Bsc Hons Technology) with the OU so that I could become a DT teacher. The qualification was held in high regard and it also bagged me a place on the teacher training course above others because it showed an ability to work independently and commitment ( their words not mine). I am now a fully qualified secondary school teacher. What was this (worthless ) qualification.
Reply 16
ive almost completed my degree with the OU - its a psychology degree. since the new fees have been implemented and they changed the way courses were structured - its been not so good. i had a query with my last essay and my tutor didn't reply - and as a result i called student support - who engaged in some kind of chinese whispers - and totally changing what i was saying. i think that student support is now run by double glazing sales agents - thats the feeling i got. the guy who i spoke to - the learning support manager - followed his flow chart of procedures nicely. all the time i'm becoming increasingly upset - since with the ou every essay counts towards your final grade - and the more upset i become the more jobs worthy he becomes making me increasingly upset. the conversation ive just had makes me want to not study with the ou anymore. having said that - this is the first module ive done where the support has been so terrible - its hard to explain how stressful it is though when things go wrong - this way of studying can be alot of pressure. personally - if i had the chance again - i'd go to a bricks and mortar university
Reply 17
I can sympathise. I'm just finishing up my humanities degree with them and I'm far from happy. It's bittersweet, I suppose. Were it not for OU I would have never finished my degree but other than that, I've got very little good to say about my experience. I did my first year at a bricks and mortar university and started a BA in history. I had to abandon that for mostly financial reasons and attempted to continue my history degree with the OU. The history course and the course books were so dire that I had to switch to a humanities degree, discontinue one module altogether at my own cost and take up what's essentially a lesser degree. I made the mistake of taking a creative writing course with a god awful tutor who had a BA in English from a while back, had no background in teaching and seemed to be in it to stroke her own ego. The marking was incredibly subjective, biased and often, as others have said - arguably rushed. I stopped participating in the forums when it became apparent she had zero idea what she was talking about, was giving wrong information that was contradictory to any academic source on the matter.

The english modules I've done have lazy TMA options, most of which aren't questions at all and remind me of elementary assignments given to me prior to A levels. My french tutor (I was born in France, speak fluently but very rusty with writing/grammar) quite obviously uses google translate to write basic emails. It's mostly obvious because they make very little sense and barely qualify as 'Frenglish'. This makes me very concerned about her ability to mark my written work properly. However, she does claim to be a university lecturer, in French cinema...which I'm assuming must be taught in English.

My English tutor this year is fine, however as I've mentioned, the TMA options are bloody terrible, lazy and quite frankly feel like you're entering into them blind as there's no direction to them whatsoever. There's a complete lack of support, specifically when approaching the EMA - very broad yet restrictive questions. Told to go to EMA forum, rather than given advice from tutors. I pay money out of my own pocket for a degree, not advice from other students that similarly have no idea what they're talking about. I shouldn't have to rely on fellow students talking what could be rubbish in a forum, that's not educational or value for money.

The entire thing feels like pissing in the wind and has been extremely stressful. Not any of the academic part, just dealing with the OU and rubbish tutors. If I had known the details of the courses, I may have chosen differently but it seems purposely vague and the website is terrible. I've also been receiving so many useless, unwanted emails about events, various marketing type emails etc...that I've been trying to unsubscribe from for two years. Despite changing preferences and getting in touch with tech support, I'm still receiving sometimes several unwanted emails a day. If I put them to spam, all OU emails go to spam inc important ones.

The whole thing feels disingenuous and I feel like they're taking the absolute P***. It feels similar to a for-profit university like the ones that are currently being investigated in America. Obviously, at least OU is a recognised and respected degree but the standards of teaching, student support and general customer service is poor in my experience. My partner is finishing up a degree with a bricks and mortar university at the moment and despite having excellent and QUALIFIED tutors has had a terrible experience with student support/services. Perhaps poor support and money grabbing is part of the norm in the higher education business now, but I'd very much advise young (or old like me) people looking at starting a degree to look elsewhere. Don't leave it to potluck with OU, especially not with them charging almost as much as a bricks and mortar university now. 5,000+ per year for a couple of books, a website and someone (who may or may not be qualified) to mark your assignments is utterly ridiculous.

Two EMAs and I'm finished, thankfully!
Original post by Davidswift9
Im in my second year with Open Uni doing Physics and Maths. I think your wrong, apart from the Student Support Team which is really hit or miss! You have to remember they are basically customer services and the admin team to the university. They are split into regional teams and also then split into subject teams. If your doing Computer and Maths you have two support teams and will will take priority over the other, mine is Science support team. Anything technical you need to use the forums or talk to your tutor. Some tutors are hit or miss, I've done 5 modules and had one tutor who didn't get involved as much as the others, but he still was okay! You can change tutor by the way if you aren't happy with one who isn't put as much effort as others. However remember... you can view recorded module wide tutorials and also join tutorials from other tutors.

The website is really well designed and you need to take an hour finding out all about it. It has a wealth of information at your finger tips and the module forums, tutor group forums and community forums are excellent. Post a problem and students, teachers, tutors, moderators post excellent replies. Im also enrolled at a brick university doing another part time course alongside Open Uni and the brick universities alternative to open uni website called blackboard is not even in the same league.

Hi, I have been considering the idea of studying a double degree in maths and physics, I've decided I'm definitely taking a part-time course in order to juggle with a CS BSc at a brick uni which is full time, I'd appreciate it a bunch if you gave me an insight on how things work and whether it is likely that I can cope with the workload by taking a part-time course. I already achieved good command of single-variable calculus, linear algebra and linear geometry, Having a look at the contents I think it might take me longer to grasp essential mathematics two but the first part is rather doable. How about the questions in science module? is it demanding? Thank you very much for your support, the truth is I really needed to get in touch with someone who is enrolled in that same course and it took me long to find him.

Cheers.
(edited 7 years ago)
This topic has sealed the deal and I wont be using the OU

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending