The Student Room Group

How does a cash ISA work

One which I saw said it will give me a 1.8 percent interest per year

Up to £5,940 can be invested in a Cash ISA with the remaining balance invested in a Stocks and Shares ISA
You cannot pay into more than one Cash ISA each tax year, and you cannot pay into more than one Stocks and Shares ISA each tax year
You can pay into one Cash ISA and one Stocks and Shares ISA each tax year

So saw if I put £2000 to start of with am I allowed to put more money in each year say another £2000 and so on. Also what happens if I have more than £6.000 in my account will I still get the extra interest or not. How much tax will i have to pay?
You can put up to the limit each and every year into an ISA.
The limit is about to be increased to £15K in July.
Original post by balotelli12
You can put up to the limit each and every year into an ISA.
The limit is about to be increased to £15K in July.

Ok so even if you put 15k next year in an ISA would that all be tax free including the returns you would gain?
Yes and £30K the next year, and so on.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Ok so even if you put 15k next year in an ISA would that all be tax free including the returns you would gain?

balotelli12's addressed this point, though bear in mind that you can only make use of each tax year's ISA allowance during the year in question - so if you don't invest the full £15k before the end of the tax year (5 April each year), that allowance doesn't carry forward for use in future years.

Money Saving Expert's ISA guide is pretty good at explaining the fundamentals of how they work - you might also like to take a look here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/ISA-guide-savings-without-tax

Let us know if you have any other questions about them. :smile:
Original post by Illusionary
balotelli12's addressed this point, though bear in mind that you can only make use of each tax year's ISA allowance during the year in question - so if you don't invest the full £15k before the end of the tax year (5 April each year), that allowance doesn't carry forward for use in future years.

Money Saving Expert's ISA guide is pretty good at explaining the fundamentals of how they work - you might also like to take a look here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/ISA-guide-savings-without-tax

Let us know if you have any other questions about them. :smile:

Thanks I only have one question say if I opened an ISA now the ones were you have 120 day notice and put £2k this year would I be able to put £2k the next year again and so on...
Thanks I only have one question say if I opened an ISA now the ones were you have 120 day notice and put £2k this year would I be able to put £2k the next year again and so on...

There's nothing in the ISA rules that would prevent this, but you should check that the terms and conditions of the account in question (which can include additional restrictions for some accounts) also allow this. I'd expect that this would probably be fine though.
Original post by Illusionary
There's nothing in the ISA rules that would prevent this, but you should check that the terms and conditions of the account in question (which can include additional restrictions for some accounts) also allow this. I'd expect that this would probably be fine though.

Ok thanks what would happen if you put over £15k in how much tax will you have to pay on the interest
Ok thanks what would happen if you put over £15k in how much tax will you have to pay on the interest

See here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ISA/faqs.htm#16 :smile:

In general, income tax on interest outside of an ISA is at the same marginal rate as you'd pay on employment income, which starts at 20%.
Reply 9

You can't put more into the account.

The difference between the limit and what you try to put in will be returned to you.
Original post by Quady
You can't put more into the account.

The difference between the limit and what you try to put in will be returned to you.

Ok so from July the bare maximum you can put is £15k? Can't you have 2 ISAs if you have over 15k
Ok so from July the bare maximum you can put is £15k? Can't you have 2 ISAs if you have over 15k

The annual ISA limit rises to £15,000 from July, yes. If you were to invest more than £15,000 across multiple accounts, I'd expect the details as per my link to come into play.

No.
You can only open 1 cash ISA per year.
Reply 13

Only if they are from different years.

You can't open one with Barclays and one with Santandar in the same tax year.

(Well you probably could but sometime in 2015 HMRC would be on your back...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending