The Student Room Group

Dreading coming home for summer

I'm currently home for the easter hols and have another 2 weeks left before I go back to uni for end of year exams. I usually like being home but after being home a week me and my mom had an argument over something ridiculous (I think she's in the wrong, she thinks I am etc) and we haven't spoken since.

I stayed somewhere else last week but can't again. I'm not too bothered at the moment as I spend most of my time in my room relaxing/revising and what not. The thing I'm really dreading is coming home for around 5 months after my exams :frown:

I don't think we'll make up properly because she is just annoyed at EVERYTHING anyone does lately (my family say the same) and I can't deal with it any more, I don't really have anywhere else to stay though and nobody in my uni house is staying past May so don't really want to stay up at uni either.

I don't know what to do for summer, any ideas? What gets you out of the house quite a bit without costing too much?
I'm hoping to get a job, but if I don't get one I'll be home ALL the time and it would make me unbearably miserable.

Also sorry for the long post/rant..
Reply 1
If it was over something ridiculous, then just apologise and make up. You can't just ignore your mother forever, and if it will cause you significant problems in the future you'd be better just swallowing your pride and making up.
Why do you think she's so irritable at the minute?
Reply 3
Original post by Shelly_x
If it was over something ridiculous, then just apologise and make up. You can't just ignore your mother forever, and if it will cause you significant problems in the future you'd be better just swallowing your pride and making up.

I know I can't ignore her and am going to apologise but I just think there will be another issue, then another...

It only took a week this time so I just mean I'd rather be home as little as possible in the summer to prevent more arguments.
Reply 4
Original post by qwertyking
Why do you think she's so irritable at the minute?

I really don't know, when I was last home everyone was fine but now she's always shouting at someone or on the phone moaning about us all :confused:
Original post by Anonymous
I really don't know, when I was last home everyone was fine but now she's always shouting at someone or on the phone moaning about us all :confused:

How old is she? The menopause is the first thing that popped into my mind :tongue: You could try just asking her how she is - she might open up to you. It sounds like there's another issue anyway.
Reply 6
How old is she? The menopause is the first thing that popped into my mind :tongue: You could try just asking her how she is - she might open up to you. It sounds like there's another issue anyway.

I guess it could be, she's a little younger than the average though haha.
She's quite stubborn though, if that's even the right word, in that she wouldn't speak to me about things that are wrong with her but I'll give it a go as there must be something else up, thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I guess it could be, she's a little younger than the average though haha.
She's quite stubborn though, if that's even the right word, in that she wouldn't speak to me about things that are wrong with her but I'll give it a go as there must be something else up, thanks :smile:

Parents often aren't great at opening up to their children, as they see it as a role reversal. It's worth a try though :smile:
Reply 8
Parents often aren't great at opening up to their children, as they see it as a role reversal. It's worth a try though :smile:

Yeah I guess, have no other ideas so will do haha

thanks for your help! :smile:
Get a full-time job during the holidays.
Have you asked her why she's irritable with everyone? If it genuinely IS everyone, then obviously it's not just you and her who have the problem. You don't know what she's going through. Mums are people too, they can't be all happy and smiley all the time - things happen.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Have you asked her why she's irritable with everyone? If it genuinely IS everyone, then obviously it's not just you and her who have the problem. You don't know what she's going through. Mums are people too, they can't be all happy and smiley all the time - things happen.

Yeah we had a talk, turned into another argument and she asked me to leave.
Staying somewhere else at the moment, really really dreading summer now :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending