The Student Room Group

How to reject politely.

Hello, to help with my A levels I have started a revision club and it is highly successful so far. However, some females have expressed an interest in joining the group and neither me nor any other of the members want to admit female members (It is nothing personal just that we do not wish to spoil the environment). So we would like to reject them but not in a cruel manner. Has anyone got any advice on how to achieve this?

Scroll to see replies

Why would it spoil the environment? And from reading this it comes across quite sexist which is not cool...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophtommo
Why would it spoil the environment? And from reading this it comes across quite sexist which is not cool...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is nothing personal. Simply that if there are females present, then possibly some of the current members will try to impress them, therefore causing divisions. The women are welcome to start their own revision group if they want though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Bump.
Well why don't you kick out the ones who would muck about, rather than refusing female members on what could 'perhaps' happen. Surely you'd like people with different viewpoints on things - it makes the learning process far more interesting.
Scared they'll give you cooties? :giggle:
Original post by endlesswarmth
It is nothing personal. Simply that if there are females present, then perhaps some of the current members will try to impress them, therefore causing divisions. The women are welcome to start their own revision group if they want though.

Oh so you don't mind women studying, as long as they're segregated from you guys? Instead of not letting girls join, why don't you get rid of the boys that insist on causing problems by trying to impress girls?
Reply 7
you ridiculous human being
Reply 8
Original post by LCRMG
Scared they'll give you cooties? :giggle:

Why would you want to play with the girls? :yucky:
'We don't allow bitches in this group, we a bitch-free environment, bitches.'

Should do it.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Well why don't you kick out the ones who would muck about, rather than refusing female members on what could 'perhaps' happen. Surely you'd like people with different viewpoints on things - it makes the learning process far more interesting.

Yes but some of the current members are my close friends. We voted on it and decided not to allow female members. There is a great flow going on at the moment and I really do not want to disrupt it. Women can have women only groups and men can have men only groups. It was decided in a democratic manner. The point now is how to reject the members in a polite manner. There is no desire to damage feelings at all.
Original post by darkred
you ridiculous human being

I think your nickname "oxygen thief" suits you well.
Original post by sophtommo

Posted from TSR Mobile

If this is sexist then so are all-female London clubs, TSR societies and, in my university's case, zumba classes, but then women always seem to keep curiously silent when it comes to those...

There is such a thing as acceptable sexism in private life, just as any reasonable person agrees it is acceptable to discriminate based on skin colour in personal relationships due to sexual preferences. It doesn't hurt anyone for private individuals to organise single-sex groups. If the excluded sex would like to take part in the activity I see no reason why they can't create their own instead of wasting time and energy throwing their toys out of the pram.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes but some of the current members are my close friends. We voted on it and decided not to allow female members. There is a great flow going on at the moment and I really do not want to disrupt it. Women can have women only groups and men can have men only groups. It was decided in a democratic manner. The point now is how to reject the members in a polite manner. There is no desire to damage feelings at all.

You're screwed when you go to uni.
I think you should tell them exactly what you've put here - after hearing it I doubt they'd want to revise with you any way.
Original post by ryan9900
'We don't allow bitches in this group, we a bitch-free environment, bitches.'

Should do it.

No, that will not work. The decision was made purely as to help current members we do not wish to hurt feelings at all.
Original post by Birkenhead
If this is sexist then so are all-female London clubs, TSR societies and, in my university's case, zumba classes, but then women always seem to keep curiously silent when it comes to those...

If they particularly say that men can't join, then yes, that is is sexist.
I think your nickname "oxygen thief" suits you well.

are you scared of talking to girls or something?
Original post by ILovePancakes
You're screwed when you go to uni.
I think you should tell them exactly what you've put here - after hearing it I doubt they'd want to revise with you any way.

Hey, there is no need for swiping comments as another user has mentioned there are plenty of groups which only admit women.
introduce a fee for the ladies to join your group.
Hey, there is no need for swiping comments as another user has mentioned there are plenty of groups which only admit women.

Which I agreed were sexist.

Quick Reply

Latest