The Student Room Group

All my sons and i'm the king of the castle IGCSE

Any advice on how to write an a* essay on them? thank you!
Well we've been doin practice 45 minute timed essays and I've been getting either 24/25 or 23/25 (A* hypothetically). Basically what i do is to try to get about 20-25 quotes which you can make deep linguistic analysis on; if the quotes you choose are too simple then you won't get marks. From what we've done I class, the main themes for I'm the king of the castle are; Holden as a dominant, and malignant figure (symbolic of the crow), the parents as materialistic, the lack of emotional connection between kingshaw and his mother, kingshaw's fragmented mental state due to Hooper's torment, and fielding as an almost angelic figure. In all my sons, (I think it's harder than I'm the king of the castle 😜) try to include themes such as Kate's fragmented mental state and her illusionary view on the world, joes obsession with monetary gain and materialism, Chris as a choric figure (he speaks the word of the audience), Chris's fight between pragmatism and idealism, joe and Kate's selfishness, and always include at least one point on stagecraft (I.e. How is the play seen on stage) by saying something like 'at this point in the play, the audience would see...'. I hope this helped!! Oh yeh also try to include someone and interesting words and hopefully you should be fine!! I'm so nervous for the English language paper next week! And good luck for lit paper!! 😄
Reply 2
I've got the same exams but the short stories instead of I'm the king of the castle
Are u guys going to do 2 passage based questions and an essay on the poems? (I'm guessing you're doing cie?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by lewigraham
Well we've been doin practice 45 minute timed essays and I've been getting either 24/25 or 23/25 (A* hypothetically). Basically what i do is to try to get about 20-25 quotes which you can make deep linguistic analysis on; if the quotes you choose are too simple then you won't get marks. From what we've done I class, the main themes for I'm the king of the castle are; Holden as a dominant, and malignant figure (symbolic of the crow), the parents as materialistic, the lack of emotional connection between kingshaw and his mother, kingshaw's fragmented mental state due to Hooper's torment, and fielding as an almost angelic figure. In all my sons, (I think it's harder than I'm the king of the castle ������) try to include themes such as Kate's fragmented mental state and her illusionary view on the world, joes obsession with monetary gain and materialism, Chris as a choric figure (he speaks the word of the audience), Chris's fight between pragmatism and idealism, joe and Kate's selfishness, and always include at least one point on stagecraft (I.e. How is the play seen on stage) by saying something like 'at this point in the play, the audience would see...'. I hope this helped!! Oh yeh also try to include someone and interesting words and hopefully you should be fine!! I'm so nervous for the English language paper next week! And good luck for lit paper!! ������

Thank you so much :smile: i'm terrified for literature- would it be possible to post a picture of one of your essays cause I can't seem to get above 19/25 which just hits an A I think.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest